ID Please?

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

here's another that has long since lost its ID card. I cannot figure out what it is. It has a tall yellow flower
I think it must need more light than it gets because it is so sparse (perhaps a good meal would do some good too)

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Ligularia?

Birdie, did you know you are posting in the WILDLIFE forum? :D. Maybe you are looking for Wild FLOWER? Tee hee!

Well this is actually "Wildlife Gardening". But since not a berrying anything it probably is better suited to some other forum. I just knew that any gardening forum might get me an ID. Wish I could find one that was strictly for ID questions.
I am stumbling my way around unfamiliar rooms trying to learn more of DG....and I guess I am doing a lousy job of tit. Very sorry. I hope no one gets too upset with me for little mistakes.
Your name is right, and it did get I'd! I remember Ligularia as being 1 that I planted in front. Now if I could get the other 3 things that I have pics of Id's I 'd be set (got some of the permanent plant labels in the mail).
I haven't posted them because I figured some people were getting tired of my ID?'s.
Thanks a lot.

Sheri

Sheri, No problem. I just wondered because I always forget where I'm at!! Later on I saw the heart tree ID so I understood where you were coming from with that.

You might have better luck here: at the Plant and Tree Identification Forum:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/

Or maybe at a regional Forum like Georgia http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/region_ga/all/ or mid-atlantic http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/region_mida/all/

It's some sort of Ligularia dentata that is sold as a non-native ornamental I believe and it has no wildlife value.

The plant you asked for an ID on here-
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/903195/
Does appear to be some variety of Epimedium, maybe an Epimedium x versicolor cultivar? If that's what you in fact have, it's another non-native ornamental that has little if even any wildlife value.

The plant you asked for an ID on here-
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/901665/
Is definitely Euonymus americanus per stelco's ID. This plant has substantial wildlife value particularly to migrating birds. You asked about the seeds and how to start them-cold moist stratification or you could simply winter sow them. This plant might root pretty easily from cuttings if you take them right now.

From this thread you asked about a plant ID with no photo-
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/886128/
That's hard but your persistence may have paid off. If you do have Viburnum dentatum, that's another plant with substantial wildlife value. Good for you. Great wildlife plant for where you garden.

I wouldn't get all nervous about not having posted your ID requests in the proper forum. It's not a big deal and pretty much everyone starts threads where they feel they belong. There's something like over 200 boards here now and it's hard starting threads in the perfect area. There's always a learning curve to a forum anyway. The best place to figure out what you've got would be the Plant and Tree Identification Forum because lots of people hang out there looking to test their identification skills. Over here in this area, you will most likely find people who are better suited to identify North American indigenous wildlife plants than ornamentals.

Wow, that's a MUCH better response than my "I think" one.

What was wrong with your "I think" reply?
I "think" you nailed the genus on the head!

And since I have you trapped in this thread Mrs_Ed... ;) ... how come you didn't go to the Upper Midwest Round Up near Madison? You were a person I would have liked to have met! You would have had a blast and you would have gone home with sweet memories and a trunkful of goodies looking forward to coming again next year.

Well I couldn't make it because it was my Mom's 70th birthday so we were celebrating at her home. I DID give her the opportunity to go to the RU instead! But we went to Iowa and missed you because you were sight seeing. LOL.

If it is in Madison next year too, then I'll probably go if I can. I have to snag more raspberries from Maxine. I'm not going to trek all the way across Iowa next year though.

Hmmm, a little bit of duct tape could have helped out in a situation such as what you described. For Mom's 71st birthday next year, duct tape her to the hood of your car like a hood ornament if she doesn't accept our kind offer to join us. Then you two can meet us where ever we end up. We like it when people bring moms. We'll take them anyway we can get them. Duct tape... an indispensable tool not just for men anymore.

That scenic tour route we took to Iowa wasn't my fault. That was 100% Laura's fault. Blame her for laughing herself so silly she missed a few exits here there and everywhere. Bernie tried to get us back on track to no avail. We did finally get there after doing the female thang of stopping at a boatload of gas stations to get pointed in the right direction BUT you had left early. Party pooper!

