Epilobium (not sure of species) seeds?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Yesterday I took a stroll along the railroad tracks near my inlaws' house, and came across a large patch of what I believe is Fireweed (Epilobium) in bloom. Mostly pale, rosy pink flowers, although a few were white. I've taken some photos, and I'll post them in the ID forum for confirmation and hopefully get the species.

In the meantime - since I'm reasonably confident that's what these plants are - how (and when) can I collect the seeds?

Ohhh Go Vols can I put a downer on your plan and say I hope you have several acres of garden you don't like? All willowherbs - Epilobiums are very invasive, I have a constant fight with them in the garden.

Epilobium angustifolia and E. hirsutus both sport white flowers (as do other Epilobiums) but even they are as bad as the rose pink forms. Epilobiums were very popular garden plants in Victorian times but have now become a monsterous weed on dryish soils.

If you really want to collect the seeds then wait until they are a white fluffy mass, thats when they will be ripe. Place a large paper bag over the seed head and cut it off at the stem, you can separate them at home other wise you'll be chasing them all over the place.

Baa, I KNEW (grin) someone would warn me about Epilobium; and I agree it can be invasive. But I do sort of have several acres of garden I don't like. Well, actually it's not mine, but my neighbor has a cow pasture directly behind us, with nothing but a barbed-wire fence between the properties. He keeps it bush-hogged several times during the summer, but there's a lot of unruly "stuff" that grows up in between mowings. I figured if I plant some pretty "garden thugs" (Epilobium, Ironweed, Eupatorium, Rudbeckia, Coreopsis, etc.) along the fence row, they will do three things:

1) help block out the view of the weeds in between mowings;
2) create a buffer/transition zone between his (really truly) weeds and my soon-to-be native wildflower area; and
3) curtail each other if they're all fairly equally aggressive.

I figure if I've gotta have weeds creeping into my beds, I'd prefer they be somewhat attractive ;0) But thanks for the warning (I would certainly have wanted to know if I wasn't already aware of the plant's characteristics); and the seed saving tips.

LOL I'm not going to be able to pursaude you am I. Well if you insist heres a link just in case.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/rbaywherb.htm

For anyone wondering what I'm gibbering on about here is a lovely picture.....as they say Buyer Beware! For those in the UK this is Rosebay Willowherb.

http://freespace.virgin.net/wild.flowers/flowers/324.html

Oh, one other thing (like this will make it more attractive - NOT).....glyphosphate weed killers (like Roundup) are being found ineffective against Epilobium. Some sources indicate the plant is not adversely affected by this type of herbicide, and it may actually help the plant survive because it kills the competing weeds. But other than that it's a very lovely plant :)

Baa, I will be taking care to deadhead the plants, I promise!

Apparently you can eat the young shoots and make tea with the young leaves. Great laxitive if you're ever in need! Don't take on an empty stomach or its a very effective purgative too LOL On second thoughts don't injest it at all.

I doubt you get any of these in Tenn but I just read that elk and moose eat them too as do white tailed deer.

Whoohoo I learned something...is it in the database yet?

I believe E. angustifolium is, but it's the only one; there are many other species not in there - yet.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.