Vanda info wanted

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi folks, I'm new to the group, but not to orchids. I live in FL, zone 9b. Since May I have my first Vanda and am not sure what care it requires. It hangs in a plastic pot with no medium, is about 12" high and has 12 sets of leaves. I've kept it on my screened pool cage where it gets direct light ( through screen) from about 9am to 2 pm daily. It has grown lots of new roots since I've had it and it seems happy. What time of year do these usally bloom, and does it sound big enough to bloom yet??? ( am I anxious??)Bloom fertilizer for a plant this age???
(Have several dendrobiums just full of blooms:)
Thanks, Sue

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Dear Sue, congratulation on your Vanda, you live in the right climate for it! I do love orchids, I had many while living in Australia but down in Chile I can't get any plant, there is not any vendor and to import them the official are just %£"()^&$!!!!!!!!
Well stop about me , here some cultivation notes:

The Vanda Alliance, is a large group of plants, they're original from tropical part of Asia easily grown in warm climates, grown outside in light shade (a lath house). In climates where winters are cold, they are often summered outside, an grown inside during the winter in a sunny window, or year-round in a greenhouse.
LIGHT is a crucial factor in blooming some vandaceous plants.Depends on the type of leave There are three types of vandas: strap-leaf, semiterete and terete. The first type has broader, flat leaves, while terete types have round, pencil-shaped leaves.
TEMPERATURE for most vandas should be warm; a minimum winter night temperature of 55 degrees F is recommended. . Warmer temperatures mean faster growth, which must be balanced with higher humidity, air movement, and increased water and fertilizer. Days should be warm and humid for optimum plant growth.

WATER. They like lots of water when growing, but must dry quickly.
HUMIDITY of 80% is ideal.

FERTILIZING. A well-balanced (20-20-20) fertilizer applied full strength once a week is recommended when warm, or use 1/4 strength every watering.

Hope that will help you!

cristina.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

wow Christina.....Vanda 101 !!! Thanks so much.....
I'll go check out my leaf type and hit the fertilizer bottle:)
Sue

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Happy to help! Vandas are beautiful orchids, look after your plant and you will enjoy gorgeous , long lasting flowers . Enjoy!
cristina

Lebanon, MO

I have several in bloom now , they are in a south east window indoors , I water mine daily in the am with rain water until the roots turn green , and fert. once a week . yours sounds big enough but they have a mind of thier own . Enjoy your plant ,Gin

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

rufsue,

in the Philippines, Vanda's growing medium is dried coconut husk and coconut shell charcoal.

they take off the coconut husk in such a fashion, the husk is in one whole piece, after they take off the coconut. the coconut shell is burt to become charcoal - used either for cooking or assist to keep the orchid medium fresh and sweet so to speak.

the Vanda orchid is placed in the center of the coconut husk, place some coconut charcoal around the roots [being careful not to cut the root[. the husk wrapped around the the plant. watered regularly each day. during warm weather light misting is suggested. the vanda is then hanged under canopy of trees for duffled light effect. not direct exposure to the sun.

hope that help u some... ma vie rosé

Lebanon, MO

That is interesting about the coconut husk .Thanks for the information . Gin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.