Dracontium gigas flowering. !!

Townsville, Australia

It,s a beauty.!! I had expected a strong carrion smell but it isn,t any worse than most of the Stapelias.

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut
Townsville, Australia

Kay is giving you an idea of the size. Even the stem is nicely colored. It took 5 years to flower but the plant is worth growing
just for the huge leaf on a 3 meter stem.

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut
Townsville, Australia

Also flowering today is Echinocereus pentalopus. Spring has arived with a great burst of color. Bob.

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut
Townsville, Australia

And a hello to Tropical3. The Inga or ice cream bean tree grows quite large and fast. After about 5 years it will take you
5 minutes to walk around it. They get larger than any of the mango trees that you see around here but not as tall.
They are a spreading tree and not very decorative. When i had the nursery at Oak Valley we had some
growing there. The beans get to almost a meter long and you grasp each end and twist to open them. The ice cream is the pulp that
surronds each seed and is eaten fresh. The flavour is similar to ice cream with a slight cotton wool texture. My kids loved
it when they were young. Another great one is the Abiu. A delicious fruit that will never be grown comercially besause it doesn,t travel well.
The Sapodilla tastes like a pear rolled in brown sugar but it doesn,t travel well either. These fruit should be grown in our bach
yards instead of citrus because we can buy citrus but not the good tropicals. Bob .

Merino, Australia

Beautiful Bob. I hope mine eventually flower like that.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Long time no hear Bob! Beautiful pics, glad it has no smell!
How goes the gardening in your neck of the woods? Whats youe temps getting to?
Sue

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Hello Bob from Maggie Island...don't forget about Miekes invitation....beautiful exotic Dracontium,,,worth waiting for

Townsville, Australia

The tubers you ladies have came from this one so will be identical. It was worth waiting for. it does have a bad smell
but not as bad as some of the Amorphophallus flowers. We are getting warm here now. 23 to 32 today and looking like the
wet may start early this year. Mya, Mieke got several tubers from this one and I still have a couple here for you when you get
a chance to drop by. Bob. ( Amorphophallus paeonifolius photo)

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.