An experiment that worked.!

Townsville, Australia

If you browse a few orchid nursery sites you may see "Treated" after some plants. I decided to treat a couple of adeniums and came away with these beauties.
Both were about 75ml or 3 inches but after the treatment both are flowering at 100ml or 4 inches.

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut
Townsville, Australia

A csecond shot of the red.

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut
Townsville, Australia

And this was an ordinary pink, now a big pink.

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut
Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

Ok, are you going to tell us how you "treated" them? Oh yeah, they are BEAUTIFUL, almost glow in the dark.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Spray n grow or messenger?

Townsville, Australia

There is a natural chemical from several species of African lilies which, when used on the growth point or seeds of other plants that can cause them to increase the number of chromosomes per cell. This is called the ploidy of the plant. Normal plants are Diploids IE 2 Chromosomes per cell.
Tetraploids have 4 and Triploids 3 . Referred to as 2n 3n 4n etc With the increase of ploidy comes an increase in size of plant parts, leaf, flower
and fruit. All the parts of plants which we eat or use in some way daily.
All uneaven ploidy plants are sterile such as the seedlss grape, watermellon and the navel orange. There are many natural high ploiudy plants but it is in our interest to make more as the leaves and fruit are much larger and more juicy. In nature the uneaven ploidy plants can not reproduce but with treatment we can induce them to double as well, thereby giving an even number of 6 or 10 which can then be used in a breeding program. At present I am working on a Passion fruit , trying to get pulp without seeds. So far they have only doubled (large but still seedy) but I am hopeful.The chemical can cause death within 3 hours by ingestion, contact or breathing the vapor, and there is no antidote so you can understand if I don,t name it. It is also a suspect carcinogen. Some with broken chromosomes also show as crestate ,but these are of little interest for fruit or leaf crop production.
The Species NUT.

Sounds neat, bee careful!!
pls ;)

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Don't use Messenger on Adenium. I tried it after having good success on Euphorbia. Defoliated all of the test plants.

Chris

yup, my experience as well.
I dont even use spray n grow on them either
Adeniums can be fussy about sprays.

Townsville, Australia

I have been using this chemical on orchids with excelent results for many years but they can take several years to show results. With Adeniums results can be seen within a year or so. It makes things a bit more interesting, and I am getting a bit old to be waiting years before seeing my babies flower now.
This is one of my better ones from a few years back. On testing it was found to be a chimera, with a broken set of chromosomes and of no use for breeding as it is sterile.

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut
Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

Yep, I bet it is toxic as anything, and freely available at those Halide and Hydroponic shops for the tomato growing crowd.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.