Do You Name Your Beds?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ok everyone fess up ^_^ This started on the DBG Sale & Gathering Thread. Here are the posts from CK, lisabees and moi to date.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5595428
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5595493
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5595498

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008 6:52 PM

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008 6:55 PM

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008 6:55 PM

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008 6:57 PM

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008 6:58 PM

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

That's not the post where I mentioned my bed names, but that's OK, since they don't have creative names anyway :0).

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

oops LMBO lisabees cuz the Edit Guy has banned me from editing for the rest of the day (WHO KNEW there was an edit guy? :O) I'll fix it tomorrow. Thanks.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for doing this, Dahl! I agree with Lisa... you have great names for your beds!

You should have heard David and I try to figure out what to call them when we started clearing the first beds last fall.

"I want to buy lots of daffodils for the front bed."
"You mean the bed at the front of the yard?"
"No! I mean the bed at the front of the house!"
"You mean the bed where we planted the crocus next to the front walkway?"
"No! I mean the bed at the front, next to the house!"
"Is that the hydrangea bed?"
"No! That's the hellebore bed! We don't have any hydrangeas (yet)."
"We have hellebores? What do they look like?"

sheesh... :)

I know there's an edit guy. I came *this* close to cussing once, and one of my posts got the snippage. So I'm not saying NUTTIN. And that was a WAVE, o-k?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Ha ha Karen! I have a front bed AND a front border + the South border is also in the front. Tomorrow we're digging out the grass on the other side of the front yard - what will I call that?! We already have a North border in the back yard! But since we linked it up with the back border, it's both north and West now - so that's in dispute too.

Maybe we just should have kept the lawn. NOT!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I started the names for the same reason. It got too confusing with all the 'norths' I was calling beds. My DH just rolls his eyes now but he knows where I mean (I think). I like your idea CK re: the hellebores. Perhaps I will call one unnamed bed the 'Cauliflower plant' bed cuz that's what he called the sedum 'Autumn Joy' yesterday and there is one in that bed.

lolol Lisa... and I am sooooo jealous that you get to 'work' in the yard tomorrow!

Oh wow, I've read your post about 6 times, and I am completely confused by your beds!

1. Front bed
2. Front border
3. Front south border
4. Back north border--now back north/west border
5. New one on the other side of the front yard: *priceless*

Cauliflower plant?! He has got to be related to my dearest love. I adore sedum, and there we were on Saturday, face to face with mound after mound of gorgeous blooming Autumn Joy, and my dear heart, the love of my life, my soul mate in all things gardening, says "Nothing special." How can anyone not like Autumn Joy???

I'm gonna get him back, 'though. I have a package of ornamental kale and cabbage seeds. Just need to come up with really cool fake names for them, like "Heart of Persia Plant" or "Moons of Jupiter Plant." You see me posting that kinda stuff, you'll know I got him GOOD.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Wow, I feel so special Karen - you read my post 6 times? Just come up here & I'll show you around - we'll get it all sorted out for you :0).

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Colorado Karen,
Buy some purple, yellow, orange and green cauliflower! He will be thrilled and so will you! It is gorgeous. And I agree on the ornamental kale and cabbage. I have grown those for years.
And don't forget Rainbow Chard! It is beautiful and delicious!

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008 8:59 PM

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

Sounds like y'all had a fabulous time at DBG. Congrats on your new plant acquisitions and continued friendships. I can tell that this is a super-special group of gardeners.

When I saw this thread I couldn't resist - I have names for all of my beds, many assoc with the biggest tree in the bed: Bechtel, Maple, Aspen, Pear, Rec Room, Grandma's, Woodland, Kitchen, Bird Feeder, Drystack, Orchard, Upper Lawn, West Bank, and Boulder Field. (Lots of beds! One of my DH's favorite hobbies is removing chunks o' lawn.) I keep my plant records in an Excel spreadsheet (about as nerdy as a girl can get, eh?) and use the bed names to tryyyy to keep everything straight. ;)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LOL I like 'Boulder Field'

Englewood, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, this is a fun thread to read! I have berms and a dry stream bed in my garden, so some planting areas get names based on those. There's the north bank, the northwest bank, the northwest berm, the southwest berm, the front borders (on either side of the front door), the south garden, the vegetable garden, the patio garden, the apple tree garden, the aspen tree garden, the shady berm, the hellstrip (southeast by the sidewalk), the rose border, the nursery bed, and my favorite name -- the Clothesline Paver Garden! I have one of those umbrella-type clotheslines outside my back door, and the previous owners had carpeted the area with sod. The grass died not long after I moved in, and I discovered that they had done no soil prep -- clay and rocks. I amended the soil, put pavers around the clothesline with wooly thyme planted between, and planted various perennials around the edges. It's my newest garden area, and I'm very pleased with it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, you all are so creative! I never thought of naming my flower beds anythink interesting. I am going to have to work on that!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

