Transplanting small tomato plants

Greenacres, WA

We had a very cold spring and summer now it is September and turning cold again. The Tomatoes that were planted have not done anything. I think I will put them in large flower pots and see if I can grow them in an extra room I have, what do you think? I thought that if I have grow lights it might possibly work. They will freeze in the next few days the weather man says it will. BOO HOO
Parts of Spokane WA were at 32 degrees. In the valley at my house it was 39 degrees.
Any input will be appreciated.

Thumbnail by MarciaS
Greenacres, WA

Here is another one I have 5 of this size and since they are small I think I can grow them under grow lights.

Thumbnail by MarciaS
Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I think you'd be better off starting new plants from seed.

Greenacres, WA

OK thanks for the in put.

Saint David, AZ(Zone 8a)

You might try rooting some of the suckers. That would put you ahead of planting seeds and they root fairly easily.

Greenacres, WA

I am going to go ahead and see what happens by keeping them in a room with grow lights.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I have transplanted a lot bigger plants than those and gotten away with it. I did not move them into a pot though I moved them to a different part of my garden. I would water them the day before with up start or any transplant fertilzer and the next day dig them and pot them and water them in again with the up start. This will help them with the shock and energize the roots to begin growing again. What do you have to lose at this point but a little time.

Thumbnail by eweed
Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

You may enjoy growing tomatoes under lights, but as a practical matter it's cheaper to buy them in the winter and then garden in the spring, summer and fall. Whatever pulls your chain.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

DIP72 yep but as a practical matter eaiser to stick your head in the sand and let every one spoon feed you as to what is of value to you.

MarciaS you go girl follow your interest never mind the naysayers it's your desire and life is more than a frozen chain that can't be pulled.

What if Orville said Wilbur we can't fly LOL.

Thumbnail by eweed
Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm sorry I stuck my nose in your business.

Greenacres, WA

dp72
You didn't butt in, every ones input is fine and I agree with you
Post #5626790 I'm sorry I stuck my nose in your business.
Marcia

Hi eweed I don't like to give up on things that is why I thought about it, however the cost of everything including the cost of electric bill which I have had to pay $200 per month in the summer. Just think what the cost will be this winter, Ouch
Everson, WA
Post #5626764
DIP72 yep but as a practical matter easier to stick your head in the sand and let every one spoon feed you as to what is of value to you.

MarciaS you go girl follow your interest never mind the naysayers it's your desire and life is more than a frozen chain that can't be pulled.
What if Orville said Wilbur we can't fly LOL.

I enjoy this group so much how everyone encourages and helps each other. Here it is Thursday and we are at the weekend I hope each one of you has a terrific weekend.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.