When to transplant rooted layers

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

I layered some low growing limbs of my Forever and Ever Hydrangeas back in the spring. They now have roots, but I have not cut them away from the mother plant yet. I am preparing a new bed for the rooted ones, and don't know when the right time to move them is. Fall, like in a month or so? or wait till Spring. Either way, when do I cut them away from their mother plant?

Can someone help me?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

You can cut them loose once they are well rooted. But, you can enhance the odds of success further if you only cut the new plant from the mother plant a-n-d leave it in the ground for an extra 2-3 weeks.

See more information here: http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/propagation.html

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you...
I found that page last night... but it doesn't say if I should move the new rootings in the fall or in the spring.

Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

BJ,

If they have a good root system, you can cut them away now and transplant now. I would make sure to mulch them well before temps drop below freezing. You will also need to water them (as you probably know) to keep them from drying out.

That said, you could also put the cuttings in nice size pots where you can cover them up through the winter, if you'd prefer.

I live in zone 8b and have done it both ways with hydrangeas. I have also left them attached to the mother plant right through the winter and cut them away/planted in spring.

Jackie

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

Jackie... that makes sense to me... if I cut them away in the Spring, I can watch their progress while putting out new leaves for a few weeks before moving them. Sounds like a plan to me.

Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

It is what I have done...I don't know what the pro's have to say about it. I just do what works for me around here. Trial and error.
Good luck :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.