Favorite composter???

Orlando, FL

I was googling composters and found the compost pig....has anyone tried it? I live in Florida and open composting can get stinky...I have a old rabbit cage now. Or does anyone have a home recycle idea or DYI?

Thumbnail by ecopepper
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Never heard of compost pig but sounds cute.
Lots of complaints about tumblers.
I've used a couple different styles but I think the essence is, depending on your climate keeping the stuff at a good moisture content and keeping it from freezing. Your mix of ingredients will affect it too. In my area, that wire cage would be good for getting a lot of green stuff like food scraps, weeds, trimmings, grass, but it would not work well for a mostly brown fall leaf mix like I'm going to have soon because of drying out.

Castro Valley, CA

Recently purchased the Sun-Mar 400 Composter tumbler and Love It! You can put kitchen scraps in daily; Keep Moist; finished compost goes into a seperate cylinder; so far so good.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

For the past few years I have been using 2 Biostacks. Much easier to flip than a solid box. I really like them a lot.
http://www.smithandhawken.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=prod21199&categoryId=cat340061p&sku=21199

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.