What is it and is it bad or good for my canna lilies?

Crestview, FL

I just got done planting about 38 rhizomes in the beds and now, there are two dragonfly looking/humming bird like bugs flying around like crazy. What are they? And are they good or bad for my cannas? They have a blue like abdomen and yellowish golden colored head, it is quite noisy and huge when it flies by like a humming bird, it is not a dragonfly so what is it? Please let me know immediately. I checked the bug files already and haven't seen anything like it yet.
joy112854

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

is it hummingbird moth of some sort? ..... Try http://www.whatsthatbug.com/

fun site - lots of pictures

Crestview, FL

Redtootsiepop: Tried that site no pictures of it on there that I can tell. This thing is loud when it flies by you and it's wings never stop flapping, it's not a bird but is huge, looks like a dragon fly but isn't. It has a yellowish golden head but the rest of it is a greenish/bluish color. I'm concerned because I don't want it to be laying any eggs on my new canna lilies. Believe me, if this thing flies by your ear you will jump at least a foot in the air, not that it is too huge but noisy. LOL
joy112854

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

time to pull out the camera and try to take a pic... please.. sounds interesting.

Crestview, FL

LaHasa Lover: I've got a bigger problem on my hands now, seems the new cannas I got in the leafs are turning brown and the stalks are blackish, they aren't growing. Now, my sister seems to think it's stress, my neighbor seems to think it's because Fall is on the way, I've posted a thread in the hopes that someone here can tell me, a beginner gardener, what is going on? If they are stressed out, can I do anything? If it is fall and they are going into dormant stage what are the signs? Surely someone has some answers here????
joy112854

Decatur, AL(Zone 8a)

Joy, if you ordered Canna plants, it is normal that the stalks turn black and the leaves brown when you plant them. It is pretty useless to order plants and pay more postage instead of rhizomes. Canna plants never make it, when they get transplanted with an interruption. Best thing, you cut them down and let the rhizomes send new sprouts. But I am pretty positive, that you won't see the blooms this year any more.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Tammy is totally right on - get the brown leaves off there and let them concentrate on roots for the fall/winter. * I learned the hard way too : )

Cannas are tough. They are going to want to grow new roots anyway and start new shoots. don't worry about the old growth. Just give them sun and water... and time. You will be rewarded with new growth in no time. Fall and winter they will be forming new root systems mostly.. maybe some low growth.. when it gets warmer.. look out.. you will be surprised with beautiful new growth.

Tammie

Crestview, FL

Everyone thanks for the encouragement. I had cut the brown leafs off and the tops of the stalks that looked like they were dying and noticed that there seems to be new green on some of them. Fall is quickly approaching though and think that they may also be ready to go dormant. This Spring though, I hope to be surprised and my sister thinks I will be. I asked her some of the dumbest questions the other night as she loves Roses and plants them and babies them, and knows a little about gardening, I am new to it all and don't know what to expect. I asked her about watering through the winter and she said "no" just stop, they will go dormant and then come Spring up they will come. She said cannas are pretty tough, and start to turn brown and yellow this time of the year due to their getting ready to go dormant for the fall and winter. So; before Fall gets into full swing and the babies go dormant on me, is there anything I should do? Like apply fertilizer for them to store or cut them back or what? I understand that it doesn't really get cold enough to mulch them here.
joy112854

Just let what green they have continue to store nutrients they need for growing underground .. they will die back naturally. As they brown or look depleted, you can cut them back. I don't know how cool you get there.. you did not post your zone. They will grow underground. the old stalks will not come back.. once dead, they are gone for good but new shoots may come back very near them. If you are in a warm enough zone, they may continue to put up some small shoots through the winter but very slowly. I would suggest not letting them get bone dry if you do not have natural rain but I suspect you do have some rain in your area that will water them enough. Unlike where I live.. I do have to water through the winter.... weekly! .. at a minimum! Mine get about a 2" layer of mulch here just to be safe but they do not need it... we do get some dustings of snow here during the winter. ... sometimes and inch or three! LOL .. used to get a lot more when I was a kid.

RELAX... again, cannas are tough.. give them some time. I have planted 3" half dead looking rhizomes that 6 months later have started growing!

Tammie

Crestview, FL

Tammie: Thanks for the encouragement, I have worried about the rain we are getting as I planted about 40 daffodils in pots for them to come up in the Spring and don't want them to get too much water. I have just been watching the cannas and not touching, my sister told me hands off, as I get to be the worry wart about them some times. I did notice some new green shoots coming up beside the old stalks. I think she is right though, as others who have cannas are doing the same thing, Fall is approaching, now what will I do right? LOL
joy112854

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Joy, cannas are the easiest thing to grow. They are like rabbits. They multiply underground . You can't hardly kill them, I've tried. I pull up cannas that overtake a bed and toss them on top of the ground and they will still root and thrive, even over the winter. I even had one in my burn pile that rooted and bloomed! Don't worry, your babies will come back.

Crestview, FL

TexasGrower" You were right there, my cannas are all showing brand new pretty stalks and leafs. The ones I had started the beginning of Spring and Summer have gotten awful bushy and need to be thinned out or I guess you should say, divided. My Bengal Tiger looks so nice and my Black Knight is coming along, my Rose Futurity's I have 3 now, that are doing beautiful. They don't know it's time to lay down and go to sleep for a while I suppose. LOL The only one that hasn't bloomed is the Peach Gigantum; but, I haven't given up hope and still water where it was put in, might be surprised and see it this Spring, if not will just get another one.
joy112854

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Good for you joy. With the zone you are in I wouldn't worry about them freezing or getting cold. I used to live in Fl. and I know where you are. My cannas die back to the ground after the first frost and put out new shoots as soon as it starts to warm up. The ones I have in pots I put leafy mulch on and water good if a freeze comes. They get put on my front porch for cover. I have never lost one yet. Just water as Tammie says and your babies will give you years of pleasure. Now take a pic and show us your babies.

Jeanne

congratulations on your success. I am sure you will be enjoying more cannas for a very long time.

Crestview, FL

They are starting to die back now; will get the best pics this Spring and Summer I believe. I'm going to have to do a lot of dividing this Spring, so might as well take them all out of the beds, add lots of mushroom compost and then rototill that into the beds and then transplant them all back into the beds, that should make them really happy or I hope so anyways.
joy112854

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

Mushroom compost is great stuff. Your cannas will love it. We used mushroom compost in Ok.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.