RUBARB that went to seed.

Greenacres, WA

I HAVE A PLANT THAT HAS GONE TO SEED, CAN THEY BE SAVED AND USED FOR GROWING MORE PLANTS? Thanks

Saint David, AZ(Zone 8a)

Rhubarb does grow from seed. Check out this article from the UA coop extension guy
University of Arizona Cooperative Extension - sorry I don't know how to make this a clickable link
I have some seed that I just started that I'm gonna set out next month. I would think that it might work where you are if you're on the wet side of the state.

Seedless is possible, I had some long ago in Virginia in another lifetime. You'll have to search. I can only say there is a seedless variety on Earth.

I'd chop the seedhead the minute I saw it, if I could live far enough north to have rhubarb, love the stuff. But I must cohabitate with coconuts.

Greenacres, WA

has anyone heard of a rhubarb being a seed plant, this one has so many go to seed and even though I keep pulling them out one by one they grow and start to seed.

I had huge rhubarb plants that I credited to Fall mulch with undigested nitrogen rich -anything- Mostly stable manure, chopped leaves, lawnmower grass, and little branches from pruning things around the yard.

I doubt rhubarb could have too much nitrogen! And more nitrogen means les seeding, hey? Ask the strawberry and tomato folks.

Saint David, AZ(Zone 8a)

I used to grow a lot of rhubarb when I lived up north. I never had much of a problem with it going to seed but then I kept it picked. The occasional seed head I just picked like a regular stalk and tossed.
My growing trick was to dump a 3 gal bucket of composted sheep manure on it in the spring just the moment it peeked it head up. And it was always the first thing to start growing as the snow melted. Sometimes it would come up through the snow!!!! Love the stuff.
I'm trying to get it to grow here, but I'm thinking it's just too hot to get the good stuff. We'll see though. I've got a good shady spot to put it.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

rhubarb from seed should be left alone for a couple of years, then the third year, harvest lightly and after that it is just like what you grow from roots.

I planted rhubarb roots in only slightly rotted cow manure and it loved it. I don't think the nitrogen content of the soil will affect rhubarb seed germination, it seems to have an unbelievable nitrogen hunger.

Greenacres, WA

WOW that is fantastic. all the terrific ideas I'll sure give it a try. Someone gave me straw mixed with horse manure would I put it on now or wait till spring? Oh yes which is
better cow or horse manure thank you

Saint David, AZ(Zone 8a)

Marcia, I would wait till spring. I don't know which side of the mountains you are on but you don't want a whole lot of new growth to get frozen off. Compost it and pile it on there just as soon as you see any sign of growth in the spring. Personally I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between horse and cow manure but I know there's lot of people that disagree with me. Horse manure can be pretty weedy depending on what they are fed and that can be a problem. If you have chickens, let them pick through it and they'll get most of the weed seeds before they sprout.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Horse manure isn't as 'strong' as cow manure and can be used pretty much straight from the horse. It would probably be good to wait until spring or your first hard freeze this fall.

Greenacres, WA

I live in Spokane WA and thanks for the advice I will wait till a hard freeze or in the early spring. I don't think I am going to mess with the seeds I just was trying to come up with things that I have to be able to trade with others. Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.