Looking for birdies, etc...we got a CHEETAH!

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

Today was one of the "great" days for me and DW. I will tell the whole story..about 10 shots, so wait for them all. The rest of the cheetah shots is lower down the thread...

This message was edited Sep 25, 2008 7:45 AM

Thumbnail by Little_things

We decided to get out into the countryside, and I wanted to see if I could find some bea-eaters near the river..its spring afterall and the birds are starting to come back. It is still very dry here, only 2 months before we get rain (hopefully), but the last year has taken it toll on the country-side, animals and trees. The river's normal flow level you can see clearly...

The trees are just now starting to get new leaves, they are broken, dry and the everything is pretty dry...

Every now and then we would stop, get out, and walk around...at one spot we saw lots of scratch marks, little holes, sure sign of porcupine activity...and this creates a nice spot for some or other spider to build their nest..

Sure enough, we found a porcupine hole (nocturnal animals), but the disturbed ground, they live in this one...

we also found birds, like the "bokmakierie", standing out in the dry fields..

Some or other little buck, might be a "steenbok", but we surpized each other...he was off in a flash..

These are "Impala", with the open dry area, they see you coming from far away...

On one of the walks, I found this, sure sign that the dryness have had an effect....

But then, we saw something that would make my day...the second time "ever" I have been lucky to see the cheetah in open fields and a first as he was eating an old kill.

He stood up, looking at us, now safely in our vehicle, gave me a chance to take a few nice pics.

and another...

he got back to business...they do not have strong jaws, so we saw first hand how he pulled the meat...my heart was pumping...I could not believe our luck...

Every now and then he would get up and look around as to trying to find something....then he got up and started to walk in the direction he was looking...we naturally followed at a distance...

by now we were going over a little hill-top, still safely in the vehicle, following excited...some specs: lenght aprox 6.5 ft, tail lenght, 27.5 inches, shoulder height, 35 inches, they weigh around 120 pounds and as if you don't know they have a 56 mph top speed on attack.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2008 8:36 AM

Our instinct to follow, paid off....there was another....who promptly slapped our cheetah, maybe not too happy about the friends he brought with....LOL

As you can see from the one in the back...less trusting of us, no happy at our presence....

Finally they found a bush and lay down...giving us a look, and a few yawns, as to say, it's nap time, move off...so we did! Lucky...yeah....had we not seen the first one, we would have never seen them at all...what a day...when the "Cheetah" took us for a drive...

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

wow! beautiful kitty!

thank you so much for sharing!

Blenheim, New Zealand

I have just been enjoying your wonderful day. I can only imagine the thrill of getting such shots, stunning.

FSD, Pakistan(Zone 10b)

Love those pictures.
Thanks for sharing
Yasir

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Fantastic story and great shots! You were fortunate indeed. Besides the one bird, were you successful in seeing any others? Of course, I think the cheetahs were the highlight of your trip!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Loved your pictures, too. Again, thanks for sharing!!

Larry

Marlton, NJ

Great pics Little! I'll bet your heart was racing! They are such beautiful cats.

mamasita, Here are the bird shots Little got in the Bird Watching forum.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/906751/

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the link. What a great day to see so much wildlife! I was thrilled last year to see a bobcat (not the tractor) along my woods line.

Thanks, pelle, for the link and note, Mamasita it was a great day...although the cheetah was at least a layer and half of the cake, I must say the other parts were just as much fun...the cheetah was just jaw-dropping...after a while I noticed we were all very very quiet...just the enjoying the moment...

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Beautiful shots! Some day, in my dreams financially at this point I think, I would love to go to Africa on a safari and actually see the sights you do in person. Right now, all I can do is peek in on Africam.com mostly on the Nkorho Pan http://www.africam.com/wildlife/node
or 'ride' along on the two daily scheduled drives on http://www.wildearth.tv/home
They are LIVE safari twice per day, leaving at 06h00 and 16h30 CAT (Central African Time).

This message was edited Sep 25, 2008 9:34 AM

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Now that was a trip worth taking, wasn't it LittleThings? Such beautiful shots of the cheetahs. You were so lucky to be able to get them. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your pictures.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

That HAD to be such a rush.... and 2 of them...WOW!!!

Yes Nanny and N_Lover...it is one of those things you play in your mind over and over...and I am eager to go again..

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

Congrats! you are so lucky, that is just amazing. And the shots and narration - its like I'm watching a nature show on TV. Thank you!!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

You showed us some amazing shots of rare cats. They are lovely. I can only imagine, what you and your DW must of felt. Thank you.

Worcester, MA

You are so lucky! Thanks for sharing.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Great photos and a fantastic experience ..... almost as fantastic as the following .......

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/save-the-antelope/929360440

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

ROTFLOL linth, I doubt very much I could run that fast.

Marlton, NJ

LOL, good one Linth!

LOL. linth...I think the cheetah may have packed his back and gone to another place where crazy 2-legged things are not around! hahaha.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

It was certainly not a little thing you are sharing here... so unbecoming of your screen name here! LOL. What fantastic shots from a lucky moment! I enjoyed all of them as if I was there. My sojourn once or twice to the forests here [Bandipur Tiger Reserve] yielded almost nothing. The group leaves in the jeep hoping to see Tiger but just end up with deer, sambar, bisons, fowls, some birds, elephant, wild dog.... Here sighting a tiger is considered a rarity. You having this 'encounter' with this lovely graceful cat is also rare and that too able to take a few memorable shots from such close range. You also have described the event in a nice manner. As it seldom happens, the intention of our sojourns turns up into the purpose. Whatever, bird or no, you got a beast that is worthy of memory. A rare memory. Good luck for next time too. There is always a next time!

Dinu..this morning on one of the online sites, that go on drives "live" 2 per day, they found a leapard...I tried to give heads-up for the DG friends to see it for themselves, but seems no-one was awake...you missed something. Watch out for that....I will just say go to this or that site now....

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Great photos, "Little"! I enjoyed the "safari" very much. What a rare privilege for you to be able to see that in person! Congratulations!

"Linth", funny video! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.