Help needed: Lost Ladybug Project

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Agricultural Research Service (ARS) scientists and their partners are seeking the public’s help in surveying for once-common ladybug species that are now hard to find. Researchers with ARS, Cornell Univ. at Ithaca, N.Y., and South Dakota State Univ. in Brookings want people to photograph every ladybug possible, and to send the photos to Cornell so researchers can inventory the insects. In particular, the scientists are looking for rare species, such as the nine-spotted, two-spotted and transverse lady beetles. Those wishing to participate can visit http://hosts.cce.cornell.edu/ladybeetles/ for tips on finding and photographing ladybugs and submitting photos.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I can't remember the last time I saw a native ladybug / lady beetle. Every one I see is an Asian lady beetle. In the insect and spider ID forum, it's the same thing. They will eat any soft-bodied insect, even each other when they're pupating or as larvae.
The insect and spider ID forum might be a good place to post this, too. Some people just like taking pictures of insects and only post there when they're stumped for an ID. Thanks darius!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.