Help me with my Empress Tree!!!

Clarence, NY

Don't lol cause I know you guys know about Royal Paulownias inside out. Mine was going great guns three months ago. Now it looks dead. Is it because I'm in the tropics? This beautiful tree was the reason I joined Dave's Garden. Please help. Should I just cut it way back and maybe it will sprout again. HELP. How long do the leaves stay off? (reaching) Pretty sure it's a corpse.

Keaau, HI

I have grown this tree in Hawai'i twice and every rainy season they die. In a temperate area they may still be alive underground.

Clarence, NY

You just broke my heart, Metro.... but thanks so much for your response. I appreciate it.

Are you talking about a tree that has BIG leaves when it young and growing fast, and then just big leaves, 12-16 inches across, and pale purple or white flowers in bunches, that resemble foxglove, tubular?

Keaau, HI

I believe that would be Paulownia tomentosa, the Chinese Empress Tree.

Now I'm wondering if Deb means a royal poinsienna, flame, or whatever- see photos...

Thumbnail by

or this?

Thumbnail by
Keaau, HI

Hey Molamola,

Thanks for the info that Deb is showing photos of the tropics (originally threw me off)!
Your 1st photo is Delonix regia, the 2nd is Caesalpinia pulcherima.

If Deb is growing Paulownia tomentosa in the tropics (Virgin Islands) rather than NY State, there's a good reason for the die-back (not temperate enough). China and New York State are temperate. Virgin Islands is the tropics.

If the species discussed are not the plant from above, please let us know Deb.

Aloha, Dave

Clarence, NY

Yes, Dave Metro, I was growing Paulownia t. It was doing so well! Still seems like root system is very secure, so I cut it back just hoping it will come back. So it is impossible? I so much loved the pics of that tree. Would it grow in NY? Here is my baby before the bitter end...

Thumbnail by DebSTX

They grow quite well in Virginia, zone 7. Love those huge baby leaves!

Clarence, NY

I can understand Virginia, but New York? We have blizzards, wind chill factors that kill people let alone plants. We have Northern Catalpa, but I want the Empress Tree. Will it REALLY grow in NY? What does it do in the winter up there?

Keaau, HI

As it is a temperate tree it will do better in NY than the Virgin Islands.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Deb, you didn't mention what zone you are trying to grow your tree in. Check here> http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/391/ for hardiness.

I am sticking with the tropicals, and no this is not my beautiful pond>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Clarence, NY

Thanks Dale. I checked out the hyperlink. If it can grow in Illinois, then must be ok for NY. No wonder it choked down here.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am not certain, but, I think it is native to northern China (& Korea?). They use the wood to make boxes. It is a very light weight wood, straight grained, grows super fast & is easy to work with hand tools. Of course trees will grow outside their usual zones, but, they have limits.

One tree here has me amused for being too far south- a loblolly pine. I think that's the name, a southern loooong needled pine. The little tree doesn't grow much tho'!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Malomalo, Can you grow Canary Island Pine? Might be too warm, the Canary Islands are in cooler waters.

I like palms best, the are easy. Spindle Palms in Sarasota (50miles down the coast from me)>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Canary Island Palms? I have no idea!! I'll check around.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Molamola, not Palms.....Pines. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/67706/ widely grown in Southern California. I'm not certain, but, I may have seen some in Hawa'ii

Duh,,, pines. There's a loblolly that hasn't grown an inch since Hugo, 19 years ago! I'll go take a photo, and put it on a different thread.

Casaurina, the Australian 'pines', grow here, but aren't at all invasive, they don't seem to reproduce at all. There are huge ones scattered around in yards. but come to think of it, no young ones anywhere.

Doesn't Hawaii have cooler temps at higher altitudes? Sure do here! Makes a big difference in what grows.

Keaau, HI

I have not heard of Pinus canariensis growing in Hawai'i.

One of the most cultivated pines in Hawai'i is the Japanese Black Pine, Pinus thunbergiana.
The Caribbean Pine, Pinus caribaea, is an Island Pine cultivated to a lesser extent here.

Filley, NE

Hi folks. I'm brand new here but thought I'd add my 2 cents. The Empress trees I'm familiar with can be found through out the south east and up to at least Maryland. They are deciduous so don't be surprised if they loose their leaves. As far north as NY they probably drop rather early. I really didn't know they grew that far north!

Hi, scifi,

Debstx wa trying to grow one in the Caribbean, and it pfft'd out. They do need some cool weather to go dormant and rest.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha scifirdr, we are so pleased to have you join us....^_^

Jenn

Keaau, HI

I think Deb did good with an Empress Tree where she is. I've grown them twice here, and they didn't get as nice a Deb's tree.
Jacararanda mimosofolia is a good purple flowering tree for Tropical Climates.

Dave, can I grow Jacaranda down here at sea level ? I am thinking that there isn't enough winter chill as I have never seen any down here in Kihei. They are so breathtaking up in Kula.

Keaau, HI

Hey Jen, that is one of my favorite things about Upcountry Maui. I used to live in Keokea, and it was always breathtaking to see the trees in full bloom at Keokea Park and along Kula Rd. out to Ulupalakua!

I'm not sure how well Jacaranda does in the heat in Kihei. They are naturalized around Kona over here. They may like it somewhat dry too, as I have had a couple trees in the ground (on top of the lava) for over ten years, and they have never bloomed (we get over 200 inches of rain per year).

Thanks Dave. I used to have one in the valley in Arizona so I know they don't mind the heat or lack of moisture, but we did have cold (to me) nights there in the low 40's so I am thinking they need the winter chill as I have never seen one in the lower elevations.

You are always such a fund of knowledge, Mahalo.

Low fourties IS cold!!!! Sixty is unbearable!!! gets to 68 here, on a terrible night!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Howdy Scifidr! Gotta ask...how did you come up with that name. Welcome to the TZG forum.

Jenny - give the Jacaranda a try...what's the worst that could happen? They are so beautiful that it would sooooo be worth the trouble.

Yokwe,
Shari

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Randy brought three jacaranda seedlings about 12" each in April of this year. Planted them in the ground and they are closer to three feet now. Wondering if they will survive 8a or should I dig and pot?

Christi

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

When I was in Hawai'i in April 07, it was the tulip trees that took our breath away. I swear if you plant a slice of bacon in Hawai'i, you'll get a pig tree in a couple years.

Aloha.
Sylvain, a.k.a. Pu'ole.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Christi - wish I could help, but I just don't know...hopefully someone will be able to advise you.

LOL pig tree! LOL!!!

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI

How much bacon did you plant when you were here Pu'ole? Those beasts are everywhere!

Aloha,

I don't know if this helps any, but when we lived in Arizona our Jacaranda had winter temps in the mid to low thirties at night - they did fine.

Keaau, HI

Good point Jen!

The nicest Jacaranda trees I've seen are in Upper Kula, and it frosts up there most every winter.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you. They are still putting out new growth even though we are expecting our first "cold front" tonight. No biggie, just the mid 40's but a change from mid 80's. Lots to do today and so glad I am getting the strength to do it. Yippee!!!

PK

Clarence, NY

Christi, I know Jacarandas won't even thrive at sea level in the tropics. They need a cool, dry winter. I know they are zone 9-11. If I were you I'd just go for it and leave them in their home. But then I love to experiment... maybe cover them with burlap if too cold winter like we do in NY. Deb

Clarence, NY

Also, why do you guys call African Tulip trees Pig trees?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Christi....just skipping around and saw this thread. A friend had me ID a Empress Tree that is in her neighborhood for her a couple years ago. So take heart it was large and blooming in Fort Worth.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.