show us your columbine #3

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

This is coming from number 2

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/609069/

By the way this year I photographed and collected seeds from 22 different columbine and have ordered 6 different ones for next year. When I get them packed up and labeled I will put them in the seed exchange. (Not real soon so don't hold your breath I am busy with other things in the garden right now.)

This message was edited Sep 17, 2008 12:03 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

So is it time to be direct-sowing columbines in Northern gardens, or did I miss it? I know the flowers used to do a good job themselves.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I scatter them just about any time as long as there is time for them to get a start before it freezes. Otherwise wait until there is snow on the ground and they will just sit there until spring comes. You can winter sow them as well.

I have several coming up from seed I scattered earlier in the summer. Now I will wait until November to scatter the new seed I bought.

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh, Thankyou for putting that link from the first thread! I found this one that popped up in my garden on it's own. It is my absolute favorite. Andrea

Thumbnail by mygypsyrose
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

It is beautiful. Make sure you collect some seeds from it.

I got a few that didn't spill out already :-)

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Good.

I was rereading the back threads. My neighbor moved here from texas years ago and she is a gardener. She did bring alot of seeds and plants with her. Is this possible where this came from. It does look like Longissima from someone's picture on thread 2, so I looked it up. I haven't seen it in her garden before (I've lived here 3 years) , but she does have columbine. Here's the link http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2900/ What do you think? Thanks, Andrea

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Does your face up like the Longissima? I can't tell from your photo.

yes

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

It sure looks like it then doesn't it.

Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

These were from last year's garden. The first year they bloomed there were no red. Last year a few reds bloomed. I have no idea of the name. I received them in a trade.
I added many more columbines to my gardens and I know they cross-pollinate freely. Names are not important to me.

DEMinPA

Thumbnail by DEMinPA

I thought so, but I'm not good with knowing all the characteristics that you need to positively ID a plant. I just knew it was completely different from any of the columbine that I have here. You guys here are much more knowledgeable :-) Thanks for your help, Andrea

This was such a mix of pastel pinks and purples. It was hard to get of the camera.

Thumbnail by mygypsyrose
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Question: HOW do you stop those darn teeny little green worms from decimating the plants? I have a big problem with them in one area.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.