Hibiscus Photos Sept 27 2008

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Here are some photos from today that I thought I'd share starting with Hibiscus Solar Eclipse

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Hibiscus Irish Spring on the left and Hibiscus Energy Burst on the right.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Hibiscus Neon Nova on the left and Hibiscus Cherry Cola on the right.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And lastly Hibiscus Lemon Life.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Citra, FL

Gorgeous...your yard must be incredible.

Many thanks Fla Chick. Here's a couple front yard photos from this morning. It's kind of gloomy/rainy here today.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Gerbera Daisies blooming like crazy right now. Must like the slightly cooler weather were finally experiencing.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Delphinium Blue Butterfly

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Chabaud Giants Carnations

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Hibiscus Bloom Today Called Hibiscus Tahitian Taui.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Hibiscus Bloom Today Named Hibiscus Magic Moments.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Wow Amore!!!! Beautiful pics!! Great photo of Irish Spring, and don't you love Solar Eclipse? I wasn't entirely sure how much I'd like it when I ordered it at the beginning of the year, but I love it - it's in bloom all the time!!

I love your yard too - so jealous! I live in a rental now, so I can only have potted plants - my fingers itch to get back into a "real" garden again...

Thanks much amarantha. I know what you mean about "Solar Eclipse". It wasn't near the top of my wish list last year, but I'm glad I have it. Sometimes its hard to capture the look of a Hibiscus just with a photo. Some have great texture or ruffles or color depth that doesnt always come through in pictures.
Hope you get back to a real garden soon amarantha. This time of year is like a transition period here in South Florida. This is just about the time of year when we can start planting annuals for Florida winters. Its kind of limited during the endless May-Sept humid heat.
Today was one of those quiet days for Hibiscus blooms. Only once decent bloom which I'm sure most are familiar with. It's "Georgia's Pearl".

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Chungwha, Taiwan

I love Tahitian Taui!!!

Courbet

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Your Georgia's Pearl picture is even more stunning with the echinacea (sp?) in the pic!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow, I had no idea carnations would grow in south FL. Beautiful pics.

Citra, FL

Each one is more beautiful than the next. Im glad I have lots of room in my yard, I feel another shopping spree coming on....

Thanks Courbet, Ardesia, amarantha, Fla Chick. I'm always trying to grow something here in Zone 10 that isn't supposed to grow here Ardesia. The challenge is finding an area where it gets just enough sun to work with but not too much so that it dies. So far the "not for Zone 10" flowers I've had some success with are Carnations, Reblooming Bearded Iris, Morning Glories and a couple of varieties of Hydrangeas. The most reliable "Reblooming Bearded Iris" for me here in Zone 10 has been Reblooming Bearded Iris "Pink Attraction". Here's a photo of it when it last bloomed on Sept 19.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Here's a photo from today of my first bloom on a Hibiscus named "Sleeping Beauty".

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Hibiscus "Nightfire".

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Citra, FL

You have got to stop posting these pictures...you're killing me. Do you have every single registered hibiscus in your yard?

Howdy Fla Chick. I can only imagine how much space we would all need to have every variety of Hibiscus. I've wondered how many there actually are??? Probably at least 1000 throughout the world???

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I just asked this question on the other forum. Where do you all get these beautiful hibiscus? I've never seen such colors.

I actually think 1000 is a low number. I believe there are far more names already registered and when you think about the seedlings not coming true to the parentage and the gazillions of new colors and combinations emerging; not to mention the wild, unnamed ones in the tropics. Wow, it is staggering.

.......and I want them all. ;-)

I'm sure you're correct ardesia. I started thinking about it just based on the varieties/pictures through retailers and websites and 1000 would be WAY low. It's probably more like 10,000....at least.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

LOVE the Hibiscus Neon Nova and Magic Moments! I lost my MM in Ike. Fabulous photos!!

Thanks Amanda. I feel for you losing plants from Hurricane Ike. I've been through a couple of them I remember very well (Hurricane Andrew & Hurricane Wilma). It can feel a bit overwhelming at times. One of the positives I remember was that sense of a community/neighborhood coming together to help each other out and making new friends/meeting neighbors that we hadn't previously met. It can bring "a lot of good" out of people.

Well said!

Another positive we noticed after Hugo blew through was that he brought a number of unusual (to our area) tropical plant seeds. The following year all sorts of interesting things popped up and many decided to stay around.

That makes sense Ardesia....as in "Have Wind...Will Travel". I remember Hurricane Hugo as I had a brother living in Hilton Head, SC at that time. I also remember after Hurricane Wilma here in South Florida 3 years ago seeing all these different varieties of birds I had never seen before. They obviously must have been around but were displaced by the storm.
Here are a couple of Hibiscus photos from today (Oct 3) starting with "Hibiscus Envie"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And lastly "Hibiscus Space Oddity"

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

amorecuore and ardesia - you are both so right. It is inspiring to see everyone coming together and supporting each other. The clean-up crews never give up, and neither do the power companies! I've seen SOOOOOOOOOO MANY out-of-state trucks and suvs from various different service companies and disaster relief offering assistance to those of us who are needing it and it just makes you proud of your country. Kind makes me want to put my July 4th flag on display again!

Oh yes, I remember the out of state power company trucks restoring power here after Hurricane Wilma in Oct 2005. We lost power for 10 days and the first thing I did after power was restored was to send a thank you email to the out of state power company from Alabama that restored our power.
Here are a few Hibiscus pictures I took today (Wedn Oct 8 2008) starting with Hibiscus "C N Stars". The other flower/plant in the photo is Clivia (Bush Lily) Belgian Hybrid Orange.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Here is Hibiscus Delta Dawn

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Hibiscus "High Voltage"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Hibiscus "Voodoo Magic"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And lastly Hibiscus "Bon Temps"

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Fallbrook, CA

You always have the most beautiful garden anywhere, Jonathan! It's just GORGOUS! You should sell tickets for people to go through it! I'm jealous too!

Cindy

Citra, FL

Oh...oh...oh....every time I come back to this thread, its just more....oh....oh....oh....

Thanks much Cindy and Fla Chick. Here are a couple new photos starting with Hibiscus Gypsy King

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Hibiscus Rum Runner

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.