Dutch iris seeds

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

hi - i have some dutch iris flowering at the moment, they were in a summer bulb collection and are really brightening up the garden! they're white and blue (different ones). What i want to know is how to save the seed. what do i look for, will there be pods or something? i've never saved seed from these before so any suggestions would be great!

Also ixia and oxalis (iron cross), how do these set seed?

Thanks in advance!

lil

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

If I am not mistaken I thinkk they seed like lilies and gladioli. At the top where the flower blooms there is a pod that will swell. But you may be better off waiting and transplanting the rhizomes. I dont know how viable the seeds are. But it does seem like they take a while to bloom from seed. My irises double each year when they are happy...good drainage and sunshine! Maybe someone else will know more. I have heaard of people trading seeds from irises, but I have never actualy grown them from seed...there were always more than enough rhizomes to share!

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

yeah they are bulbs as far as i know on dutch irises, i had a look at one faded flower and got a shock as there was an earwig inside, ewww. i'll wait a little longer and see if any pods develop (if the earwigs don't eat them that is!).

lil

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.