Ahhh, Maxie is always good for treats. She's always got good stuff! Glad she's got something to entice you to git your buns up to WI. Guess what the centerpiece on my counter tops is these days? Hint- Archie made it and I'm gearing up to use it for some bulbs I ordered.

I am going to the Iowa RU next year. I'm staying with Arlene so I know I'll get fed well. When I grow up I want to be able to cook as well as she does.

I heart Maxine. Ask her about her new apple tree that I brought to the roundup. Archie said "no" but she got her friend to take it home for her with a truck. It was an 11 foot tree in the pot! I won't try THAT again!

Oh, that's quite the drive to Arlene's. Stop by my house on the way out and I'll give you a care package for the trip! I'll even give you a tour of the garden after I pick up dog poopies!

Sheri, sorry we've hijacked your thread. LOL.

Hey...not "my"thread,,,I got my Id and am glad that a bonus occured in that you guys could have your chat.
Aren't we just one big happy flora and fauna lovin family anyway?
;-) Sheri ;-)

Ummm Sheri, maybe you will drive on up and join us someday soon for a RoundUp??? You're welcome to stay at my house to save on hotels and although I don't cook as well as Arlene, your belly won't have rumblies! Heck, don't worry if you can't make the RoundUp, just drive on up and we'll create a party for you and the locals we'll send you home with a carful of goodies. Bring duct tape just in case! You never know if you'll need to duct tape a spouse to the roof to keep all the plants safe inside the car for the ride home.

Marie took the tree home for her. I'm glad she got it. No way would it have fit in their car and Archie would have had a fit.

Hey! I'll come with or without being sent on to Iowa with a care package. And doggie do do... no problem leaving it be. I'm used to stepping around cow pies. I'll probably be driving with Laura again to next year's IA RU. Will you hop in and join us for the rest of the trip to Iowa? Worse case scenario if she drives is that we get lost. If I drove, I can assure you we'd all end up at Arlene's house in body bags.

Equilibrium--Oh my, what a fine offer! I don't know the distance from Winston-Salem, NC, to wherever you are in the IL & MI area, but it would definitely be a few hours.( & probably a few more than I could tolerate without severe pain)
With high gas prices and my fibromyalgia I doubt it that amount of travel is feasible in my near future. I get cramps from a 90 minute drive to the nearest VA Hospital. ;-( Yet another way this horrible disease limits me. Sometimes I can barely walk around my house & into my yard..But I am blessed in many other ways.

For those who chose --- Capital letters, like yelling really weren't necessary. I read and understand just fine. And since my front garden was planted over 10 years ago, until the ID's I didn't remember that the given plants were ornamentals, as my focus was on wildlife friendly plants, and in fact , My yard is a recognized and posted Wildlife Habitat now. regarding the "offending plants" (ornamentals)... since i did get the ID & so now I do know!-----Thank you to those that helped solve my mystery.)

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hello Equil ,

Talking about people not going to RU's etc . Seems to me that there was someone in Arizona twice in the last year and at one point in thier journey was less than 30 miles from my place and did not stop to say hello . Hmmmmm ?

Ha. Busted EQ~

Okay, I'm going to clean the garage. wish me luck.

Fibromyalgia sucks BirdieBlue. I've heard that's one nasty disease to deal with but... if you hang around here and share more of your shining personality, you could easily travel from DGer's house to DGer's house to make your way to my house which is about 12 hours away I think and then reverse the stops on the way back. Sort of like how me and Laura will break up our drive to Iowa next summer when we plop ourselves down for a break at Mrs_Ed's house. I really don't drive much other than locally and during daylight hours so I'm pretty much dependent on who ever can get me. We must arrive at the other end in one piece to make it worth the trip and that wouldn't happen with me at the wheel. You'll have to trust me on this one. I drive like crap and people make signs of the cross when they even look at my car.

