Datura help needed

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

I tried posting on the datura thread, but am not getting much help so I'll try you guys. I'm having a problem getting seed pods to form on my double daturas. I thought the blooms were too tight to let the bees in. Can I remove part of the blossom? I have no problem getting seeds off the singles and know they will be all ove the yard by next year. (I thought I selectivly keep them cut off, but gave up in July. I don't care. I love them and nothing will eat them so at least I have something in my yard). I would really like to get more seeds off the doubles though, if I can figure out how.

Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

Hello,

I sent a dmail before so I hope you got it. I do grow some Datura. but ony on my deck because I'm in Michigan. Anyway, I read a recent letter in Garden Gate magazine , which may n=be of help to you>

Letter: My Datura won't bloom. What can I do? Answer: Even happy Datura neeed some rest A few hours of morning sun is not enough for this plant. Try putting them in full sun--the more, the better. Also, cut back on water, an overwatered Datura won't flower. Wait until the soil surface is dry and the plant just starts to wilt before you water, then do it deeply. And feed your plant with a water soluable high potassium fertilizer such as 12-4-18 once a month during the groing season to encouragge blooming. Finally, in late summer to fall, cut back a third to half of the old growth. Datura bloom on new wood, and pruning will stimulate one to put out new growth and flowers. I hope this helps you, if not go to the dabs.com site for further info.

I have a Clivia miniata, which I keep on the deck during summer. This summer it adopted Datura and a small bird (possibly a wren). They are all living happily together and I have no idea how the Datura got in the pot!

Good luck,

Carol

Good heavens, go ahead and plant your datura outside. I am in zone 4 and mine bloom all summer. They also reseed and frequently come back from the roots. SOme of my daturas are five feet tall. I only have to cut back because they get too big and infringe on other plants. They do much better in the ground than in pots. The problem is NOT lack of blooms. They are covered in blooms. The problem is lack of seed pods on my doubles. So many people want seeds from them that I need more pods to keep everybody happy. As it is There are enough pods to ensure that I have seed, but I like to share. The singles will produce dozens of pods per plant.

Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

Sorry, I didn't read your message thoroughly. I thought our zone was too cold for Datura to be out year round; I never thought about them reseeeding. Thanks for the help! I wish I could help you more, but I just don't have enough experience. Have you tried the Datura and Brug Society? They will ask you to join, but you don't have to. They will answer questions for you. Give them a try at www.dabs.com

Good Luck!

Thanks!

I don't think that was the right link.

Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

Sorry, I spelled it wrong! The right site is www.abads.net
I hopw that's right. Good Luck!

Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.