I want to start transplanting!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I have fall fever! This weather has been so wonderful the last few days. (However, I've been unable to enjoy it much because I've been housebound for 3 days with a pre-schooler who has a cold.) I'm dying to start moving plants around. Is it too soon? This weather is tricking me into thinking summer is over, but I bet we'll have another "hot snap." This is my favorite time of year!

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

The first day of fall is Monday! I love the cooler temps too, haven't had a hot flash in a couple days ;) I want to do the same thing. I have things that need to be moved and I want to get my shade bed finished before all the leaves start falling. My inlaws are flying in Sun. morning so I better get busy. I still have to buy mulch and more soil. Want to do some winter sowing this year too!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm having your exact thought. Time to move some stuff. Think I'm a little early with that.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Me too! Told myself this morning: must be calm; wait. So I walked around parting the foliage on several perennials, looking at the crown trying to determine how many plants I can divide it into. I sat in the garden and made some notes; it was cool enough I needed hot tea. So great - yes I love this time of year too. Pam

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

I am trying to pacify my urges to divide by enlarging (& amending) a couple of existing beds! An-ti-ci-pa-a-tion! Whew! Samantha

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

So what plants are on your Fall transplant lists? We usually wait until Spring. Perhaps this should be a separate thread, but I'd love to hear what your Fall transplant plans are. After many poor experiences with Fall divisions I'm a bit wary of attempting to establish plants that are trying to go to sleep. Do you think Fall divisions and transplants do as well as Spring ones? What's your opinion?
Laurel

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

For me, fall transplants seem as successful, sometimes more so in that it get so hot so soon in spring (like this year with May being 90+). I will be dividing daylilies, dwarf ruellia, stokesia, penstemon, agastache, phlox, catmint, scabiosa, and others if I see the crown can handle it. Mums and sedums and other fall bloomers are the only ones I definitely don't divide in fall. In fact, that may nix the ruellia since it's blooming well now. Also I wait till spring on large leafy plants like hosta; they seem happier to do it as they're emerging.

And I may try liatris although mine are not very large, but I saw a thread recently on that and they have little corms sitting on top of the mother bulb. Interesting.

I too would like to hear others experiences. It may save some of my plants! Pam

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

In my experience down here in HOT south Georgia, everything perennial does better when divided/ planted in the fall. They have months to grow great roots, without having to battle heat & drought - our sandy soil hardly retains water, so even with bi-weekly irrigation, summer is hard on even established plants. Dividing or planting in Spring, which can often reach 90+ in May, just does not give things enough time to grow deep roots. I will be dividing daylilies, iris, maybe some hostas, coneflowers - my phlox were new this year - they did well, even planted in Spring, so are not big enough to divide. Samantha

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm on the coast and everything does better transplanted in the fall, right about now. Ground is warm but the temps aren't burtal so everything has a chance to get rooted and all ready to grow in the spring.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I usually move things around in the fall rather than spring, and mostly put in new things in fall too. I agree with others that it seems less stressful for the plants and they can just focus on establishing roots rather than making flowers. It's delayed gratification, but then in the spring I can relax more and maybe just buy myself a few "treats" when I find an empty spot someplace. This year I don't have that much dividing to do. Mostly just moving things and eliminating stuff. (If anyone in the Atlanta area wants any Rudbeckia Goldstrum or Shasta daisies, let me know!) This spring I planted this "tiny" patch of hardy ageratum I got from a neighbor. It has exploded (gorgeously) into a giant, tall patch I wasn't prepared for. So I do need to divide that and move it around. Other things I need to move around are phlox, green and gold, salvia, oregano, obedient plant, Japanese asters and Rudbeckia Triloba. This is mostly to make room for new things (bergenia, euphorbia, hardy geranium, fountain grass, achillea, monarda and perennial bachelor button.) Last fall I swore I wasn't going to buy anything because I was feeling broke. I'm still broke this year, but I just couldn't stand it. Maybe I'm just getting back at my hubby who bought a chain saw I really didn't think we needed! :-) Since I discovered Bluestone Perennials I figured I could afford it because the prices are so reasonable. I know the plants are small, but again, there's that delayed gratification! I just have to make sure everything's moved around in time for the new arrivals, so I'm getting anxious.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

erdooley, yes I meant to say that too re: delayed gratification! But the spring show seems better by moving plants in the fall since they are settled in and 'good to go'.

I have a love/hate relationship with hardy ageratum. I have rogued it out a couple of times but end up getting it again - on purpose. The blue color is so welcome this time of year and it's so adaptable; great in my challenging conditions. It pops up in shade, sun and everything in between. But whooeee, does it spread. One time the deer taught me a lesson: they 'pruned' a patch of it at just the right time (mid summer I guess) and it put on the best show ever: a tight full planting, gorgeous.

I grew Japanese False Aster 'hortensis' for the first time this year and was impressed. Armitage says it's foolproof (always handy :) ) and I liked that it was covered (is) for months will small white blooms. I'll be dividing it too.

erdooley, if I got back at my husband for all of the unnecessary stuff he bought by buying more plants, we wouldn't have anywhere to sleep!! ROTFLMBO!! ;)
I did order a 'bulb garden' from my son's school fundraiser yesterday, so I guess we are even for the crap he brought home from walmart last night.
I ordered a few things from High Country Gardens awhile back. They are in NM and everything is drought tolerant, perfect for here. Their plants are huge and well worth the $. Good prices too. I got a spiderwort (tradescantia) with the furry leaves and it is already blooming. It was the size of a plant you'd buy from a nursey (huge)
My inlaws are coming in on Sun. and we are going to visit FIL's cousin in Loganville. She has the most beautiful yard. Maybe I'll sneak my camera in.
I have a few iris to get in the ground still and hostas. Need a truckload of mulch and soil to get the job done. First I need to get rid of all the grass that made it's way into the back yard beds :>/

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

R-ann -- sneak your camera in? Don't stop there! Take pruners, pots, plastic bags etc - and get yourself some cuttings, pieces, etc!!

I was thinking, maybe if I take her a plant or two maybe I won't come home empty handed! lol Last time I visited her, I told her about DG. She would love it here.
Plus Grower's Outlet is around the corner from her house too.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Good idea. My thinking is that we gardeners love to share, right? So you would be doing her a favor by allowing her to share. Sweet deal. :)

Byron, GA

I hope this is ok to post here but I was wanting ot move my iris bulbs and I was wondering if they would do ok near pine trees? They are not doing well where they are and I need to find a good spot for them. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

mommy, what kind of iris? I don't know much but bearded iris like no mulch, good drainage and lots of sun. Mine in part shade don't bloom. and it's hard keeping the leaves off them if they're near trees.

Byron, GA

I think that is the kind I have. I guess I should plant them in full sun and away form trees maybe they will bloom then. They were given to me so I am not for sure what kind they are. Thanks for your info.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.