What Do YOU Grow in Your Box?

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I am gonna start off with some basics here. I would like to get an idea of what all one can grow in one of these. So please share WHAT you are growing!!

~Hi!
So far, the only thing I've grown in mine are tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. I did plant some squash, but the plants died ... I think it was just tooo hot by the time I planted them, though. I had them out with the tomatoes. Maybe they didn't like all that sun? I'm not sure but will give it another try next year. I bought my plants from WM. That could have been the problem, also. Other than that, I've had wonderful success and am definitely planning to branch out. This is the only type of gardening for me! :)
~Susan

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I've had successful tomatoes (and how!), peppers, green beans, eggplants, squash, and last year, a huge crop of sunflowers. One thing that I did this year is only plant half the recommended number of plants in each Earth Box. I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in size of plants!

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Susan,

Your problem with the squash may well have been heat. My first squash this year, in the ground, just wouldn't do anything and finally died. I replanted in August, but where they get shade during the hottest part of the day. Now, I'm getting squash like crazy. I've read that cucumbers also need some shade during the hottest part of the day in this area.

nanny_56,

I haven't yet used EBs. Like you, I am here to learn. I want to find out how to make my own from those big cat litter containers I've been accumulating. I have five cats. LOL.

Karen

Oh I like the idea of sunflowers...I want to grow some for the birds next year!

CapeCod ... what kind of beans did you grow? I want to grow some beans next spring. I have potatoes growing in 30 gal garbage cans in the back yard. I did those in the spring and they were so delicious, I planted more. They're just beginning to sprout so will do more and want beans to go with them. LOL

Karen, Actually I tried growing my squash as a second crop but put them out in July so you're probably right. It was just too hot for them. Another thing I've read is that sometime you have to hand pollinate them? If so, I probably won't have much luck! LOL

Oh sunflowers do sound pretty. I usually grow only scented flowers but would make an exception for those! :)

As for the homemade EB's, I've transferred a bunch of the links that Karen got together for us, and one of them tells how to make the homemade garden boxes. Y'all check out those links. I'm wanting to get together some info for a sticky to add to the top of the thread if you think that's a good idea?

Yes we need a sticky with basic info like how to make one and the link on where to buy for people who would rather do that.

Beans would be good...though I hear the deer will eat them...Dh would love to grow potatoes!!! In a trash can... huh! We had a neighbor bring us some from his mom's garden...they were so delicious!!!!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I was looking at Earth Boxes this year - and will keep reading and thinking about next year. I did grow potatoes in a trash can this year - and they were great!

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
CapeCod ... what kind of beans did you grow?

Susan, I just grew some green bean plants that I bought at Agway--wish I could remember their name. They were the bog-standard green beans, and I used the Earth Box trellis to train them up.

Thanks CapeCod ... I'm definitely going to do some.

debilu, aren't those potatoes yummy? I've got 2 cans going again. Sure hope they do as good as my spring crop did. :)
~Susan

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Tomatoes (Cherokee Purple and Reif Red Heart)
Peppers (Bells, Fish and a small hot variety)
Eggplant (my wife asked that I not put this in the EB any more since it produced too many fruits for us to eat!)

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

All this discussion got me so fired up I have just this minute ordered some veggie seeds from Park Seeds for next year's EB harvest! (Cukes, tomatoes, squash, beans.) Have to do something to keep my spirits up; my EBs are still producing great tomatoes but I can see the handwriting on the seasonal wall. . . it's all going to end.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

So far to date I have grown tomatos, (of course), corn, peas. stringbeans, (Festina and Jade being my favorite) cucumbers (Diva being delicious) all kinds of melons, spinach, celery, egg plant, peppers, Okra, pole beans, etc. Just about anything that can be grown in the ground can be grown in an EB. The root system does not have to expand as it would in the earth searching for water and nutrients as all it needs is available in the EB. Any dwarf tree fruit like figs, papaya, avocado etc can be grown very successfully as long as you stake the EB to prevent it from being top heavy in the wind especially corn. Sixteen plants to the box @ two ears to the plant will give 32 delicious ears that are fantastically delicious compared to store bought. I have eaten the corn raw right off the stalk as I putter in my garden. I am very tempted to try grapes? When they finish the construction around my home I will buy more EBs and experiment. So far I have never been disappointed? If it grows in the ground - try it? I will be planting pre-cooled tulips and hyacinths in JANUARY for March bloom.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

This is my first year with earth boxes. I have 2. I grew cherry tomatoes and big beef tomatoes in one (they did great!) and sweet corn in the other (they did lousy, started browning from the ground up and corn never got bigger than 3 inches).

