New to EB's

Webster, TX(Zone 9a)

So after some extensive researching I finally have committed to making the switch from regular containers (that really didn't do that great) to EarthBoxes (which I am very excited about!).

It's obviously a little late in the season to be planting... but I'd hate to leave them in storage until spring. I am starting with 3 EB's and was hoping I could get some suggestions on what I might be able to successfuly grow this late in the season. I haven't met a veggie that I didn't like, so ALL suggestions are welcome!

I'm becoming partial to Heirloom Veggies if anyone would like to make a specific recommendation.

Thanks! - Billy

Corte Madera, CA

Welcome to the forum, Billy! Someone who knows your Zone will be right with you shortly.

Hi Billy!
Welcome to the forum. Araness is in TX so will probably be able to help you out a lot. She's known for her heirloom tomatoes. I know she also grows peppers and cucumbers but am not sure what else. She's having surgery tomorrow so might not be on for a couple of days.

I grow heirloom tomatoes, also. I've grown peppers and cucumbers and have just direct sown some spinach, turnip and mustard greens. In fact, I was coming in to post my good news that the turnips and mustard have sprouted when I saw your post.

Tplant is our expert! I think he's had experience with *everything*. LOL Happy gardening!
~Susan

Webster, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the replies! I've grown almost every veggie you can think of (family of farmers), but have made the switch to more heirloom veggies recently. I've always had a lot of success with my gardens except for this season (which was the result of a bad soil choice, my fault...)

I typically grow per the common "plant from such and such month to such and such" instructions, and know that I've missed my usual dates, so just wanted to see if there is anything that anyone has had at least decent results from this late.

Thanks

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Billy,

in your zone you still have plenty of time for almost all of the cool weather crops, lettuce, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, turnip greens, kale, beets, English peas, edible podded snap peas, leeks and radishes.

Maybe also a fall crop of Irish potatoes.

Feldon has a Houston garden so he can tell you for sure what fall crops will do well in your area.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Billy --- Welcome to DG and Earthboxes. Like some states you are in a great cool weather crop area for now. If you like brussel sprouts as much as I do , they do just great at this time but wait till after the first frost to pick them as this sweetens them up. Cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, cucumbers and I'd even grow asparagus if I lived in your zone. Bell peppers, Sudduth Brandywine tomatos also like cooler weather and should do well. Look up Texas Planting Guide for your zone and see what they have to suggest? Once again WELCOME TO DG AND WE ARE ALWAYS HERE TO HELP AND SHARE! HAPPY GARDENING!!!
Ted

Webster, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks again. I've got just about every planting guide you can think as well as visited with the county extension. Just curious about ACTUAL experience from people using the EB's and what they've had success with planting so late in the season. I know I'll be planting everything that might actually make it, lol, can't imagine these brand new containers sitting unused all season, lol.

I'll probably just move some of my plants from the failing containers to my EB's for now and likely add some spinach to the mix.

Make certain you use new container mix and not soil from your garden or potting soil from the local nurseries? Use dolomite lime where required. Best PH would be 5.5 to 6.5 You can not use garden soil. Miracle-Gro or Jungle Growth best if available. Do not buy a cheap heavy mix. It must be a light mix or it will retain too much water and drown the root system. Follow the directions that come with the EBs.

Corte Madera, CA

My local nursery does not carry Miracle-Gro (although I can get it at HD) and no Lowe's here for Jungle Growth. It will be a special field trip.

This is the one I found locally. I took a photo of the ingredients. Right now I am using Gardeners Self-Watering Container Mix for my EB. It's quite fluffy.

Thumbnail by Moonglow

Moonglow -- You do not want self watering mix with moisture control granules such as listed in the ingredients. Mushroom compost and all the other ingredients on the sack are meant for in-ground planting. Use Miracle-Gro but not the ORGANIC as like you now have it is not meant for containers especially EBs. Double check your instructions that came with the EB. They mention, Sta-Green, Walmart's Pro Mix and several other brands. Dolomite lime is very important if you want to grow most veggies especially tomatos....Check with www.earthbox.com for precise instructions. After you do the first set-up properly you will have great results. Just follow their directions to the letter and no short cuts. Good Luck!