And about those "offensive" ornamentals... let the wildlife gardeners who don't have any non-native ornamentals throw the first stone. Ha, I guess there will be no stone throwing going on over here in wildlife gardening any time soon. If you come to my house Sheri, you would be walking up a sidewalk lined by hundreds and hundreds of iris that have absolutely no wildlife value what so ever and take up space that could certainly be better used for locally native species that do have wildlife value. I also have a MIL who likes to buy hostas for me so I have an entire area of hostas (oh horrors, hostas have no wildlife value either). Seriously, I think everyone has non-native ornamentals. I know very few gardeners who exclusively plant locally native species but they are out there. I don't think I know a wildlife gardener who knowingly plants a species that is a noxious weed or that is invasive though so I guess if you're planting kudzu we can cyber stone you over here in the wildlife gardening board ;) and shout at you in caps or bold text ;) and you can feel free to do the same to us if we plant one of the truly offensive types of plants.

If I'm getting busted and going down, I'm taking lonediver with me! I tried to get together with him and his wife for lunch and to go to the Botanical Gardens when we were in Phoenix but HE had some sort of a scheduling problem and HE wasn't going to be around on either of the days we had for knocking around which sort of sucked. Then when he invited US to come and visit his house, WE had the scheduling problem in that we needed to to be up in Flagstaff which would have been way too far away to get there and back. Let me tell you I was dying to see his burrowing owl babies and was salivating at the mere prospect of seeing his habitat extravaganza in person. Flagstaff is nice and all but owl babies would have been much better. The second trip was with the kids and that one I am BUSTED on. It was a logistical nightmare with them because each one had a list of places to go and things to see that was a mile long and we were way down south toward Mexico most of that trip and we also drove east into southern NM. The logistics of trying to please them was at our personal expense so I got stiffed out of a chance to see owl babies yet again which really makes me foam at the mouth. We are going back again two years from now for another week in the Sonoran Desert and we're planning on driving up through the state to get back to the Canyon de Chelly area so maybe if we start real early matching up dates to when we'll be driving through, I'll finally get to see his owl babies as well as the chance to meet HIM and the little woman in the flesh which I'd love very much to do!

Wow, you do get around. That would be cool to see those owls!

Yup, we get around. Would have never had any idea how beautiful the US was if it hadn't been for 9/11 when we conscientiously chose to cancel our trip to Egypt. We no longer wanted to travel overseas with our kids until they were much older after that happened. Up until then, we vacationed outside of the US almost all the time and had only done the classic Disneyworld, San Francisco Zoo, Wisconsin Dells, Smithsonian, Mall of America, etc. You know, the tourist trap deals. The US is awesome and so beautiful and so diverse! We can compete with any travel destination in the world!

Your wish, is my command Mrs_Ed!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803956/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/806679/

In case you were wondering how I knew exactly where those threads were, I show them to people who come over to my house because they are so incredibly impressive. Now perhaps you will understand why I was so incredibly bummed that our timing just didn't work out with lonediver and Mrs. lonediver.

Ha. thanks for the bump! I actually know about this project, I asked him to post to the bird forum once. I meant to say that it would be neat for you to see them in person!

I guess missing them is just another reason for you to go south again!

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

In two more years the place should be a little more mature , some more of the projects hopefully should be completed .

The wife ocassionally remarks that she has a lot of honey-do's for me to do . She seems to have this wierd idea that that the house is more important than the wildlife garden .

When you were traveling from Phoenix going south toward Tucson on I-10 you were'nt much more than 25 or so miles from my place Equil . If you had turned off at Casa Grande and gone through it . When you do mqake it out , you should plan on at least a half day , likely more .

Bring some gloves , there is no end to the work around here . By that time should be about right to build the third owl habitat .

Quoting:
She seems to have this wierd idea that that the house is more important than the wildlife garden
Why where ever would someone married to you come up with that oddball notion?

Yes, I know how close I was to you which is what was killing me when the timing didn't quite work out. How depressing.

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I do manage to continue ( at least for a little while longer ) to further my ambitions because when we moved here it was rather barren/stark as can be seen at this thread ;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/844911/

She said she wanted to see the place green rather than brown so now as I continue I get to throw back at her that I am just following her first honey-do and that I am not finished with that command yet ( How long do you suppose I can still get away with that ? ) To give you some idea of the pace that I have undertaken this , here is another thread ;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/836134/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/860016/

Some of the results from the years ;

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/863600/

Think it will be a little different in 2 years when you keep your now PROMISED date ?

P.S .

Where are there some threads, links , pics , etc to your place ?

