A few Salvias in bloom...

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

A few photos of Salvias that are blooming for me now...

This one has been blooming non-stop since planted in early summer.

Salvia greggii 'Stampede Citron'

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Grown from seed and just starting to bloom.

Lavender Salvia coccinea

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Lavender Salvia coccinea again.

It's a really odd shade of mauve-plum.

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL!
Okay, lest we all get a neck ache, let's try that one again!

Thumbnail by Danita
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I have that and it hasn't flowered yet...can hardly wait!

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Both grown from seed.
Tall Peach-Pink Salvia splendens and Salvia exserta (formerly Salvia praeclara.)

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Close-up of Salvia exserta

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Whatever they've decided to call it this week.
Salvia azurea var. grandiflora
-or- Salvia pitcheri
-or- Salvia azurea subsp. pitcheri

Thumbnail by Danita
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Your garden is looking wonderful!

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Salvia azurea

Thumbnail by Danita
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

I got this one from Richard a month ago. I really like this one for both it's wonderful flowers and attractive, glossy foliage.

Salvia miniata

Thumbnail by Danita
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I just got miniata this last week..and my constant question is..."Do most of your salvias grow in full sun?"

I admire your photography, Danita, what sharp images and command of depth of field. What gear are you using, may I ask?

Joseph

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Sherry & Joseph!
I guess you can both recognize some of your seed babies in the photos. Thanks again for trading! :)

As far as sun, it depends on the salvia. The greggii's are in a lot of sun, but the splendens are in part sun/part shade. I find that a lot of plants prefer a little more shade here in the south unless they are native to similar or hotter climates.

Joseph, I'm trying to learn how to use my Canon Rebel XTi and Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 lense. My parents are professional photographers so I've never had the need to take many photos, so now I'm trying to learn. Of course, nothing I take looks great to me because I've spent most of my life looking at professional work.

It was a windy, overcast day so I had to use a fast shutterspeed to prevent wind-blur. Consequently, that meant I had to use a large aperture to compensate for the lack of light which resulted in very little depth of field. I actually like to blur the background but I would have prefered to have a little more depth of field in some shots (like exserta)so more of the subject would have been in sharp focus. But I'm still learning and very thankful that I don't have to pay for film developing as I learn like my Mom did!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I don't like to use on-camera flash for flower photos because it blows out all the details and color.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2008 4:11 PM

Danita,

That is fascinating on the details of making the shots. I don't like to use the flash either for that reason. I have discovered, however, that if you underexpose the image when using a flash the color is more acceptable. I am using my first digital camera, a Sony DSC-H5 Cybershot. I am slowly learning its functions, and maybe soon I will be able to use it on fully manual mode like I did with my film camera, a Minolta X-700.

Joseph

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.