She's About 2 #18

Midwest City, OK(Zone 7b)

Welcome to Brugs, Lilies, grandbabies, Hotties or whatever. Feel free to join in the fun.

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/902691/

This message was edited Sep 17, 2008 8:18 AM

Since AuntB just worked so hard on this post, I'm moving it for her....

Good Day Hotties! Lazy evening last night... from little sleep the night before... Okay, Donna, I'll bite... What is an OP and a Tree Lily? I have 4 nursery pots of lilies waiting to be planted, some have waited 2 years... I think I'll just scratch the rocks and clay, unpot them and fill in around them with some dirt/p.mix... SO, yes, I like the lilies and didn't know or think about them being so adaptable to that kind of "soil". But, I'm not biting on any more (right now), I've "abused" the ones I have too long. Wolfie, sure enjoying pics of your talent, and college?? a few years ago? you were like 65... you go, Hottie! Your dear lady IS a smart gal to have scooped you up. My mother is 75 and has 6 living sis's, and 3 bro's, they write letters (and phone). I'd love to get them all on a computer... but they think they are too old to learn! HA-we're NEVER too old to learn... I'm a bit confused on the fruit ...vendor in the Phillipines... did you stub your toe on a banana? lol ;) I like all your pics, especially the triple cross stitch and the "amatuer" barn painting... I think it is lovely, I could almost smell the hay and barnyard animals.. Do you own Kubota equipment?? My boss has a couple Kubota tractors and Komatsu excavators and wheel loaders... (nice lamp, too)
Sweet Taters (Linda Kay :) What kind of surgery on your foot, dear?? Makes my ingrown sound like a paper cut! Toe looks kinda yucky, but I think it is healing, it is more of an aggravation than painful, but reminds every once in a while that I had something done to it..
I Kim, the quiet one! :) Funny how that snail passed up all the other branches and leaves on his journey to the top... I've got things (cats I think) eating on mine, but soon, they will be getting stripped of a lot of their leaves, so I'm letting the cats nibble a little here and there.
Gotta do some work... later Hi Clem, Cathy, Phyllis, Audrey- hope I didn't miss anyone. Bet Pegs sleeping in after her big night "out on the town" ;) Posey, waving back at ya (from the hottie thread to the brug 101 thread, which I hope there isn't a test on today, cause I didn't do my homework (study the 101 thread) last night) lol

This message was edited Sep 17, 2008 8:19 AM

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Peg, you sweetie! Aunt B, you left ME out, LOL! ***waving frantically from Texas***, hahah! Cool and sunny outside, a BEE-YOO-TIFUL day! Can't wait to get outside and fiddle around. What are you hotties doing today?

Morning Karen. How's the cleanup coming?

I just woke up, very late for me, and I am planning on using my day off in the yard. The weather looks beautiful today and I need to get soo much done. Our first possible frost date is coming up quicker than I want it to, so have to get some things done. Housework, bad word, will just have to wait around here!

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Morning Hotties
Home this morning, nice and peaceful here today. I spent the morning cleaning up and playing on Photo Shop. Next I’ll go out and water the masses.

This is the best of many, most all his pix look the same, he is a sleepy little one. I have only seen his eyes open that one time for the last pix I posted. This one was take last night. His blue cap is courtesy of the hospital but his beautiful blue blanket was knitted for him by his Step Great-grandmother, she is 95 years old, and an amazing women. The blanket is incredibly soft, such small intricate stitches, and each one done with her love for this little boy.

I tried to post this on #16 but you hotties were on the move and I don’t think it got there. My pc was hung up for 20 min. Seem okay now, AuntB I’ll get back to you on the Lilies.

Thumbnail by DONNA_11

Donna, that is just too precious. (Hugs)

I hope I catch you, because you had said before you taught art. I have a ceramic racoon that is in need of major help. If I d-mail you a picture, would you kindly give me an opinion? Keith thinks it was kiln-glazed, but I don't think so because it has totally lost most of its coloring. Anway, let me know and I will get the picture.

Aw Donna! I think Aidan is growing already! He's just beautiful. Such a sweet story about his little blanket too. Funny, the cap matches perfectly!

Peg your post about the swan planter got me to thinking. Around here those are kind of like the pink flamingos, sort of tacky/beautiful depending on the eyes of the beholder and they sell them at all the Dollar Stores. I'll bet your MIL thought they were they most beautiful things ever and enjoyed buying them for your pretty garden. How sweet that you have them now. Sounds like a good MIL....I wouldn't know, I've been through 3 and never had a good one yet, LOL!

