cherry tree

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

hi everyone
why hasnt my cherry tree bloomed since i got it 3 yrs ago . its growing big but no flowers

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Too young.

thanks . i thought that but it had flowers on it when i bought it . how did they get it to flower ?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

They have various tricks in the nursery to get it to do a one-off flowering for selling. Then it settles down to a period of growth without flowers for a few years while it is establishing a decent-sized crown; after that, it'll start flowering again.

Resin

thanks . it had one single flower last year . lol i cant wait for it to be big and full of flowers

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 9b)

Has anyone ever bought the 5 in 1 Apple,5 in 1 Cherry,5 in 1 Pears, and the Fruit Cocktail trees? I saw them in one of my seed catalogue books, and the zone was not printed. Also, if the plants that say hardy in zones 5-8, does that mean they are not going to grow in zone 9, and bee hardy? Also, will the cherries grow and produce in zone 9? Or is it not cold enough for them/ Thanks, Krispi

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Cherries for sure need some winter chill in order to fruit and you probably won't get enough chill hours for most cherry cultivars. For most of the stone fruits there are some low-chill cultivars available, but they are most likely not the cultivars that are included on the fruit cocktail type trees.

As far as listings that say zone 5-8, in the case of your fruit trees they may be using that to indicate that zone 9 doesn't get enough chill hours. But for other plants, listing something like that often means that the plants can't handle a lot of summer heat (although it's really an inappropriate use of zones...technically speaking the zones only account for winter cold and there are areas of the country in zone 9 that don't have blazing hot summers and the plants would do just fine).

Kalamazoo, MI

Hello Krispi, I am a bit late answering your query about 5-in-one fruit trees (just joined DG a bit ago). When I was a kid we had a 3-in-one apple tree, zone 5, that produced like crazy and lived many years. I know because it was my job to pick up all the apples that had dropped before we got around to picking them!! It was a lot of fun to pick different apples from one tree. Best of luck to you.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I have grown several types of cherry trees in my zone 9a area - in my first house, I planted bing and black tartarian for a pollinator, and in my second house in which I had limited space, I planted a semi-dwarf Stella which is a self-pollinator. Both configurations did quite well. I had so much Stella cherries last year that I was giving them away freely. But it had very little fruit the first five years, and then it took off from there. Have never tried the 3-in-one or 5-in-one trees.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.