Umatilla, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm growing corn in my EB. They look beautiful (over 5 feet tall with little ears of corn) BUT. . . . something is attacking the stalks. I don't see any pests and have sprayed the heck out of them with Sevin. To no avail. Help! Any suggestions? Thanks, Pam

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I grew corn this year in mine, they started yellowing at the bottom and it worked it's way up the stalks. The ears stalled at 3 inches. I'm guessing Nitrogen deficiency. I don't think the fertilizer strip is enough for corn. My tomatoes came out great though! This was my first year with EBs.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

this was my first try at corn, too. I also figured nitrogen deficiency when they turned yellow. I had no cover over my soil (I don't use the 'real' EB's), so I added some blood meal and sort of worked it in. they did green up pretty well. the ears grew ok, 2-3 per stalk, not huge but acceptable. my problem was lack of pollenization. I tried to do it by hand, but I am obviously not a bee. the ears were empty.

edit to add: big plus, no corn ear worms

This message was edited Sep 25, 2008 6:32 AM

Thumbnail by grampapa
Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

My experience with corn in EBs has been excellent but I had to use a stronger fertilizer.
I used Super Bloom 15-30-15 as corn are gluttons. As far as pests are concerned I don't wait to see them but give them an Ortho Bug-B-Gone treatment . This really works great for me as my corn was perfect.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

here is a link about hand pollinating corn

http://www.nativeseeds.org/v2/content.php?catID=1007

Learned something new about hand pollinating corn as I never thought it was necessary being corn is planted so close togeather?

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks, fiddle. My problem with corn is that I had so few planted that I think they needed to be hand-pollinated.

edit to add: the pollen was probably just blowing away and never getting down to the silks. we have a very windy site.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2008 1:35 PM

My corn is planted from seed about six inches from each other. I plant four kernel per hole and cull the weakest three leaving only the strongest one. Never had a pollination problem as they are always brushing each other and you can see the results in my above picture.

Umatilla, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, everyone wrote in such interesting things! This is my second attempt at growing corn in my EB - the first time I used seedlings and that didn't work. But from other posts, I saw the way to go was to start from seed - that made all the difference. They are growing so well that every pest in FL is at my back door! But I've concluded it must be some type of worm, so I'm sprinkling the corn with Dipel Dust which has Bt in it. It seems to be helping, And just the other day, the Master Gardener who lives down the street told me about hand pollinating the corn - who knew? I'm actually very fortunate since he is taking care of my roses due to a recent medical "hiccup" on my part.

But I also want to thank Tplant for the Ortho Bug-B-Gone tip. . I'll be loading up on that for sure! Thanks, all!

That is what we are here for but "thank you for the appreciation!"

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Tplant, thanks for the tip about the 4-per-hole. good idea. I had a few weaklings that probably would have been prevented had I done it that way. and I certainly had far more seeds than I needed anyway. other than that, I guess I planted the same as you. I think our constant wind must blow away the pollen, then. so it doesn't drop.

if you garden organically, you can drop a little mineral oil right at the tip of the ear after the silks have wilted to prevent the earworms. it would be too much work in a larger crop, but manageable for a box like this.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Tplant where did you purchase your seeds and what type?

Gee! I purchase my seeds from Heirloom Seeds and Johnny's and a couple of others. Nevermore from Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot etc. Even though they say Ferris or Burpee brand names I'd rather buy from a reputable on-line nursery or direct from them to assure quality whereas I have never been disappointed except for the Blue Lake stringbean when everyone had a seed problem two years ago. Which reminds me, I need some seed.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Terrible to own up to I don't know the names of any corn...lol I'll have to check out Heirloom Seeds.

Umatilla, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, I'm a little discouraged with the corn right now. The worms have just destroyed the majority of my ears - except for a few which were, in fact, delicious. Could someone (Tplant!) please tell me where I'm going wrong? This is my second try and while I actually succeeded in having them grow, the lack of corn was saddening. Tplant, you mentioned that you spray with Bug-Be-Gone. How often do you do it and when do you start? Do you use anything else to beat back the worms and pests? Anything you could share would help; I'm about to pull my hair out!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I also found out Jap beetles love corn plants as well.

Rose -- I can not understand your problem as you live in corn country? If you leave the corn on the stalk to long you may have worm problems but using repellents as directed should alleviate this problem? Corn grows excellent in EBs?? How old is the mix in your EB? Did you use the 15-30-15 Bloom Booster fertilizer and dolomite? Kept them well watered?
Anyway start over by dumping the old mix , wash the EB with 10% solution of bleach, change your brand of corn, don't buy it from a from a department store. Buy the seed online from a reputable dealer. Pick your corn as soon as the silk starts to brown! Other than this -- I can not figure it out?? A true mystery.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Really great advice here. Can't wait for next season to try again. Thanks much!!

I guess the best results is to use fresh mix for corn every season and do not try again in the same mix as they deplete the soil of nutrients! This is only my guess as I am not a Master Gardener..

Umatilla, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Tplant - and all who offered advice. I did indeed have fresh mix (ProMix Bx), but did not use the 15-30-15 fertilizer, just the 7-7-7 that came with the EB. I had two varieties growing, Silver Queen and Ruby Queen from seeds I purchased from Burpee online. But. . . some problems I noticed. When I yanked out the stalks (in a real pet, let me tell you!) there were clearly too many stalks in the box. Round three in the spring I will do as you mentioned - four seeds per hole and six inches apart. And start spraying from the beginning which I didn't do as I was in the hospital. But thanks to you all, I have renewed optimism - I WILL have corn or I'll know the reason why!!!!