This message was edited Sep 21, 2008 10:33 AM

Your property has gone through a major transformation. Really glad you didn't even try to go with turf. I looked at some of the properties out your way with lawns and sort of shook my head in disbelief.

Photos of my property? Laced throughout a couple thousand threads here. Couldn't point you to any one thread though where a whole bunch are together all nice and neat.

Don't know where we're going this coming spring. Would really like to get down to the Shawnee Natl Forest. Really want to spend some time in that area because of all the critters. We had planned on going this spring and we were headed in that direction but with all the flooding in the area, we decided against it. Next summer we're going to be in New Mexico for 14 days and then we're going up north to the Ute Reservation in CO for a few days. After that, we'll come home for a break but I'm pretty sure we're going back out east again early to mid August. Undecided as to exactly where we're going out east other than that we're definitely going that direction but probably to Maine where we'll get a rental car and drive up into New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. It's the year after that we're coming back out your way. We specifically want to get to the Sonoran Desert but the Canyon de Chelly area might get swapped out for the Grand Canyon. We'll be going in spring and we're going over spring break and taking kids out of school for an additional week. If all goes well, we'll be there. And by saying if all goes well, I mean no broken legs or anything because we need to cover a lot of ground in the Sonoran Desert and it's not exactly hospitable to people on crutches or in a wheel chair. We had to change plans one year when one of the kids ended up needing laparoscopic knee surgery for an injury.

i want to be adopted by you!

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

The wife made some noise about putting a small area in some kind of lawn but they take WAY too much water and maintence . I said if she REALLY wanted it , I would get it in but she would be responsible for mowing , maintaining it . Funny thing , she never asked for it again . If it ever did come to that my choice would have been one of the more drought tolerant strains of buffalo grass . Bermuda - yuck

I do not know if you noticed in your travels here , Tucson is much more water wise than Phoenix . Phoenix is a water glutton , lawns , green belts everywhere . There have been studies done that illustrate that the per capita consumption of water is vastly different between these two metro areas . In the papers I sometimes notice it seems that there are more land subsidence issues in the phoenix metro area . Sometime in the last month of a crack appearing in the soil in a close proximity to the Central Arizona project canal in the Scottsdale area . Now that would/will be a nightmare if the canal ruptured due to land subsidence . I am sure that was not planned for when it was built .

I am glad I live in the boonies ! Unfortunately development will likely cacth up with me before I die , D_ _ _ _ it all ! Did not move out far enough .

I see where you have 1000's of plant picture entries , somewhere you certainly have posted multiple pics of your property rather than individual plants . Something that shows some more panoramas of it . Come on Equil , give .

Knowing your involvement in invasive issues , I am surprised that you have not chirped in on my Quagga mussel thread .

If you want to see baby owls here , mid to late May is when to expect them here . So if your coming in approx. two years you are down to about 20 months for our date .

Counting down !

This message was edited Sep 22, 2008 8:57 AM

Well Mrs_Ed, come with us. The front seat of the rental car is open to an adult. I'd be glad to have the company, believe me... I'd be ecstatic having an intelligent adult life form with me. One thing though, I get lost a lot and we frequently end up on routes that are more scenic than what we had planned... meaning I get lost a lot. The other deal is I won't drive at night so we stop long before we lose light. We're flying out to New Mexico in July if you really want to go with us! New Mexico is one our favorite states. TN is my favorite.

Quoting:
I said if she REALLY wanted it , I would get it in but she would be responsible for mowing , maintaining it . Funny thing , she never asked for it again
Funny thing, I use a similar strategy on the kids and they never seem to ask again either. I don't know if it's me telling them they can do whatever they want with their own money (meaning I won't pay) or if maintaining something gets them. Regardless, they don't ask again when it's going to bite into their wallets or their time.

Yup, I caught all the ding dongs out there worshiping their sod. You should have seen the lawns around the Biltmore. The houses around there almost all had lawns. The other thing I find bizarre is all the golf courses in AZ. Strange, very strange considering the water situation in some areas. If I lived in your area, I'd go the route you're going. I can think of a lot better things to do with money rather than paying for water and besides which, there are so many exciting native plants so well adapted to that area that I don't understand why more people don't use them.

