Companions for peonies

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I just added 2 pink and 3 red peonies to a bed where I had 1 white peony growing for years. I believe I read somewhere that they don't like to be crowded but I'd like to plant somethings around them for more blooms with them and after they bloom. I pulled everything else out except irises which are at the edge of the bed and will be relocating some daff bulbs and daylilies along the edges too....oh yeah,there's also a big clump of blue false indigo right next to the white peony and it hasn't hampered the peony's growth any over the years.

I save a space close to the edge at the driveway for seasonal color and I'll be adding two different pink mums,ornamental cabbages and kale today.

North Chelmsford, MA(Zone 6b)

Oh, I'm so glad to hear your peony doesn't mind being loomed over by the baptisia. My baptisia is growing rapidly into a small shrub! Last year I planted three peonies I got on sale from Gilbert H. Wild in the garden and miscalculated.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Yeah,they can get big but the peony doesn't seem to mind.

I added some toadlily and Dixie wood fern to the shady end yesterday and I have 2 blue veronicas in the vegetable garden I think I'll dig up a tuck in there.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Ooh I hope you get some good ideas here. I was given a good clump of peonies recently and they are sitting in a pot because I have no idea where to put them! Can they get a little shade? Where you are they might need it, but it isn't as warm here so maybe it wouldn't fly for me.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

The plant I had for many years now has always been full sun.

Got the toadlily and ferns installed but I haven't moved the veronica yet.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

As long as the companion plants don't shade them too much, I haven't found peonies to mind having other plants crowded around them. I like to use spring bulbs around them, as well as some summer perennials like veronica, shasta daisies, lilies, daylilies, and sedums. I like to have some mums or asters close by for fall color too. I LOVE false indigo with peonies! Blue looks so pretty with them, and the form is a really pleasing contrast.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I just realized something I should clarify, I was referring to crowding larger, established clumps of peonies. I'd recommend giving them some space the first couple of years till they're big enough to hold their own.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,good. The veronica isn't all that tall.Raining again today so I can't get them moved again today but I'm going to have to do it soon or it'll be too late. I put some pink mums,ornamental cabbages and kales next to the drive way for some fall color.

The blue baptisia looks great w/ the white peony. I use to have a pink Queen Elizabeth planted with them but something killed it. The blue,white and pink were lovely together.

I planted 3 red double peonies on one side of the white one(it has streaks of red in it) and 2 double pink ones on the opposite side. I forgot there were clumps of daffs in that bed and accidently dug them up so I replanted them at the curb side edge of the bed. Daffs look so pretty coming up with the emerging burgundy foliage of peonies.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I've got about 2-3 ft. clearance around each new peony.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I have several peonies and they have to compete with many other plants in my garden but they do just fine.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

that's good to know.

How tall do tree peony get? I grew one from seed about 3 yrs ago,it's still in a pot,not more than a foot or a ft.&1/2 tall(I guess from being in a pot so long) and it really needs to go in the ground but I don't know where. Not the prettiest pup in the litter...single white w/ a huge yellow center....Looks like a big ole fried egg.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Tree peonies grow pretty slowly. The biggest I've seen was about 5' tall and about as wide, but it was quite old. So your 3 year old seedling has bloomed? That would be awesome! I thought it took much longer.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Yes,it's about 3 yrs old...it had had a couple of blooms then set seed but I waited to long and missed them.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, just what I need....something else to "have" to start from seed to see if I can! LOL

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL...you sound like me. I DO NOT need another single seed but I'm always looking....more often than not..trading or purchasing.

North Chelmsford, MA(Zone 6b)

Re the shade question, I have them in the sunniest part of the garden, so they get five or six hours of sun in spring. The catalogue was specific: full sun. So...I cheated. So far so good.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I was wondering about them being in shade in my zone 8. Summers can be so hot and humid here so I'm thinking I might get away with afternoon shade.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Oh good quiltjean, that's good to know! I have a perfect spot now. Does anyone know if they work well with irises next to them. I'm def. going to put some dafs with them after all the positive things here. : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.