So few butterflies

New Boston, NH

Last year my butterfly bushes were covered with all kinds this year hadly a butterfly to be found in New Boston.Not many bees either don't seem right.
Peter

I had and still have bees. Maybe you headed them my way :-)

South Hamilton, MA

Spring was late & cool in 2008. The bees were not active as early as a result. We noticed a low level of activity on the blueberry bushes. One bush near the house which was warmer had quite a few berries; others out in the old pasture had very few of them.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Had lots of bees here, Agastache plants were covered, mostly seeds now, waiting for the Goldfinches.

New Boston, NH

Yes,my Agastache had perhaps the most bees they do love that .I transplanted them to give them more room.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

I was recently accused of hiding a bee hive here - they have been very active on the sedum. my wife cousin over the border in NH claims to have zero.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I had more bees this year than I have ever seen before. Every type. Had many butterflies, moths, praying mantis too. No shortage here.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would say the bees here were normal... but a lot less butterflies this year than last

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I'm with Allison. Bees normal. My bronze fennel and butterfly weed were covered with caterpillars last year, but very few this year. It's kinda nice to see the flowers though, instead of them being BLor D for caterpillars.

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Guys I've had plenty on Long island, no changes over here!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I noticed a lot more butterflies here this year, no shortage of bees, either.

And they are still going aorund and aorund here on LI, near the butterfly bushes!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

For one, I have seen a drop in the butterfly population, especially the Monarchs, which I love.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

defintely a drop in butterflies and the large bumble bees.

South Hamilton, MA

Bumblebees good around here. Most common butterfly is Tiger Swallowtail & ther are still a few visable. A little white b-fly that looks like the spring cabbage white, second brood?

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I saw fewer butterflies. I collected about 30 Monarch eggs/caterpillars and about 25 of them made it into adulthood. The majority of them were males, I was surprised to see so many males.

Ok Guys I still say butterflies and other flying babies are all around my yard. I even spoke to DH today about this thread and as we were talking we were also watching these little tiny creaures fly all over the place. it must be where this house is I guess, on a canal and sun all over. Where I live, shade and shade, I do not see so much, but my summer place, ahhhhhhhhh so great, here are a few pictures, so enjoy to those who do not have them!

Thumbnail by Clemen

One more

Thumbnail by Clemen

one more, no need to get you bored, i just enjoyed a day today with all of them around me!

Thumbnail by Clemen
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

We've had plenty of bees and butterflies around here. The monarchs did not show up until the beginning of September, but have been around here for most of this month. I'm not seeing as many in the last few days. I was having frequent visits from the swallowtails on the butterfly bushes, and hawkmoths in the honeysuckle, when they were not being chased away by hummingbirds!

Thumbnail by tamberlin

Wondering tamberlin, is your place on a sunny spot?

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, all of my gardens are in mostly sunny sports. The butterfly bush in the front (pink) doesn't get as many butterflies as the dark purple one in the back yard. It's only sunny in the back for about half the day, but the bush is huge and leans out into the yard to get more sun.

My DH saw a hummingbird this evening at dusk, flying around the front window of the house, as if it wanted to come in!

See tamberlin, that is what I mean. I have buterflies and bees and all sorts of flying insects all over in my sunny gardens. The white buter fly bush gets the most butterflies though. The shady gardens get NOTHING!
And that hummingbird, wished you could have taken a pix!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Me too!

That's usually how my hummingbirds let me know they are back for the season. I'll see them flying around my bedroom window trying to get my attention.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I thought all the hummers were gone. I haven't seen one for weeks, despite putting fresh food out for them. Maybe this one is late?
I've had them buzz at my windows in the spring to let me know they are back too. They are pretty smart for such little birds!

Thumbnail by tamberlin

We still have hummers, too. I expect that they will be gone after the week end, though.

I love the picture tamberlin!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.