House bug - should I worry?

Olympia, WA

I have this feeling like I SHOULD know this fellow's name - nearly as well as my own - but old age is taking its toll on me. I have been finding these in the kitchen/sink area. Any help w/ identification would be greatly appreciated. Location: Pacific Northwest
Edited to provide solution:
I have found the answer myself -

Root weevil.
This is an adult root weevil in the genus Otiorhynchus. They are flightless and usually nocturnal. Their wanderings often take them indoors by accident. Not a health threat, but the larvae can sometimes do damage to the roots of plants like strawberries. (this information came from BugGuide.net after I posted the photo there)

AND strawberry root weevils are really nasty creatures on rhodies - they are the things that notch the leaves!!!!! (my note)
--

This message was edited Sep 15, 2008 8:59 PM

Thumbnail by wannadanc
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

we have one here in florida, Artipus floridanus (little leaf-notcher weevil) which looks very similar to yours. i've been battling them for over a year now and finally (i think) have them under some kind of control but they will always be here. ~sigh~ they kill plants, especially roses. double ~sigh~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.