Neighborhood assoc rules

Middleton, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm frustrated that our small rural town doesn't have a lot of rules but relies on neighborhood associations to self regulate. I want the out lots and vacant lots mowed before they go to seed. Also of they were kept mowed there would be less vegation for the tent caterpillars or Japanese beetles. I understand that I'm now living in a more rural area, but my lawn service pretty much said that there was only so much they could do.

Tonight we had a neighborhood assoc. meeting and everyone was asked about issues. I was frustrated that the top issues were play dates, neighborhood garage sales, and neighborhood parties. Does anyone have neighborhood assoc. covenants that you would be willing to share with me?

I realize not everyone is a garden-nut, but I'm one of those crazies who can't drive past a greenhouse without checking on a sale or a new cultivar. Neighbors who put their Jap beetle bags next to my Canadien rose bushes (lot line) cause way too many gin-and-tonics.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Unfortunately, many people out there just aren't as crazy about gardening as we all are, so that means other things are going to be higher on their priority list. I don't have a homeowner's association here which is good in some ways but also means there are some people on the street who really don't maintain their yards adequately. If I were you, I'd probably take the angle of the impact on everyone's property values from the lots that aren't maintained--even if people don't care about gardens, they do care about how much their house is worth and a house in a neighborhood where all the lots are taken care of is going to be worth more. But the down side of getting people to care how the other yards look is that you could end up like many people where the HOA has all sorts of rules about what sort of fences you can have, what you're allowed to grow in your front yard, etc. So be careful what you ask for!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.