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

HAHAHA! Darkmoon, I thought of those pink flamingos too,but was afraid to mention it☺☺

What a beautiful new baby child Donna☺ and the love for Aidan from SGG with every stitich of the lovely blanket, a wonderful story,thanks for sharing☺

Karen, My MIL was a very loving best.

But I got lucky. Keith's first wife was, umm, "very difficult," (trying to be nice here), so when I finally came around, in comparison, everybody thought I was great. LOL! We buried MIL four years ago yesterday and she has been on my mind all week. She was born with a bone disorder and physically handicapped all of her life. But that lady could run circles around most people.

Have a good day, all, I've got to get outside. Peg

(Phyllis) Osceola, PA(Zone 5b)

Okay back to Brugs..Not Lilies...
Here's that leaf I was talking about...

It's been pretty cold at night here but not freezing and was wondering if I should move her inside
in a warmer place but not in the main part of the house....??
As there's a fire going just to nip the cold....And wouldn't want her shedding her leaves yet...
She's one of the topless girls...

Thumbnail by lilsista59
South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Peg, Send the dmail, I never did ceramics, mostly I taught acrylics on wood. What they call back then in the 80’s Tole painting or Folk art. I don’t think anything that was done with a ceramic glaze and baked would lose color. If it was done with acrylic and a water base sealer (which is very possible) it might.

I bought some ceramic glazed gnomes a couple of years ago from Big Lots that were beautiful, and appeared to be kiln fired. Alas, after one year in the yard they have lost every speck of color and paint and are all now the same bone yellow color. Really made me mad, I feel gyped for sure. Guess I can spray paint them all but it's not the same. They weren't real cheap either.

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Phyllis, The leave type is right for above the Y but I don’t know what location is best for her. I’m leaving mine outside for a while yet, letting them prepaid to go dormant. Better to wait for someone with more experienced then me for that.

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

I have ceramic pieces that were hand painted and kiln fired in the house for 30 years and they look the same as the day they were given to me. I have never tried to keep any outside so I don’t know how that would affect them. Acrylic paint and water based varnish will not stand up to the weather at all. Any pieces I have put outside only last a season before they start looking nasty.

Okay, since we're talking about it, I'll go ahead and post the poor little guy here. He still has paint on his bottom half. I would just like to do a makeover for him.

Thumbnail by merpeg

PSS, he has been outside more than 20 years, this was not sudden or over one season.

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Wolfie, leave me your lamp in your will!

What are "earwigs", what do they look like, I didn't know they bite! I've heard of them all my life, but if I've ever seen one, I didn;t know it!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

You chatty hotties!!! Thanks Peggy, So glad you had a great time last night.. that post DID take a long time, cause the phone and work stuff... XO Karen, Karen dear Karen... I even thought about you BEFORE I posted that on #17! Honest Engine... then I thought, "No, I mentioned Karen at the beginning"... (so, drat, I did miss someone!) ((Karen)) I missed ya, but I DID think about you! I see that cute adorable "little" Aidan pic and what a hottie little baby he is! No time to read girls, and Wolfie, but I'll be back to catch up, soon I hope... Phyllis, LOVED the deer pic... (hump day... only thing better is Friday) Love to all (means everyone, including sweet pretty Karen;)

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Someone is holding a $10.00 check from me for brugs. Will you please cash it, it's gonna mess me up! Thanks a bunch!!

(Cathy), MO

Send me one Audrey! I'LL cash it!!! :-)

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

OH cat,you awful prankster♥LOL

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I just had to say something, (work thing still not done) - Karen asked on #17 - What's the big deal about lilies? - at the end of the thread she's VERY excited about them, prolly has some coming in the mail and 'thanking' the enablers.... lol ;)

(Cathy), MO

Hey, isn't that what we are here for??? LOL

Yep! I do ***Karen blushing now*** Wolfie is going to send me some of his and a local DG'r is bringing me some at our RU in October, so I get to see for myself what all the fuss is about, LOL! Just think, I never heard of a Brug until July 1, can you believe I lived this long and am so uninformed? ROTF

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Audrey,
That check might be mine - I received a sweet thank you note from you, but there was no check enclosed...
Jen

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Peggy he's CUTE! Hope you can get him re-done somehow... My front porch has a roof, so I put things out there if I don't want them weathered, but I'd say he's held up great after so many years.
I'm glad you are getting some lilies, Karen... you will enjoy them and think of the lily enablers for years to come.
Phyllis, I'm sorry I don't remember about your topless brug... How tall is it? Does it have other bloom tips that didn't get "stripper" I mean broken off? The leaf does look like some do, as an indicator that buds are coming.....I have brugs blooming in the basement in winter, with very few leaves... I kept it 50 or warmer down there.. They will take cold temps, just not freezing... (gee, the phone!!!!) So what is it you are asking about it? (I'm not a very good mult-tasker when brugs, flowers, and hotties are involved)

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Good morning everyone. Glad to hear your doing OK. Wolfie, that lamp is so pretty, where did you get it?