Corte Madera, CA

Thanks, Tplant! The people at the nursery were probably thinking, "What is that nut doing taking photos of planting mixes?" LOL. I did not buy this.

I was admiring my one and only EB and it is pretty heavy duty. I have a feeling I will splurge tonight online =).

You definetly have become one of us. Congratulations! A few new gardeners to EBs make their big mistake by purchasing the wrong and inferior mix and not only waste their time and money but even worst, ruining the entire season.

Webster, TX(Zone 9a)

I am quite familiar with the "you get what you pay for" concept when it comes to any purchase lol. The soil that is recommended for the EB's isn't any different that what I am accustomed to using for my planters, I just need to find a comparable one that is organic for my veggies.

Moon glow - Look for "potting mix". I am still searching for a good organic mix to use in my EB's, but unfortunatly all my area has is that MG organic, which is NOT for containers (that stuff condenses like a brick in a container), and some "professional potting soil" (which looks like mulch if you ask me, lol). I may just break down and order online.

I am distrustful of any associate at stores... They may have good intentions, but they typically are not as knowledgable as one would hope. Years ago i was a store manager while in school and never stopped being amazed at some of the stuff my associates told customers... The reality is that they often just answer your questions as best they can, but really have no idea...

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Structure04mt, I had excellent results using MetroMix-360. You may want to give it a try. Although not touted as "organic" the ingredients certainly are and it does not contain any added fertilizers; ingredients are only sphagnum peat moss, vermiculite, bark ash (in your area it'll be Fir bark, in the East it is pine), and dolomitic lime.

Although it contains lime I'd still recommend the usual cup of lime that the EB folks mention.

Tplant, hoping the rains down your way stop soon. I know you're itchin' to get your hands dirty!

Best,
Shoe

How true! They will tell you whatever you want to hear and never admit that they don't know the answer. Example: I went to my favorite coffee shop and had my favorite pumpkin spice lattee and noticed for 50 cents more I could have a shot of protein so I ordered it that way and when recieved asked "How many grams of protein were in the shot. One did not know and asked another whom did not know and asked another who mumbled two." I said you must be mistaken as two grams of protein is hardly anything and asked if she was certain. With an uncertain look on her face she just said "Yeah!" Again she did not know but would not admit it. Whatever happened to integrity and admitting we don't know but will ind out?
This is why I always tell the new DG'ers to listen to our advice and not the nursery workers as all they do is sell it but not grow it and none can tell you the difference between hydrated and dolomitic lime which is so very important for EBs.

Corte Madera, CA

I am certifiably an EBer, Tplant - - - and proud. I wish they would offer FREE SHIPPING for big enough orders =).

So, true! I would rather hear "I do not know" than be given the wrong info. That's why I take photos of products and ask you guys and gals here. Finally my iPhone is useful. LOL.

S04mt, thanks. This is what I currently use:

Thumbnail by Moonglow
mulege, Mexico

Tplant - I grow asparagus here in Mexico. In fact, it is grown commercially in this area. I don't know why the myth that is needds a certain number of chill hours is perpetuated. It might be that a few months of dry weather has the same effect. For whatever reason, it does grow here and we're approximately zone 10 or11. We rarely have even a light frost.

katiebear

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

katiebear,

From what I've been able to find on the Internet, you are correct about asparagus not needing cold, just a dormant period. Some regions that don't have cold grow asparagus via droughting to produce the dormancy. It may be that an actual dormancy is not required so much as a "rest period" of not cutting the spears so the plants can store up energy.

Some regions use what they call "the mother fern" method. As near as I can figure this is where they leave a spear in each crown to form a fern, and continue cutting the other spears as they come up, then after a period of time cut that fern, and let another spear go to fern, etc. The description I found for this method wasn't as detailed as I would have liked, but it does give food for thought.

I have also read several articles published in this country about dividing the patch into halves or thirds, then cutting spears from one section at a time while the other sections are left to fern, then letting that section fern, and start cutting on the next section, etc. I'd like to get a large enough patch going to try this as my growing season is long enough to try doing it in thirds.

Since you don't have a cold period, you might experiment and see if you can produce your asparagus year around.

Karen

mulege, Mexico

Wow. That would be wonderful.

Thanks for the ideas.

kb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.