Perilla tea, anyone?

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Has anyone ever made tea with perilla: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/90581/ ?
I noticed that the woodland critters don't eat any garden plants that are surrounded by/planted with it. I got this crazy idea that if I made a tea with it and spritzed it onto the garden plants, then the critters wouldn't eat them, and I wouldn't have to let so many of these lovely invasives everywhere.
But the tea doesn't have that strong smell that the plants have! And it tastes sweet--sheesh, I don't wanna make our garden taste even better to the bunnies and deer!!

Has anyone ever tried such a thing, and is it ok for me to drink a whole glass of this tea without gastrointestinal side effects? I read that eating too much of the foliage could do so. I have it in the fridge, and I'm thinking it would make a refreshing glass of iced tea. I only took a sip so far.
Thanks!

Benton County, MO(Zone 5a)

I believe it is safe, but as with all things like this, it is always wise to be cautious. You could have an allergy or something to it. I would try it in small quantities first, the increase gradually.

I always heard that Indians and others made sumac lemonade with the berries. I tried it, drank a whole glass of it, then felt terrible for a couple of days. It didn't agree with me at all! :o

Wow! Thanks for the advice, makes good sense!

Thanks, Kim. Wow, Martha Stewart uses them!

LOL
Your welcome!
I didn't know they have a culinary use.
Great to know

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

here's another site:http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Perilla+frutescens

Sarasota, FL

Are these cultivated varieties or wild? I know they grow wild in North Carolina. I've read somewhere that the wild varieties may be toxic. I also know that red Perilla is used to dye and flavor Umeboshi plums. They do have a bit of a sweetener effect.

Yep, they're wild--and I did read that they are bad for cattle to eat. I drank some of the tea, and I didn't suffer any ill effects, but I did decide it wasn't all that tasty after all, lol.

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Those wild perillas are escaped from cultivation...they're not native to this country. For tea, add something else to it for taste.

Thanks, Linda!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.