Where'd they go????

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Every morning I get a ton of birds feeding at the feeders- finches, morning doves, chickadees, cardinals, blue jays, sparrows, etc. This morning and all day so far, not 1 bird, nada, zilch, zip, zero. When you go outside all you hear are crickets I don't even hear any birds. Oh yeah, I did see 1 Blue Jay that went flying by the house, but that's it. What's up with that ya think??

Thumbnail by flowAjen
NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

There may be a weather issue that moved them out or just a dramatic change wherein they take cover until it settles.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Kinda strange. I had my normal number. Could be a Jersey thing. (Hee hee)

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I've seen it quiet down right before a storm but they usually come back out, but to have it happen ALL day???? Around 6:30 I saw 2 mourning doves on our shed but they left after just a few minutes. To not see any birds all day long was just real weird.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Maybe there was a bird of prey hanging around. I've noticed the birds are silent or not visible when there are hawks flying or perched nearby. Also, the weather can have an effect.

ditto - sometimes I see feathers floating down from the sky and nothing else.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm for the bird of prey theory. Anything else and they would have been noisy in alarm. I always know when there's a cat around.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well a couple of them came back I heard a couple of blue jays but didn't see them, mourning doves under the bird feeders. They did all scatter when I had a couple come over for a home inspection from a great dane adoption group with their 2 great danes. The male was over 190lbs he was HUGE, the female was only 130 lbs, more the size we're looking for.

Neighbor called and said that there was a pack (5) coy dogs around this morning.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

what are coy dogs??

I dont know. Wild and will fight with a house dog and eat a cat.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

A coy dog is supposedly a mix between a coyote and a domesticated dog.

I thought it was a dog that would not answer a question directly.

Nearly correct on the coy dog..............actually the coyote will flat out eat most domesticated dogs. It is the large domesticated dogs reverted to wild dog that becomes the dog part of the coydog. At a glance in the mountains it is difficult to know the difference. Both are hunters. Both take out the less than healthy members of their food chain first. Both will run down and kill healthy animals if the sick or genetically weak wild animals are not available. Every county in the state of Pennsylvania has both. I have seen them at dusk on my surburban lot. Cats are not safe outside in Coyote and Coy Dog territory. They consider cats gormet food. There are few rabbits left but for some strange reason they do not seem to eat squirrel. Maybe squirrels are next. Not sure. Chip and Dale are either not eaten by them or so productive that they stay ahead of their coyote and coy dog hunters.

Interesting - thanks Dwaine.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

very interesting

Is it leagle to kill them, or does it vary state to state?

I can not imagine that coyote and coy dog are protected. Wild dogs are not leagle kills if they wear a collar and tag. Now I ask anyone a question. What hunter do you know that would let a wild dog, coy dog or coyote run down a deer if they could shoot it? I don't know any. To know your state laws you can Google up your game commission and look for coyote data.

They are not the easiest animal to call in and shoot. They educate easily so it pays to make the first shot count. Electronic calls may not be leagle. Decoys and electronic calls often have different regulations in different states.

Craryville, NY

In NYS, it is not legal unless you have a permit for that particular game, or a "nuisance" permit. Doesn't matter what it is.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.