butterwort ( ping. primaflora) and sundew adelae questions

Jacksonville, FL

So I bought some butterwort ( ping primaflora) and som sundew adelae. They are being housed in a 16 gallon bow front aquarium in the tray method. I first I thnk my butterworts are getting sunburned.
Second and my biggest problem is my sundew was housed outsie in full sun in my bog garden, which is 50/50 sand and peat. The bog is damp but not satturated and my sundew turned black so I brought it back inside to the terrarium. HELP!!! I want to save it. The seller I bought it from just sent me another ( one was back ordered) and it is doing great but I don't want to kill it. HELP!!

Thumbnail by chubbydoll
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Get them OUT of the aquarium for starters. Adaleas need bright light and no direct sun. Or at least early morning or late afternoon only. Same for the Nep. I have no experience with butterworts. 50% sand and peat is fine. I use perlite instead as I like that.

What kind of water do use use? Distilled or rain water ONLY. Or reverse osmosis.

Jacksonville, FL

I use RO/DI water only. I put them in the terrarium because in the book Savage Garden he states they were excellent for that application... he also stated the nep ( ventrosa and sang.) do gret in this application also. I live in zone 8b/9a do you think they would be find in bog garden? This picture was taken at 11am so it shows the amount of light it gets.

Thumbnail by chubbydoll
Jacksonville, FL

Oh an di should mention this bog was set up 2-3 weeks ago so some of the plants are still a little damaged from shipment.

Great book. However a terrarium is not needed for Adelae or the neps. Mine are inside in a west window in bright, indirect light. My Neps go outside in bright filtered sun after the last frost in the spring and come back in before first frost in the fall. These plants are normally NOT grown in enclosed areas.

The bog is nice, you have some nice Sarrs and purpea, they need dormancy in winter.

Jacksonville, FL

well I'm hoping that it will actually get cold here this year for more than the 5 days a year we have been experiencing for the past 3 years. Do I need to refridgerate them then if I don't get the winter I am hoping for?
Did you read my follow up post about the Nep. in the forum. I really need all the help I can get

The Sundew does NOT need dormancy. The Sarrs DO need dormancy so the fridge is a good way to do it. My Sarrs and VFTs will go in the fridge here in a few days. I have no experience with butterworts but a Google search should answer your questions.

Neps do NOT need dormancy, bright, indirect light during winter.

Jacksonville, FL

Thanks Tommyr2006.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.