Garden Decorating: Feathered Acres, Maine, in California

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

As my 86YO mother continues to decline in her cognitive functioning due to Alzheimer's I've been thinking more about my father's absence. He was a 50's dad, a WWII survivor; a 1940's University of Maine grad, MIT student of engineering, traveling about with his great engineering mind designing farming equipment and such; the son of a chicken farmer in Bethel, Maine, during the Great Depression.

When he passed on and my mother closed the house up I grabbed the sign from the front of the house/business in Bethel, long ago left to rest in Dad's garage on the wall. I bring it out every spring, hanging it in a shady spot, bringing my father out with it to my new patio, keeping him and the rest of his family nearby. I have numerous bird feeders about, my favorite being the finch and hummer feeders, making this piece of Central California something of a "Feathered Acres" as well.

For the longest time I contemplated this sign briefly then moved on, certain that its shape was oval. Nah, it's not oval, is it? Is it? Like, DUH?!!!

I just felt compelled to share it today. I miss him, even though he couldn't appreciate his girl-child in the ways he did his boy-child. He was, nevertheless, proud of her . . . finally.

Linda, daughter of a chicken farming family

Thumbnail by Twincol
This thread has 15 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!