New Bokashi Question (s)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Being a new convert to this method, and EM1 - I have a question:

I have found a small wood mill near me...producing tons of sawdust and shredded bark. I know I can use the sawdust for Bokashi, but do I need THAT much Bokashi? I would like to know

1. What other things can I use Bokashi for other than processing kitchen waste -

2. How would I process heavier material, like shreds of bark so that it will decompose well?
Pile it, spray it with Em1 or AEM and cover it with a tarp or dirt?

3. How long can I keep Bokashi dried and airfree?

TIA

mulege, Mexico

Hi Carol - If you have water around you that could use some clean-up you can make bokashi balls (directions at the EM website). They might have other suggestions for how to use it.

I don't know about the bark; probably what you suggested would work. Add some seaweed if you have it.

I think dried bokashi keep indefinately as long as it's airfree.

With all that sawdust you could make enough bokashi to share around. Do you have a school nearby where you could teach the kids? Or a restaurant that has a lot of garbage?

If you know anyone who has an outhouse, give them some.

katiebear

mulege, Mexico

P.S. Off hand I'd say that any place there is a bug problem, like flies, is a good place for bokashi.

kb

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Interesting Katie...how would the Bokashi get rid of flies?

mulege, Mexico

The flies are drawn by, and feed on, waste. The bokashi ferments the waste, eliminates the oder of rot and, as I understand it, changes the composition of the rotting waste so it does not attract flies, I know if there are flies around a bokashi I have to add more bokashi or add some molasses or spray with EM. When this stuff is working properly the flies just aren't drawn to it.

I've had this experience with fish waste, beef scraps and dog poop - three big fly attractors. Use the bokashi or EM and the flies don't come around.

katie

P.S. I'm not sure my explanation is correct but I can testify to the results.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Good explanation....thanks. I guess that is why they sopray the EM in cages at the zoos.....

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OK...another question:

I am putting in a garden (vegetables) but don't have enough fermented kitchen waste to bury under where i am planting.... Pouring diluted 'Bokashi Juice' where I am going to plant will help, right?

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Use 1 tablespoon/1 gal of water and pour it on! LOL

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Thanks!!!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Yep, pour it on. And if all that sawdust is available, have you considered a Holiday Bokashi basket for your gardening friends and neighbors? Give them bag of Bokashi bran (sawdust) with directions for using and get them hooked! :D

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

HA HA!! Well, I bought some already made Bokashi to use before getting all involved making it etc. I did try making it with Peat Moss and it never innoculated. So, anyway, I got so exciting about processes the kitchen waste and using the Bokashi juice....I have invited all of the Master Gardeners over on the 16th for a demonstration!!! The local rep for EM (whom I have met) is coming over as well with HIS dog and pony show so we will get a lot done. The rep (Tim) facilitated me buying some Wheat Bran (Mill Run from Honolulu....don't know what one would call it) so we will make some Bokashi when they are here.

Tim, the rep, walked around the property and showed me different ways I can use EM... Today I filled the 16gal tank in the cart with EM and BTI (against mosquitos) and sprayed 2 rounds on the property. I targeted piles of debris (palm fronds etc.) to zap the mozzies and to start the breaking down of the material...and I targeted the huge leaves under the trees which hold water for the mozzies to breed in. With the BTI and the EM the larvae will be killed and the leaves will biodegrade instead of holding more water.

BTW - BTI is a Bacteria that eats mosquito larvae.

So...I am becoming a new convert and spreading the good news!!!!! and I love it. There will probably be about 30 people coming....

You are referring to Bacillus thuringiensis israeliensis as BTI I presume?

mulege, Mexico

Nobody likes a smart -a@@ (except me).

kb

Hey! It could have been something new to try.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Righty-O (it was after a long day and I couldn't bring myself to spell it!!!)... I even have to spray the axils of the heliconias and bananas!!!

However, by spraying EM on the dead banana, heliconia, palm etc., leaves (we collect the dead leaves around the plants or added mulch and fertilizer) I am hoping they will break down faster and not trap the rainwater where the mosquitos breed in the tiniest of puddles.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.