Black spots on Agave

Worcester, MA

I think this may be a fungal infection, one spot is getting slightly soft. Three leaves each have a spot. Whatever it is can you please help me and tell me how to treat it? Thanks. i love this plant.

Thumbnail by maureen1952
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

is it in ground or pot? if potted, clay or plastic? i think it may be over-watering or the wrong kind of potting soil, (too soggy, not enough sand).

if it's in the ground, does it get enough sun?

Worcester, MA

It is in a pot - clay. Gets alotof sun. It has rained alot here but I've tried to keep up with covering the C&S. Can you suggest what I do to remeady the prolbem if you do think it's fungus? i took it out of the pot and there are more black spots under the lowest leaves.
Thanks.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i would post on the cactus and succulents forum. they have some mighty good people over there that can help you better than i can.

Worcester, MA

I did but haven't gotten much info so I put it here.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

well, if it were mine, i would cut off the soft leaves and the ones with obvious 'rot'. re-pot with a gritty mix and let it rest, no water for now. they can live a long time with no moisture and i think maybe this one has had enough (at least for now). whatever the size of the rootball, just go up another pot size than what you could squeeze it into. does that make sense? in other words, don't give it a big pot with lots of room. the roots will just rot in wet soil if there aren't enough roots to soak it all up. i hope that helps.

Worcester, MA

Yes, that makes sense. don't have soft leaves yest and am wondering if I can put some fungiside dust on the spots?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

just be careful not to burn the plant. if you treat it, keep it out of the sun for a few days.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.