Yes, I have a couple thousand PlantFiles photos with literally thousands more backed up to load into the PlantFiles. I also have hundreds of photos of my property and hundreds from vacations and sometimes I make time to add those if I'm in a thread where adding them is appropriate. Finding the time to do it is another issue and that usually ends up on a back burner until the middle of winter.

I'm not so much an invasive species person but more so a public health person. I also don't have time to be online at DG as much as I did in the past so I miss 99% of what's posted these days. I have never been so busy in my entire life as when I quit working a few years ago. Add to that we take off almost the entire summer flitting around and that we go up north a lot and we're really not home a lot. Husband is here because he still works full time but me and the kids aren't. Sometimes he'll fly out and join us for a long weekend which is nice for me- adult conversation. We do want to stay on the go for at least the next few years. Kids are at an age where they like being with us and as time goes on, they will naturally gravitate toward peers and then the last one will be in college which truly will only leave us summer to take off. Once they're all in different states going to school, we're stiffed. They all have different spring breaks. That's going to be a logistical nightmare. What ever happened to Easter vacation where every school across the US seemed to be synchronized? Sure did make it a lot easier on parents when we were allowed to use the word Easter and when everyone had off the same week or whatever they used to get.

Uh oh, Easter falls on April 4th for 2010. It falls on April 24 for 2011. Our schools still call it Easter and they all get off the Thursday before. If we went about 2.5 years from now instead of a year and a half from now, we might end up with better timing. We're going to have 17 days total out there if we leave on a Wednesday night blowing off the half day of school they generally have the following Thursday and come back on a Sunday afternoon. Think if we switched spring vacations to come out there that we'd have any chance of seeing owl babies in early May? I really don't want to change because a girlfriend of mine is supposed to fly out to meet up with us and she's bringing her two kids. When she says she's going to do something, she does it barring broken legs and such. In other words, if I swap years now... I've got to make sure she can still go. What is the earliest you have ever seen owl babies emerge?

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Something you have forgotten or missed in my threads . My handle of lonediver is ;

1. signifigant due to my occupation , I am a self employed diver as in scuba type diver (yes , I do this in Arizona ) all those golf courses you talk about and noted are a large base of my customers including the Biltmore . Water issues/concerns are/is something due to my work I get very involved in . Those ponds/lakes on those golf courses are not only simply water hazards here , they do double duty as thier water reservoirs . The average 18 hole golf course here will use around 1,000,000 gallons of water DAILY in warmer parts of the year ( which is 3/4 of the year ) more than that doing grass overseeding time which starts now for winter grass . They will close the golf courses for two to three weeks due to they have to water day long to get the new grass in .

It is nuts , however that is what they do here , I found a niche occupation in that these managers on occassions have problems where they need a good underwater service person and that is what I do . I am an underwater janitor/maintence person that helps to keep the water going to thier precious grasses .

I despair at it but at the same time someone has got to do what I do and I happen to be good at it .

It is wierd work I will tell you that , not for everyone . It requires one at times to be either brave or crazy . Jury is still out as to which of those adjectives I fit .

I have only had the owls here on my property for two years , chicks emerging about mid may both years . The reading i have done of them in Arizona this would be typical/expected . If it were a extremely mild winter maybe earlier .

Back to the quagga mussel , I have read of it passively for some years . I fear that it will be a MAJOR eco altering invasive eventually possibly getting into small ponds , creeks .I understand you have such on your property . Take some time to google it for some interesting reading . They just recently in the last two years made it to the southwest and water managers are ALARMED .

Now Equil , I want equal ! give some links to pics of your shangra - la .

Are these Burrowing Owls the kind that were in some kids type move a couple of years ago? Unfortunately I don't remember the movie., just the plot. Some roadside restaurant chain wanted to develop on some property and some kids discover the burrowing owls and their chicks.
My limited knowledge is songbirds with a few other types thrown in. I had no idea that there even was such a thing till that movie. They were sooo cute! Now I hear of them again. Do you have any pics of Burrowing owls and / or chicks along with what their natural burrow entrance holes look like. I am fascinated.!!

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Loads of pics and videos here Birdie ;

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wildwatch/owlcam/b_owl.html

Lets take a poll as to which is everybodys favorite video . They are numbered 1 through 9 .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.