If you could only have one Hydrangea which one???

Harleysville, PA

I am new to Hydrangea's and would love to have one in my yard. Is there one that flowers more and is easier to grow??
It will get morning shade till 12 or so and then afternoon sun..

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

This isn't just one suggestion, but in your zone you'll have the best luck with cultivars of H. arborescens or H. paniculata since they bloom on new wood. Or if you want H. macrophylla, your best bet will be one of the reblooming ones like the Endless Summer or Forever and Ever series. If you want one that's not reblooming, you'll have to protect it every winter in order to be sure you'll get blooms (although if you want the full amount of blooms even from the reblooming ones, you'll get more if you protect it since they have some blooms that form on old wood and some on new--if you don't do the winter protection a lot of the time you'll lose some/all of the old wood blooms).

Hopefully someone from your area will have some perspective on the afternoon sun thing--they may be fine if your summers aren't really hot, but they might be happier with morning sun/afternoon shade. I'm pretty sure that H. paniculata and H. arborescens are both a bit more sun tolerant than H. macrophylla so that may help make your decision.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

IMHO, the most reliable and best all around performer in the paniculatas is H. Limelight. But I would also consider others such as Pink Diamond and Quick Fire. Check how the one(s) you want does in the Fall too. Some paniculatas will turn a nice red during Fall.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

While I'm sure jess is referring to the big mop type flowers, I feel compelled to add the Hydrangea quercifolias. They are all hardy to zone 5. My favorites are - in order of size-

'Snowflake' - 6 x 6 with double white flowers that can get 15" tall
'Sikes dwarf' - 4 x 4 white flowered for the smaller landscape

and my favorite

'Little Honey' - Incredible large bright chartreuse leaves the entire season until the fall red show - white flowers, 2' a slow grower. This one is hard to find and available for a ridiculous price in a tiny pot, but Wow! Is it nice!

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Harmony is another good double bloom oakleaf. Huge white blooms, difficult to find too.

Starkville, MS

In years past I have located the Harmony hydrangea at Wilkinson Mill Nursery in Georgia. It is my favorite of all my many hydrangeas------but guess the Paniculata Grandiflora is the most dependable.

Shirleyd
Zone 7b

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Which of the two do you prefer for its Fall Color, shirleyd, and do you have any pictures?

Starkville, MS

Because the Paniculata Grandiflora begins blooming about 2 months later, it has much better fall color. I have already sent a picture of the Paniculata in a previous correspondence-----but, will try to locate it again. To the right of the Paniculata there is a Harmony hydrangea with very dark remains of the blooms from May.

Shirleyd

Thumbnail by shirleyd

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.