Salvia a hailucinating drug

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

Is it against the law to grow all salvia or just a certain cultivar in some states because of the hallucinogen effect.
Saw on the news where teens were missusing Salvia and some have died.
If sage is one I sure am going to miss my breakfast sausage.
Sorry I's and L's look alike to these old eyes

This message was edited Sep 17, 2008 7:29 PM

Keaau, HI

Maybe once you learn how to use spell check you will get an answer to your question...until then I don't think anyone here wants to talk about using Salvia to get high.

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

I was not looking for a smart answer
I just want to know if I need to destrot my plants

Ripley, MS

Here is an article for you to read
http://www.couplescompany.com/Features/Alerts/Salvia.htm
Some states has made it illegal to grow this kind, I am glad I don't have any teenage neighbors to raid my plants.
Sandra

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's just the one particular kind, and it's not one of the ones that you would commonly find at garden centers, so I doubt you have anything to worry about with the ones you're growing.

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Sage is fine if it is the culinary variety, most salvias/sages are fine just the divinorum that has the fuss around it.

Annette

Candor, NC

I put in a link to Daniel Siebert's web page (his web site is SageWisdom.org)

http://sagewisdom.org/legalstatus.html

The drug community refers to Salvia divinorum as simply salvia and is totally unconcerned with the horticultural community, which recognizes 900 species and some of these with many horticultural forms. Only divinorum has the psychotropic chemical Salvinorin A in it.

Unfortunately, there are those who would rather avoid educating themselves on the scientific facts and would rather act out of fear to appease some imagined authoritarian figure. By projecting their fear and relinquishing rather than developing their authority, they cede power to energized opportunistic politicians who will be more than happy to pass all kinds of stupid laws banning plants.

So far, the state laws are not banning all Salvias (see the web page for details), but the lack of general information on this subject is causing the swamping of many forensic labs with lots of inactive samples, overloading these critical and already overworked instruments of the law. I know about this situation, because I have been supplying salvia samples to the main scientific lab of the Department of Public Safety of Alaska. Their staff is doing research on all known species of Salvia to verify just the point I started out with in my first paragraph.. Besides having an extensive knowledge of the genus Salvia, I am a natural products chemist who has done work on drug discovery.

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone for your knowledge in this matter.
I have checked my list and thankfully I do not have that one.
I wonder if the kids now days go around smoking everything in sight.
A few years ago it was mushrooms,morning glories,datura and brugs.
It looks like we may have to put razor wire around our gardens.

Ripley, MS

Don't forget the stuff they sniff too. You have to get sinus med behind the counter now.
I think there are some people who make a living trying to abuse everything to see if they can get high on it.
Sandra

Do you mean to say that I shouldnt be sniffing my salvias as I may get high lol, love the scent on them, they are worth sniffing:))))

Ripley, MS

Oh no I was referring to glue and white out so many things that have to be monitered these days to be sure it isn't being purchased for EVIL uses--lol
Keep right on sniffing those salvias and I will be joining you-lol
Sandra

Dont forget paint and petrol, leave that sort of sniffing to the mixed up souls and will just keep smelling my sages:)

Ripley, MS

What season are you in now Annette ? Do you have anything in bloom?
Sandra

Sandra,

It is spring here, tons in bloom and coming into blue, all splendens sp flowering,madrensis, curviflora,muirii,greggiis,pratensis(bud), lyrata,guaranitica, disjuncta etc, too many too mention, it is the ones that are not in bloom and I have never seen flower that I anxiously await.

Here is Salvia Disjuncta.

Cheers Annette

Thumbnail by annette68
Ripley, MS

I thought it might be spring there. That is a beautiful salvia. You will have to keep us going with pictures through our long cold winter here. I have acquired a few new ones and just getting them into the ground, hoping for new blooms next spring. My limelight is just starting to show some color. Maybe enough by Monday for a picture.
Sandra

I love the limelight, I had seeds of one that I sowed that went wrong, this is the result,this has flowered since Autumn and still flowering.It is a beauty, named it after my son.

Salvia Mexicana 'Kieran'

Thumbnail by annette68
Ripley, MS

Beautiful, looks like a good "gone wrong"
The limelight only blooms here for me in the fall and then it is over. Too short for such a beautiful plant.
Sandra

That is why I grow so many so I can enjoy salvia flowers all year round, mind you my mexicanas flower for the longest time here, love them, they are truly majestic.

Ripley, MS

Our weather has clear cut seasons here. Fall is in the air now and winter won't be far behind.
Sandra

LOL we have clear cut weather as well warm in winter and hot the rest of the year:)

Ripley, MS

I think I would like that very much. I do not like cold weather and snow. We hardly ever really get much snow here,usually a dusting or two and that is about it.
Jan is the worst and Feb. I get very depressed in the long dark days of winter.
Sandra

I went to see my mum in Brisbane in August, nearly died it was so cold, probably mild to your winter though cold for me though, Where I live you only need a jumper at night you dont need one in the daytime in winter, maybe for a couple of days, the days are still in their 20's celcius here, absolutely love it and the salvias thrive in it, except the ones that come from the cold, mind you a few of them have aclimatized here and dont mind forgetting their heritage:))))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.