Barbara Harrington & wilt

Aurora, IL

Hello, having seen the commercials about the cell phone "dead zones," I think I live in a gardening dead zone. Moved here in March and have had the most challenging summer! Regarding clems, I planted Silver Moon in May and she's doing nicely. Then I planted 4 in late June: Inspiration, Lemon Chiffon, Princess Diana, and Barbara Harrington. Lemon and Diana have thrived (I assume growth is underground, as it should be in the first year). Inspiration and Barbara took off right away! But I'm worried about Barbara. There were two nice vines, now about 5 ft. up the trellis. Suddenly, one wilted. Crisp and black. I cut it down, but left the healthy one, which so far looks OK.

My question is whether I should take any precautions with the remaining vine? Is it late enough in the year that if it does wilt, we'll have regrowth in the spring? I had hoped that by choosing some of the group 3 clems that I might be spared this trauma.

She was planted by herself in the front of the yard, tho I received 4 new babies from Chalk Hill and Nikolai Rubstov is now planted about 5 feet away from her.

Thanks for advice. I am loving your pictures and hope to have some to share -- maybe next year!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Welcome to the Clematis Forum, keelybird57!

You have chosen some very nice Clematis to plant in your garden. I wouldn't worry to much about Barbara Harrington http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=2946 at this time of year. It could possibly be Clematis Wilt. If so, cut back and throw the blackened vines in the trash. Don't compost them! You can also spray it with a fungicide. I would add some mulch around the base of the Clematis to insulate the root system, but not touching the vine itself. That could possibly lead to more fungal problems.

You are correct in stating that the majority of activity is beneath the soil line during the first year. It's very important to develop a good root system. Next season you should see some lovely blooms and the third year stand back & enjoy the floral show.

Aurora, IL

Thanks for the reassurance. This year, I put in alot of plants and look forward to seeing what survives the winter.

I may try the fungicidal spray. If it can't hurt, it may help.

Delaware, OH

keep us posted on the lemon chiffon. i have had a lot of problems in my zone getting it to establish. i put one in a few years ago that did not make it. i put another one in spring 08 that has shown growth , languished then died back twice. it may be fine next year,just established this way. some clems just can't establish root while they grow. i have my fingers crossed.
princess diana, like all texensis will need protection against fungus. such as , limit leaf watering, full sun, not a crowded base....needs sun and air around the bottom.
i just put barbara harrington in this summer and she had had a good start...not amazig but solid. predicting a good addition to my garden with this cultivar.

sounds like you have selected some good plants and i know you will enjoy the world of clems!!!!

Aurora, IL

Thanks for the advice! I'll watch Princess Diana for fungus

I have a 4' chain link fence and Lemon Chiffon had just reached the top. I was so impressed. Then the vine broke. I suspect the dog. I was worried, but put a little garden fence around it and now we have a few leaves at the base. So I think it will be fine, too.

In addition to the ones I named, on Saturday I also planted Perrin's Pride, Golden Harvest, and Amanda Marie from Chalk Hill. And Niobe, I followed your planting instructions, clem swimming and all! Thank you so much. I will post pictures when I have something to show.

Delaware, OH

let me know what you think of the planting method......believe me it has become my method only after many seasons of mistakes etc. Having the plant root really hydrated and the root ball loosened and separated by water not hands has increased my survival rate and escalated first season results.
i am jealous of your lemon chiffon ....i just can't seem to get that one going, altho this one is my only second one and i am sure there is a chance it will zoom next spring.
perrins pride is a favorite of mine...altho mine was very slow to establish, it is now still on the small side but the flowers are a gorgeous matte purple..plum purple.... and the sepals re curve a bit for a nice flower and the blooms last a long time without fading or being disturbed by the elements.
her is perrins pride in my garden this year.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Aurora, IL

Very pretty! that's what I'm waiting for! I'll keep you informed on Lemon Chiffon's progress.

Do you cover the little new clems in the winter? With compost or mulch? Or are they hardier than they look right now?

Delaware, OH

i blow leaves up around them as they start to go dormant, which is really late november in my zone and microclimate. actually i get hubby to blow leaves.......one of his few garden chores. a fav family saying is "i am not your water boy"...anyway, "we" blow leaves up around them (partial plant exposed in each case) and leave the leaves packed around till maybe march, then remove half of them, and then keep checking for growth like an egg hunt, but carefully replacing the leaves till most danger of heaviest frost is gone,,,usually third week april even tho our frost date early may...the clems are hardy , early growth sometimes gets whacked by a hard frost, but no harm done to the summer's beauty and light frost easily withstood by a fearless clem. early upper growth on the more mature plants is usually the most hardy and of course we just let nature take its course up there and uncover the base when we uncover the others. if early upper growth gets whacked hard, i usually prune it off even tho it might sacrifice early blooms. the plant does better to get rid of damaged areas vs let them hang on. sometimes it is two or three weeks after a hard frost before you really see the damage. i do not prune it off until i see the actual damage.
by the spring, the leaves we remove from the base of the plant are pretty compacted, wet and partially decomposed....they have done a good job and we toss them into the compost pile or on a hillside for weed protection and ground coverage.
"when winter cometh, then spring can not be far behind!!!!"

Aurora, IL

Thank you. We have lots of leaves and I'll tuck some around the new clems. When I had them at another house, they were well established and very hearty. So I wasn't sure how to care for these little ones.
Are you already thinking of spring? Me, too. I want to see the rewards of this year's efforts! ;-)

Delaware, OH

i am looking forward to winter first and then will be drooling for spring. the dormant season can be trying but i wouldn't have it any other way!! and the clems like to sleep too!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.