Iris problem

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I have grown Iris for years but this is the second yr for reblooming ones. They have spread and crowded so fast but the only one to rebloom is the small Emortality and it is blooming for the 3rd time. These look like they need to be seperarted but I have no room right now. Do you think they will rebloom thier third yr. next spring as crowded as they are? HELP!! Thanks BEV
These rizomes are gigantic!!

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is Emortality that is blooming third time.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Honestly, Iris are so dang hardy, you probably will, but your bloom may be stunted. I can tell from your 2nd picture that they are needing air circulation bad, alot of fungus going on there. What scares me is that it is the perfect place for iris borers to be. Are you waiting to divide to plant more somewhere else or are you afraid it is too late in the season? You can divide right now still. Dig em up, divide them, soak them in 10% bleach solution, let them dry out for a day or so, then replant the healthy divisons, put the rest in a nylon stocking and hang them in a dry and cool place til next season or plant them in pots. You can plant them in the same spot, just amend the soil.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Don't mean to steal your thread, but I received Immortality as a bonus three or four years ago. Didn't particularly want it. It grows like a weed but has never bloomed while all the rest around it bloom every year. I've threatened it that it only has this coming year before it goes away.......

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

To expand upon cat's advice which is right on, I would do some cleanup around
the clump. Pick out all the dead leaves first then, and this is a quirk of mine, give
all the leaves showing browning or discoloration at their base a gentle sideways
tug. They should separate from their rhizomes easily. You will find that, in many
cases, the old leaves are hindering the growth of the new spreads. Bed
sanitation is half the battle for success in growing irises.

As cat said, they will do better if they are divided but you could wait another
year if needed. Rebloomers are not that hard to find a home for if you are
short of room.

I would like some but I am doing away with most of my TB's next year in order
to concentrate on the old historics.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks all but that is just one clump. I have about six that big. The only one I really care about is my Dark blue one. I would gladly get rid of the rest but lost track of colors. I will clean them up and wait till after bloom next yr and then get rid of them to those who want some. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Santa Ynez, CA

personally I would dig them up and divide and give away what you don't have room for.
replant a few for yourself and give some to friends:)

South Hamilton, MA

The center of the clump worries me. It is an invitation to rot. If you can't dig & replant--cut out the old rhizomes with a very sharp knife, they won't bloom again. Best to dig, remove old parts of the plant, put down some compost if you don't have room & reset the outside rhizomes with the good leaves. Get rid of those rhizomes which won't do again, irises do bloom off the increases.

Santa Ynez, CA

each new increase will bloom, but it would be best to divide and get rid of the old stuff and replant the new increases.

AHH, You do not remember where the blue and white ones are? You want them to bloom again so you can label them then dig them, right? Okay, then for right now do what oldgardenrose said and irisMA, then spray with a fungicide.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you all for the advise. I have half of them done already!!!! BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

pretty Iris...love that combination!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.