A month flying between the river and the swamp.

PERTH, Australia

Spring has arrived in Perth and I've seen lots of activity at the Swan River, from the beautiful black swans that the river takes its name from, to Ospreys at two different sites, to Pied Oystercatchers, Cormorants, Honeyeaters, Kookaburras and many other beautiful birds. This is a photo taken from a lookout above the river at Freshwater Bay. Spot the Ospreys nest.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

This shot was taken at the swamp a couple of months ago on a cold, foggy winter morning. The swans knew spring wasn't far away, as there were already some on nests. Over the last month, it has been a hive of activity and I hope you enjoy what I have to share.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Here's the pair of Ospreys on their nest, The female, on the left of the screen is blind or almost blind in her left eye and is also distinguishable by a band on her right leg. I assume that the bung eye and leg band are related. Here they're looking at another Osprey which was flying around in their area.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

This was taken on a dull, overcast day, but I think it shows their nest quite well.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Down to the river below. Black Swans with cygnets.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Gorgeous little bundles of fluff. The parents were remarkably tolerant of humans. I actually had to step back to get this shot as I only had my telephoto lens with me.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Closer.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Over to the swamp. Blue Billed Duck.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

New Holland Honeyeater at the river.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

White cheeked Honeyeater on the other side of the river. I'd love to get a decent photo of this bird.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Mountain Shelduck. These birds are usually seen in pairs, but this one was always on its own.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Pied Oystercatchers at the river.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

My favourite - Red Wattlebird

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Pink Eared Duck. I suspect that they had a nest in this dead tree because of their noisy and boisterous defensive behaviour if any other Pink Eared Ducks came anywhere near it. Well, I don't know what happen to the image I wanted to post. Back to the ol' drawing baord.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Nope, won't let me post the one I wanted to. Here's a shot of some of the fights I saw that afternoon.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Melbourne, FL

Margaret, that Osprey shot is awesome!

PERTH, Australia

And it's on!

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Thanks, GP. Hope your'e having a great birthday so far.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Gettting serious

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

They were so feisty

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Last one of the Pink Eared ....... for now.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Stilt. These guys come all the way from Siberia.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I found one of the shots I couldn't find earlier. There's the two of them staring down into the hollow tree. I've cropped it heavily to (hopefully) show some detail. OK, dinner break. Back soon.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Marlton, NJ

Wow incredible series Margaret! Of course I love the Osprey and the beautiful Black Swans w/ their cygnets. The Mountain Shelduck,Oystercatcher and Honeyeater are wonderful. I just adore that Stilt! Great shots of the fighting series !

PERTH, Australia

Thanks Pelle. Swamphen and baby.  The adult has a bung left eye.  Couldn't get a really good look as they were at a distance. I had seen Australian Ravens with a (dead) baby bird in this spot the day before. No way of knowing for sure, but I kinda suspect it may have been a baby Swamphen. This shot's also been cropped for detail.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Here's a shot of the swamp on that day.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

White eyed duck.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I can't help myself. These birds are normally very elusive and difficult to photograph, so please bear with my enthusiasm.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Baby Mountain Shelducks. Indescribably cute.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Australian or Australasian Grebe

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

This was taken only two days ago. One of the same baby Mountain Shelducks.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I love this shot of a baby Eurasian Coot.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Mother Coot and baby. There were another four or five babies close by. Both parents were busy feeing them all. Cute Coots.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Dusky Moorhen.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Okay, Margaret, clear out the extra bedroom, I am coming for a visit! ;o) Your pictures are stunning! Naturally, I like the duck photos the most.

Kim

PERTH, Australia

Ibis. Not sure what sort. Resin?

Kim, you're most welcome, but you've got to bring Eliza with you.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Okay! I bet Eliza can just fly beside the plane. I can save her airfare for spending in Perth!

PERTH, Australia

Back to the river yesterday. I've cropped this. Hopefully you'll be able to see her bung left eye and the leg band. DH is on the nest.

Woo Hoo, Kim, but is anybody spending anything right now?

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I'd better call it quits. Here's the female coming in for a landing. Hope it show some detail.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Marlton, NJ

Oh Margaret these are outstanding shots!

That baby Mountain Shelduck is so precious! Great catch on the Ospreys.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.