Now I'll go out and do battle with the rabbits which had their way with the greens in my Square Foot Garden. Sigh. But I have hope; the hawk is back in the neighborhood. ... .. (OK - that was mean. But those darn rabbits just aren't looking as cute as they once did!)

And the Master Gardener who lives a couple of houses down keeps asking me why I don't just plant my vegetable in the ground.. . I just point to my EBs (corn not withstanding) and he shakes his head. I'll convert him yet. . . LOL

Rose --- You planted exactly the same seed as I did but the 7-7-7 was not strong enough for the corn. What is PRO MIX (BX)? I only know of Pro Mix in my neck of the woods? What does the BX stand for?
Maybe next planting use the regular standby if in doubt and that is Miracle Gro mix for veggies. I plant a double row of corn as I said , eight stalks on each side with fertilizer 15-35-15 in middle. I plant four seeds per spot, cull out the weakest three leaving eight stalks per side. I just make eight X slits per side of EB and wait for the best. Silver Queen is delicious! As a matter of fact all the hybrids are sweet and delicious. I'll be planting a new crop in March or sooner.

Crestview, FL

TPlant: You keep mentioning this 15-30-15 Bloom Booster fertilizer, is that the name brand? I need to know as I'm planting corn this next season for Spring myself. I do know that my brother said that when you plant the corn in the ground, you need to plant it in three rows not 2, or it will not pollinate? Can you explain? Also; they do take all the nutrients out of the soil; so it should be replaced each season with corn. Do you use 2 cups of the 15-30-15 Bloom booster fertilizer also like in the other? Can you suggest a brand name of the fertilizer for us and where we might be able to purchase it? Most farm stores around here sell fresh corn seeds, I'm now regretting having bought the packaged one at Lowes. (frown). One good thing about living in a small town and in the country is you have farm stores all over the place. LOL
joy112854

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I was thinking of planting Country Gentleman and Silver Queen...what if anything do you know about either Tplant? Both are on the extension list for my zone. I noticed that it was posted not to put the 16 per EB...so only 8? I've already started the hunt for the 15/30/15 Bloom Booster. I really can't wait as I love fresh corn (even like it raw if it's fresh) and I have one neighbor that I know would enjoy a few ears also.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

just a note to let you all know that pam (rosefiend) is back in the hospital. i don't know anything else yet but thought you might wonder why she isn't posting on her thread. keep a good thought for this very special lady.

Crestview, FL

Trackinsand: Yes, I have said a prayer for her and hope everyone else here does too.
joy112854

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

thank you joy. i talked to her this afternoon and she may be able to come home this week. i hope so.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Dang I about lost this thread...How is Rose doing?

I've picked out my corn (Johnny's Selected Seed) I have Silver Queen and Sugar Pearl (F1) (se+) (OG). Anyone have feedback for me on either the seeds or the company?

I live in zone 9a, while I know Silver Queen is on my list of types that will grow here I have no idea about Sugar Pearl.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

she's at a rehab center right now and can't come home until she's stronger. she's missing some cold weather and i know she's worried about her orchids and vegi's.

as a side note, i've always had good luck with johnny's.

Crestview, FL

truckinsand: Tell her we love her, to hurry and get well and come on back.
joy112854

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

will do!

Crestview, FL

Corn Growers: I was reading a few books my dad, the green thumb in the family had and noticed a few tips for corn growers here;
1. if you are having problems with birds pecking at your ears of corn, you can take a pair of Legg's Energizer panty hose and cut off the bottoms of them, slide it over the ear of corn and use peppermint waxed floss to tie the loose end around the stem, it allows the ear to grow but the birds won't touch it.
2.You can also slip bars of deodorant soap into them and tie them to the stalks to deter the deer if that is a problem.
3.To prevent earworms from attacking fill an eyedropper with Baby oil and apply to the base of the ear a few days after the silk first emerges and repeat every two days.
4. To deter raccoons from your corn, place crumpled up newspaper between rows of ripening corn, they can't stand walking over rustling newspapers, or put a radio in a zip loc bag turn it on, especially tuned to a rock station and it will chase both deer and raccoons away.
5. Another one to deter birds, is to run a string of mint waxed floss between 2 stakes across the cornfield just a few inches above a row of young corn plants, using a pair of scissors, cut a dozen or more strips of aluminum foil 1"x 5" long. Tape the strips of aluminum foil along the string of dental floss every few feet, the reflective foil flapping in the breeze repels birds.
joy112854

Umatilla, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone! I've been sprung and am so happy I just can't stand it! I'm just glad it's not 'high" gardening time and I'll have time to build back up before spring planting.

I've evidently been anonymously elected president of the Stroke of the Month club. . . . yuck! Having had these two incidents occur in Sept. and Oct was not in my plans - but it is what it is. My focus now is to learn from everyone here so that I WILL have corn next season! So thanks Joy and Tplant (everyone in this forum) for all the great advice - as well as well wishes and prayers. I appreciate both more than you could possibly know.

But now - back to gardening!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.