AuntB, my foot is still pretty sore, I spend a lot of time in the recliner, with it propped up. I have to wear this big black boot, whenI do try to walk, with the assistance of crutches or a cane. I can't put any pressure on it, but maybe when I have the stitches removed???
I know all about ingrown toenails as well. I have had 2 of them removed, and that is not fun either!
Warning, ugly picture, look at your own risk!
Linda Kay

Thumbnail by taters55
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Gosh Audrey, you got plants from Hawaii??? WHat WHAT??? Hi Jen.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Aw, LK, I'm sorry... that looks like it smarts pretty good! They could only keep me down for 1 afternoon, but I don't have stitches or bruises... Hope it heals fast.. we can't have you stuck in the recliner for long..
Oh, Peggy, it's h-o-u-s-e-w-o-r-k... when you say it, it's profanity... remember? It's the ONLY hottie rule. Where's our mediator?? ;)

Audrey, how in the world did you manage to get plants from Hawaii? Way to go!
Come on, give us your secrets. What did you get?
Linda Kay

The top got removed somehow (never did find it...LOL) guess something got hungry...LOL
The Leaf is off a Y coming out of the limb....
And I was just wondering if it's "POSSIBLY " gonna bloom ...
Should I move it to a cool place inside in front of a window??
As it's been very cold outside at night lately??

Here's the Y I guess??

Thumbnail by lilsista59
Heber Springs, AR

can someone identify this beauty for me? it came up around my goldfish pond.

Thumbnail by werewolf1
Heber Springs, AR

this is my best one so far, won 3rd place in the art contest. yayyyyyyyyyy this is the last one i will bother yall with. ty for ur kind comments. btw darkmoon, i need ur shipping addy, ss every one else, i only had so many. there will b more next spring.

Thumbnail by werewolf1

Wolfie, most definately a talented man! Love the pics! Don't know what the plant is, maybe some type of daisy???
Linda Kay

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Wolfie, that Santa is incredible, you are a very talented artist, beautifully displayed also as it should be.

Your above pic looks like something I have in my yard, a type of coneflower. I’ll have to look for a pix later to compare. Problem is mine is 10’ tall.

Linda Kay, that foot looks real painful, I hope your feeling better and up and around soon.

I’m off now to see my little angel and his mom. Have a good rest of the day and evening everyone.

Okay, I have a brug question, finally, :)) One of my babies, Mon Amour etc. is the floppiest plant I have ever seen. It flops to the east, it flops to the west, etc. It is not due to wind, its protected. The other three brugs in this area stand up fine. Should I stake it and what is the best way? Just a regular stake and ties? It's growing fine, just this flopping habit.

Thumbnail by merpeg

Merpeg....sounds like a song...it flops to the east..it flops to the west...you do the hokie pokie...LOL

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Phyllis, your brug may go on to bloom inside if you keep it growing.. bright light, even direct sun and the warmth. There's always a chance of total leaf loss when changing environments. But it will leaf out again, once it's gotten used to the change.. and it may go on to produce buds and blooms. I would spray it with Neem oil before bringing in and watch for spider mites, they love the dry air in warm houses. It won't require as much water inside.. so be careful not to keep it too wet and cause root rot. I will leave mine out until temps at night are steady at 40 degrees or below- but still above freezing.. I'll remove the big lower to middle leaves, trim tops IF necessary, spray the rest with neem and if I'm lucky, I'll get to post bloom pics this winter. I hope I've helped.

Or you could just put it out behind the barn and forget about it till it's blooming some summer, like Wolfie did. :) Wolfie you have a pond, too!!! You are a man of many interests.. The leaves remind me of a weed I've been yanking out but they don't have that pretty yellow flower on them. It does remind me of coneflowers.. And Santa is great! Aw, that's all you're posting?

Donna is off to see that grandson again... sure hope she gets some grandma time in with him..

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Peg, that lil girl must be following the sun... The only time I ever staked a brug, the wind took a big ol limb off so, I just let them get blown over and hope for the best. But mine are in pots.. You could use panty hose pieces to tie it to the stake, not real tight, but then it could grow a bit and not get strangled. AmandaTaylor7 stakes her brugs in the ground, and I would want to too, if I had a Ms Floppy Mon Amour.

Hokie Pokie, Phyllis that is great. ROTF.

AuntB, it could be a sunworshipper. I just hope it does not break itself off doing all this bowing back and forth. So, staking it will be.

Thanks! Peg

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.