New to the area

Sanford, NC(Zone 7a)

Hello, I am new to NC. I have gardened in the past in IL, GA, TN, and AL. Any advice for someone who is new to the climate near Sanford, NC. (North of Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg area)

I will take tips, advice, books, etc. :)

Blessings
Melody

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Welcome to a great place. Just about everything you have grown other places grows here. I am at the coast now but was in Raleigh for 38 years. You have a great home extention group there in Sanford.

Welcome to our forum also and when we all get together maybe you can come meet all of us.Or we can come to your area and go to Cameron to Miss Belle's Tea Room.

Lavina

This message was edited Oct 4, 2008 8:09 PM

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Welcome Melody!

I'm not in your immediate area but I can recommend a fantastic nursery in your area. Big Bloomers Flower Farm is a destination for gardeners all around. When you go see if you can find Adele. She is a really nice lady- she does the blog on their website and could give you tons of advice from hands on gardening in the sandhills.

Enjoy your visit to BB!

Shari

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Welcome.
A good book is "The Southern Gardeners Book of Lists" by Lois Trigg Chaplin. You can find a list of suggested plants that should do well for any spot in your garden. She provides 200 lists for wet, dry, sun, shade locations, for trees, annuals, vines, etc. and about 193 other catagories.

Kannapolis, NC

Frugal: Welcome to NC. We're lucky enough to be able to grow almost anything here, even a few of the tropicals, although they don't appeal to my taste. Check out Toms Creek Garden and Nursery in Denton and Plant Delights in Apex.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Welcome, Melody!
Read through the Plant Delights catalog for lots of info. Here is the link:
http://www.plantdelights.com

Bev

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi - Welcome Melody!

Landscape Plants of the Southeast is a great book too.

Check out the farmers market for good plant buys and healthy plants (and the usual farmers market fare..honey, jams, fruits, cakes, etc etc)

Don't forget the J Raulston gardens - plant sale there too - I hear is great (but crowded) NC botanical gardens are nice and year round will sell plants - inexpensive but not a huge inventory.

And you can get plants/shrubs and trees at Broadwell's - dirt cheap - but the shrubs are not labeled!!(the Jap maples are and the clematis was this year too -- but the prices on some of the inventory are ridiculous (inexpensive!!) Bring a trailer!
Happy Gardening, Dorothy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.