Salvias at UGA Trial Garden

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

GirlGroupGirl and I visited the UGA Trial Garden in Athens yesterday and I wanted to show you a few new salvias that caught my eye. Trust me, it took a lot of self control not to take cuttings of everything!

Salvia leucantha 'Ferpink' - This one is gorgeous!!!

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Salvia leucantha 'Ferpink' again...

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

and another view of Salvia leucantha 'Ferpink'

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Salvia buchananii 'Wendy's Wish'

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Salvia buchananii 'Wendy's Wish'
This one is really very pretty but it doesn't show up well against the background.
Even the calyces are pretty.

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

And a shot of the happy couple...

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Salvia coccinea 'Sallynia Salmon'

They were trialing a few of the Sallynia series but this one stood out the most to me having a really lovely warm pink color and taller, elegant stature. The red version also has the same stature and is nice too but I have no photo.

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Salvia coccinea 'Sallynia Salmon'

Thumbnail by Danita
Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Great pics Danita thanks for sharing:)

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Love those salvias, Danita, wish I could have gone with ya'll. Work is getting in the way..lol

Elaine

Candor, NC

I hope all the white flowered leucanthas make it on the market soon. The fresh cut flower growers I know will go crazy.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Danita, those sure are beauties. I really like the salmon one. Was there any indication as to when they would be on the market? Becky

Those are some beauties indeed, Danita!

Joseph

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Great photos Danita. I'm glad you visited the trial gardens. We didn't make it this year to their open house and sale (we went to Park Seed's OH & Sale that weekend), but did go last year. It was great! Dr. AA gives tours in his wonderful, passionate style and lots of deals in interesting plants. Look for it next year: it's around the 3rd week of June.

I'm getting more and more into salvias. Since deer don't bother them, that opens doors for me.

Hebron, KY

Great pics! I can't wait til I can get one of everything to plant! They're all beautiful! 'Must haves'!

Thanks for sharing!

Marilyn

Columbia, SC

Serious case of plant lust goin' on here~

London, United Kingdom

Absolutely hate to say this.........BUT from a few experiments in the UK, the pink and the white flowering forms of Salvia leucantha (with various names) have not been successful. But leucantha is so late-flowering here, usually gets frosted before flowering. The pink form is quite beautiful, I would love to see how this performs in California and the Mediterranean coastline.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Well, I'm certainly anxious to try them...did they follow you around to make sure there were no snippets being taken?..lol...Actually, I'm much more than just anxious to try them.... much, much more.....

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, the 'Ferpink' leucantha seemed to be doing very well here in Georgia where it is hot and humid so it may just be the heat factor(or lack thereof) working against you Robin. They did have it growing on a hillside so the drainage was good.

I wish I knew when they would be on the market. They also had some other new plants, like some Cuphea hybrids, that I would love to try. I may email them and see if I can get some info.

wcgypsy, They didn't follow me, but maybe they should have considering how tempted I was! :)

This message was edited Dec 30, 2008 9:43 AM

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Just an update...

I went to the UGA Trial Garden Open House and had a quick chance to ask Allan Armitage about the 'Ferpink' and 'Wendy's Wish.' He said they did pretty well last year but didn't overwinter. I think Athens, GA is zoned 7b or 8 and apparently these two are not hardy there. Very disappointing!

I did buy an unlabeled salvia while I was in the Athens area which just bloomed today. It appears to be 'Wendy's Wish' so I'm very happy about that! :)

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Wendy is performing extremely well for me here in Ca...I'm very happy with her.

Candor, NC

According to PlantHaven, Wendy's Wish is still PPAF.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

That's great Sherry! If I had known what it was, I would have bought more than one. It was completely unlabeled, it didn't even say "Salvia." There weren't any blossoms either, but I could tell it was a Salvia, it looked different and interesting, and it was cheap so I took the gamble. Whatever it is, it's very pretty!

I know nothing about that situation Rich, so I can't really comment.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.