perennial growing in EBs?

Lilburn, GA

Hi,

I am interested to know more about growing perennials (and roses) in EBs.

Has anyone tried it?

My soil here is horrible and I would like to try them in boxes.

Thank you,:o)

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

My soil is really bad too and I just put them in raised beds. I suppose it would make a difference depending on what zone you are in. If you have a lot of cold/freezing weather it might not be such a good idea as I doubt this kind of growing system would provide the insulation necessary to get them though that. If you do not have the freezing weather I would maybe suggest plants that tend to stay small. They will get root bound in this kind of container just like they would in any other. Having said that, I say to get some plants and give it a try. We gardeners are an optimistic lot and are always proving the "rules" to be wrong. I have grown things that were not supposed to grow here in places they were not supposed to be and had them do just fine simply because I did not know any better at the time. ;^)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Spider! From what I've read, the science behind this type of container is the movement of moisture and nutrients - kind of like osmosis if I'm remembering my terms correctly. I learned a lot about it from many of the threads now on the "sticky" at the top of the forum, but there's so much to read there - I'm working my way through those threads new to me tonight. I also recommend reading the earthbox website - there's a ton of info there and it may cover the growing of roses and perennials. Also - there are so many knowledgeable folks here - I've learned a great deal from them!

I think Tetleytuna is right about the raised beds, though. My knockout roses grow really well in a raised bed with about 8-10 " rose soil on top of existing soil. I think they'd get rootbound pretty quickly in the EB.

Lilburn, GA

Thank you Tetleytuna and Bookworm.

I will check the EB forum and also read all the stickies I can find.:o)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Get ready for a lot of interesting information!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.