What a great idea TrishaG to enhance a practical feature in the garden!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, I have descriptive names like front flower bed north of front sidewalk Tier 1. or 2 or3. Then I have front yard south of driveway and front patio. And of course the raised veggie beds and the lily-herb beds. But I need to think up something more interesting. Where all my potted perennials wait to be planted is called the "pot ghetto" -- not not that kind of pot. I got that term from the hydrangea forum.
Right now all of my plants anywhere near the house have been flattened by the stucco guys, but I think they will recover. Boy, having workmen in your yard for 3 solid weeks is as bad as a hurricaine. Plants are just carpeting to them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Too funny 'pot ghetto'. I think it looks ok from the pic you posted paj. Howbout 'pot burb'? I'm very, very afraid of what the paver dudes are going to do when they put in the new patio next summer. Maybe I'll put up electric fencing around those beds so they get zapped if they're bad. :O I've just turned into a mama bear :O

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I like the idea of electric fencing. Unfortunately these guys had to get right up to the house to work so I couldn't keep them out of the foundation planting. But I noticed that even things they didn't have to step on got stepped on.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sometimes they can't help the trampling if they have to actually work standing in the bed. I put punji stakes in the surrounding beds when the garden shed was re-roofed and only a couple of things were trampled. (of course they weren't really punji stakes but it made them nervous.)

Englewood, CO(Zone 5b)

I feel for ya, paj! I had my roof done last fall, and I had some trampled areas. I tried to contain the destruction, but didn't anticipate some things. I have a flat roof, and they pulled off all the old tar and gravel. Sometimes it just crumbled, and I've got bits of tar and gravel in all the planting areas close to the house.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

They promised to finish and clean up by the end of the week. Then I can start trying to rescue the trampled plants.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well you may think me morbid but I have a pet in each one of my beds. (buried of course) We have a Moose, Maddie, Sophie, Larry, and Badger beds. But they have been renamed after previous names. Waiting for pets are our Seattle, Woodland, Elk, Garden, Fir tree, Ponderosa tree, Driveway, Roadside and Garden shed beds. All of our trees (that we have planted) have name of all of our family members. Like Tomi and Doug (side by side) Lynn and Dean (on opposite sides of lawn), and so forth for families who get along and who don't. This is the construction of Moose's bed.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ah, the mystery of the moose bed is solved! Very pretty. I have never been very good at naming things. This gives me some ideas.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think that's a wonderful idea soferdig.

Laporte, CO(Zone 4b)

Great thread! My beds haven't been in long enough to really earn names yet- but I do have a couple:
The woodland garden
The Propane tank garden
Sydney's garden
The Rock garden
The Columbine bed
The Bulb bed (for lack of a better name)
The stepped beds

I guess I think of those other areas as separate gardens - maybe because they are fairly large and I am trying to do different things in each of them.

Love your Moose garden Soferdig. Very nice idea.

Kathy

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

OK, I get a funny visual for "propane tank garden" :0).

Laporte, CO(Zone 4b)

It was probably the ugliest place on the whole property and in full view of anyone approaching the house and walking up to the door- so I had to do something! It is where I have a big buch of cosmos blooming now.

Thumbnail by KathyCoRanch
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Nice cosmos and chamisa. They draw one's eye away from the propane tank.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Look at all that land sigh. Luvly.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, lisabees, a propane tank garden. All these big vines with propane tanks of all sizes hanging off them and turning from green to pale green to glowing white fully mature propane tanks -- kind of like sausage shaped white pumpkins.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LMBO!!! Paj have you smokin/eatin funny herbs? Propane pumpkins (snort).

Laporte, CO(Zone 4b)

Well- it would be cute if they would stay little-LOL!
It is kind of funny- if you stand on the far side of the propane tank- you can lean up against it and put your feet on the retaining wall and it is a very comfy spot to just look at the flowers-LOL! My kids are constantly playing submarine/ships on it, so it is a nice place for us to 'hang out' now. The kitties usually join us too- but it is funny when they miss the jump up and slide back down.
I have small things growing right along the wall, so you have to go around the tank to see them. I just need a large shrub out in front of it to partially block just the tank. Maybe another lilac there?
Ah Dahlia- it is nice land- but right there is a nasty little wind tunnel in fall, winter and early spring. (I have 3 blue spruce panted and they are doing well, but it will be 8-10 years before they are doing anything about that.) Sometimes 80 mph- blows the cars doors hard enough to hurt you, and I have to hold them open them for the kiddoes. I sure hope all stays ok there this winter.

Kathy

Here is the far side of that same garden- I have daylilies planted all around it now, from our church. (You can barely see them)

Thumbnail by KathyCoRanch
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Very nice and very good fencing job, KathyCoRanch. I like the idea of a lilac in front of the tank. Every garden needs at least one lilac.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Nice visual Paj. I was thinking four columnar junipers one on each end and two in the center tilted to make the letter 'W' to hide it in rememberence of 'Geo. W'. LOL

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yeah, I don't think any of us will need anything to remind us of George W.. He will now be etched in our memories for life. I will leave it at that.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

And how appropriate that it is in front of a large container of GAS

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You said it meezersfive! LOL.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

How sad that our president of 8 years leaves us with such distain. I wouldn't do the job.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It is very sad indeed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.