Not sure why the corn failed. Followed all direction to a "T".

Kudos on the new forum!

tommyr2006 -- Could it have been old seed as this has never happened to me especially if you followed all instructions? WEIRD!!! I buy all my seed on-line from reputable nurseries and rarely ever from HD or Lowes as I have found their seed to be inferior even though they have trade names like Ferris, Burpee, etc.

Tplant,
They were this years seeds. All I can think of is they needed a nitrogen boost. I've heard people say they add some miracle grow to the water along with the regular fertilizer strip.

Will try again next year with it.

This all sounding so great!! I thought the type ogf growing might be limited...but clearly not!!

Corte Madera, CA

I started my sustainable gardening this year, and next season, my veggies and herbs will be grown in EBs, Square Foot Planters, and Tomato Success Kits.

I bought my first EB (locally) yesterday, and I know it will work for me. The ease of assembly sold it for me, too. It's very sturdy and obviously very well made.

Tommy -- Next year try 15-30-15 Bloom Booster. Corn is very demanding and I forgot to mention that is what I use for corn. Everything else 10-1010.

Finally transplanted my tomato seedlings into larger containers so I'll be able to set them in my EBs
by October. Even though I was in the shade it was still pretty hot out there 90* and I finished just in time as I was starting to feel the heat.

This message was edited Sep 21, 2008 2:53 PM

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
Any dwarf tree fruit like figs, papaya, avocado etc can be grown very successfully as long as you stake the EB to prevent it from being top heavy in the wind

Tplant, this sounds very tempting, particularly since I could roll the tree (in its EB) inside for the winter. . . I'd love to have a dwarf lemon tree, for instance. But don't they grow too much to stay in an EB? Even though dwarf? Or do you prune a lot? I've wondered about growing roses in self-contained box gardens for the same reason. What do you do with perennials in EBs?

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi,

Here are some photos of my peppers in earthboxes. This is my row of four boxes with hot peppers (keeping them separate from the sweet ones to prevent cross pollination)

Thumbnail by essentialplanet
Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

And here is a close-up of the Kung Pao box. I love these!

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Corn did really well in earthboxes for me. This was my first year growing corn, and it was SO TASTY!!!
Here they are early in the season.

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

And here they are at harvest time.

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

I have also grown Broccoli, Cabbage, Tomatoes, Squash, Melons & Strawberries (in photo) and right now I have some winter greens in a couple of boxes. Early in the season I grew lettuce, and the lettuce thrived (but then lettuce seems to thrive wherever it is put).

Oh, I've just got to try corn now. :) I love corn! Can you imagine the looks I'd get living right here in town with corn in my back yard? That would be priceless! ^_^ hahaha

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

e-planet: If Tplant is the King Of EB's, You are the Queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BocaBob

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

BocaBob,

Thanks! That's a title I would be proud to have!

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

e-planet: your very welcome. Get ready to be inundated with questions about your unbelievable success.!!!

BocaBob

Tplant,
Thanks for the tip.

That corn is unbelievable!! I would love to do corn...but after watching the deer eat my neighbors this summer, may have to pass on it!

Lilburn, GA

Avocados??? They are massive trees!!! Can you get dwarf ones that will grow in a box?

I would like info on perennial growing as well.:o)

Yes! There is a dwarf avocado that has been on the market for about a year. Home Depot has it @$49 plus Park Seeds and a few other companies.

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Questions and sharing is what it is all about! I just love that we have gotten our own forum for this subject.

Corte Madera, CA

tplant, how about citrus "calamondin" - - - i have to have this in my garden. thanks.

My DH wants to know how to grow potatoes in a trash can...He wants to grow potatoes so bad!

Here ya go! Have fun. I'm doing 2 cans for a fall crop. Let me know how they turn out if you decide to try them. :)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/825325/

Here is where I learned
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/825325/

You all are fast....thanks!

I've actually posted that link for a few that have asked, thanks Susan!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.