Help Me Identify this Tree

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

HI Michigan friends......

I posted this on the Tree forum, and thought maybe you gals and guys from Michigan will know what the name of this tree is. A friend of mine asked my help. Its growing in Saginaw. It has large leaves, and has long seed pods. I will post two pictures...

Deann

Thumbnail by deann
Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Here is second picture.....

Deann

Thumbnail by deann
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Deann,

That is a calcupta tree. In the spring it gets big white flowers on it. I bought one mailorder when we were living downstate and dug it up and moved it up here with me. It's doing really well here. It's about 5 or 6 feet tall now I think. It has the big heartshaped leaves on it. Many people think they are "messy" trees which they are when those pod things fall down. Mine is too little to make pods or bloom yet. If you know where the old American Pie restaurant is and the campground there is one right there by the parking lot. You'll see it blooming in the spring. It is just breathtaking.

I'll probably be dead and dust before mine gets that big but someone will enjoy it I hope. I planted it far from the house out in the field so it can be by itself as a stand alone specimen tree. It gets quite large. I think about 100 feet if I remember right.

I'd like to buy another. I think Foresthill has them in another color. Seems to me like the leaves are purple on it but I may have dreamed it. :)

I hope I spelled the name of the tree right. It's close if not right.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I had it spelled wrong. Here is the information.

Catalpa ovata CHINESE CATALPA

Description :
Conspicuously lobed & downy leaves & frilly, somewhat smaller (but still showy), creamy-yel, brown-spotted flowers in pyramidal clusters which are produced in late sum. differentiate the Chinese Catalpa; 20-40'. S/M
Hardy to -20 to -30

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda

Thank you so much for identifying that tree for my friend. I knew someone from the Michigan forum would get the answer for me.....

My friend said she saved me some pods from it.....Would you like some to plant?? Let me know.....

Deann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Deann,

Yes, I would love some pods to plant. Let me know when you get them and I can pick them up. Thanks so much.

Brenda

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

one of my favorite trees!!!!
i have several small ones started here-this yr i got flowers and a few pods on the biggest one

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

It never ceases to amaze me how smart Michigan gardeners are.....

Thanks guys!

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

I love the catalpa tree. My husband brought home a rooted cutting from the Lansing capitol the year before he died. I'll remember where he got it forever!

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

When I was a kid, the local fishermen used to pay us a penny a piece for the worms that over winter in the pods of the catalpa trees and goldenrod galls. They used them to ice fish. Doesn't seem like a lot of money now, but when you are six a buck seems bigger.

One of the most beautiful places I know of is a whole grove of catalpa trees planted close together. The limbs form a canopy and it's like seeing through an emerald when you look up at the sun. Underneath is clean and clear and the grass stays soft and bright green all summer. In the spring it is a mass of blooms and the only sound is the thousands of bees above you. Then the blossoms start to fall and it's like walking through a fragrant snowstorm every time there is the slightest breeze. In the winter you can hear the dry rattle of the seed pods that are left hanging on the trees. After a fresh snowfall all the tiny twisted branches are outlined in white and it's like someone spread a sparkling lace doily across the sky.

It must take a lot of work to keep up, but I never saw any one there when I would stop. It was always my own private rest area when I would travel down that road. I wonder if it is still there or they have cleared it for a subdivision. I hope not.

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

What an awesome tree! I put that right on my want list. Thanks for the info.

Mary Ellen

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda

I am going to Saginaw this week sometime.....my friend in Saginaw who wanted me to identify it, has some pods for me. I will let you know when I have them. If there are any left over, I will be happy to share with others....

Deann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Deann. I appreciate it.

Brenda

Lake, MI

I love those trees. When I was a child two of the neighbors had them and we used to play with the pods.
I have my eye on a three foot tree in the woods down the road:)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

LOL............before we moved up here I had my eye on a good sized seedling that was growing out of a crack on the foundation of my old bank. It had to be about 5 feet tall. I wanted so bad to pull that succor out and steal it. Every time I'd go through the drivethru I'd see it and covet it. I never got the nerve to do it though. I thought I'd be accused or robbing the bank or something. :)

I wonder if it's still there?

Brenda

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda

OKey dokey! I have the seeds in hand....however, got a busy week here....hunters coming up today and tomorrow for the week. I will be going into town sometime to the IGA, and when I do I will let you know......

DEann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

OK Thanks Deann. I'll wait for your call. We've been busy putting our gardens to bed so we've been outside all day. I think winter is on the way and I hate to be outside for long when it's cold.

Brenda

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

We're supposed to get a FREEZE here tonight. It's too early!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Late Bloomer

My friend gave me 3 pods of seed. If you would like some, just email me, and I will give you my home address. Send SASE.

Deann

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

Deann, that is so sweet of you! I would love to try to grow one. : ) Thank you so much.

Mary Ellen

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

I planted 3 seeds about 3 yrs. ago. Only one tree grew, now about 12-14 ft. tall. I have read they grow 2 to 3 ft. each summer! I also have an old tall one growing on the front of the property. Thing is,I didn't even know it was there until I planted my seeds, LOL I just love these wonderous trees, like tiny orchids for "free"

Thumbnail by tootsie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.