Question about lifting Amaryllis

Independence, LA(Zone 8b)

I live in zone 8b and have some bulbs I want to lift but a lot/most still have green leaves on them.
I've read that september is the proper time to divide them here but should I take them up still green? I was under the impression you weren't suppose to remove bulbs and things until the leaves died back. Any also how would I store these when lifted in I don't want to replant and need to hold before giving away? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robbie

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, Robbie
Will you have any to trade? I thought folks as far south as you left them in the ground year round. Or are you just dividing? I am looking for RED LION or the APPLE one.
Thanks,
Teresa in KY

Independence, LA(Zone 8b)

Yes they seem to stay green to some degree all year round. I've really never done anything with them one way or the other. They were here when I bought this place. I would like to get rid of all of these - I'm just not a big fan of amaryllis, daylillies, cannas. I don't know the varieties just color. On group is bright red with a some white in the throat of the flower, the other is a salmon/peach like with some white. They are pretty I just would like to free up the space.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2008 10:48 AM

Tucson, AZ

rjones...if you are getting rid of them I would be happy to take them off your hands...for a trade maybe?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.