Replanting Gladiolas

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I have 2 clumps of Gladiolas that have been in that position for 3 yrs now. I leave them out in the winter and they have come back for 2 years. They have multiplied like crazy. I have a clump of Crocrosmia there also.

My question is...they are getting very crowded and the bulbs are now on top of the ground. The bulbs are very big. I wanted to wait until they had died back to replant them, but it is starting to get cold here. Night temps have been in the upper 40*s so far. Is it too late to replant or should I just dig them up and replant in the spring?

I have them planted on the east bank of my Koi pond. I usually just get a huge bag of pine shavings like horse people use to bed their stalls, and dump 1/2 bag on each clump and forget them. I think being near the water and the water doesn't freeze so it keeps the ground warmer may be why they come back.

Advice would be appreciated.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes, it would be...
I'm surprised no experts have come by. I'm wondering about digging and waiting to replant in the spring as well, which I'm leaning toward doing. Night temps have gone to the low forties now here.

Crozet, VA

Hello you two. I am wondering what to do with the dead/dying stems and stalks that are still in place? Wondering if they are to be cut down to ground level and disposed of in compost or what exactly is the best way to clean gardens after blooming if I don't plan to take them up and overwinter?

I hope that someone comes along and answers these questions for us. Where are you CountryGardens?

Ruby

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I leave the stalks until they are dead dead. I went ahead and dug them and replanted what I wanted to keep. There were huge bunches of them that I gave away. I will take a chance with them. I think since they have come back for 3 years they should be fine.

Did I say that a few years I got the big pine shavings bales like horse people use to bed stalls and broke them in two and dumped 1/2 on each bunch. I also do that for my green elephant ears that I don't dig.

4paws- I sure wouldn't dig them in your zone. We get down to 0*F or lower here in the winter.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

No, I wouldn't dig them here for the winter, only for moving them...wondering to do it now then replant in the spring (cause I'm not sure where I want them). I'll likely going to dig and give them away...ruby, you're in line for those soon.

Crozet, VA

Okay Dylan, thanks. My stalks are not dead, dead but still have lots of green on them. I am not sure how much longer I will be able to look at them before I start yanking. I guess I could remind myself of all the other projects that need attention every time that I am tempted to mess with Glads.

Paws, I am looking forward to having a Glad or two to remind me of you whenever I see it.

Today I have spent some time bringing in second batch of houseplants. Got a few or the largest ones in today but now need to do some rearranging of things inside so more plants can come in tomorrow. It is truly a never ending job when you have too many indoor and too many outdoor plants. ha-ha I love each and every one of them though.

Ruby

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Just tell yourself how all these plants are making your indoor air cleaner. Sounds good anyway

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Don't yank - cut.
I dug some of those corms - they are huge - one was three glued together, but they all have much green left on them, so I think I'll let them go a while longer to get good and fat.

Crozet, VA

Good point Dylan. ha-ha It is true. The larger ones are all going in the Master Bedroom. Should be a really healthy place in there.

I know paws. I used the term "chop" and knew that it didn't sound correct. I will treat gingerly, I promise.

Ruby

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

oh, I think they can take handling, but I discovered with I yanked that some of the new corm came up and that wasn't good. I'm hardly dainty...probably partly why I like big, tough, gorgeous flowers like glads.

Crozet, VA

My Calla Lilies need my attention also. The didn't do much in terms of blooming this year. I think that they are planted too thick and need thinning. Hopefully that will help matters.

Ruby

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I hate looking at the dead stalks also, so when they die I pull them off one by one.

Crozet, VA

Sorry to be such a dunce Dylan, but do you wait until they have turned all the way brown, or will it hurt anything if there is still green on the stalks?

Maybe, I will continue coming here and asking questions and then never act on it and it will be the proper time by then. ha-ha

Ruby

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm sure that has been answered somewhere in the forum, but as long as there is green, I guess they are still making food for the corm for next year. If it has been at least 6 weeks since they stopped blooming, it's probably ok to cut them-here are some links to threads I found helpful. :-)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/880815/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/791199/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/759531/

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I left all the green on mine. I don't know if that is right or wrong but that's what I did. I figured they still needed to feed that bulb. Of course they are dying back now, because I moved them or it's getting cooler so the time is right anyway.

Crozet, VA

Thank you so much for the links 4paws. I didn't have the time this morning to ready the last one, but plan to later on. I did go through the bed the other day and snipped off the brown parts of the stalk. Looks like there is still some feeding to do fo the corms, so I will wait a while longer yet.

Thanks for your input Dylan.

Ruby

Colville, WA

In the North it is usually necessary to dig the corms in the fall and replant in the spring. I have overwintered but it is only practical on a small scale where mulching as many of you have said works. What is important is to redig every couple of years as they multiply and become crowded just like hardy bulbs and tulips do hence the decreasing size of bloom stalk.

My suggestion is to dig and separate out the midsized corms (bulbs) and replant in a somewhat different location to prevent disease and soilborne insect infestation. The huge old corms should probably be destroyed as after a few years they lose vigor and are more prone to disease.

Digging as someone else pointed out can occur a month toe 6 weeks after bloom. You do not have to wait for the leaves to die down. also destroy all the old foliage as it harbors disease and insects.

Late but hope it helps. Check out www.gladworld.org for more gladiolus information

LOWELL

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, that is pretty much what I did. I pull all the old foliage every year before I apply mulch, I'm glad that is what is recommended. Thanks for the link

Crozet, VA

Thanks Columbia. I saved the website to my favorites to read another time when not so rushed as I am now.

I will return if I have more questions.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.