2008 New Echinacea Pink Parasol

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

New 2008 Coneflower Grown From Seed. Planted Seeds April 2008. Photo Taken Sept 2008 In Plantation, FL (Ft Lauderdale Area)

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Here's Another Photo Of Relatively New Variety Called Echinacea Green Jewel

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And One More Picture Of Echinacea Sundown Taken Today. The blooms have been getting more red in color as the plant matures.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I like your Pink Parasol...very pretty! Where did you get your seeds from?

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

These are all very pretty. Green Jewel is an interesting one, I think that one may be on a list for next year.

Thanks nanny. Coneflower "Pink Parasol" is a 2008 new exclusive release from Thompson & Morgan. They used a photo of it on the cover of their 2008 Summer Catalog. I especially like the darker color ring near the center of the petals and the blooms are quite large in size.

Ngam, I do recommend Coneflower "Green Jewel". The blooms on this variety are also large in size and the petals remain upright and stay green after it blooms. Coneflower "Green Envy" has some green in it but also some raspberry/pink coloring. I like both of them, but especially like "Green Jewel" because the flower petals stay upright.

I attached a photo of Coneflower "After Midnight" from the front yard also. It's hard to explain but it generally has great form in its blooms.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I successfully wintersowed Pink Parasol this past year. It hasn't bloomed yet...I didn't expect that it would...but has grown nicely. Thanks for posting the picture so I can see what to expect next year:-)

You're welcome tggfisk. The bloom size is quite large and the growth habit is fast.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Really nice to hear:-) Great pictures, all of them btw.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i have green jewel, it goes well with tikki torch

Here's a new photo of one I don't see too many online retailers offering. Its Echinacea "Green Eyes". It always has nice upright blooms.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Do the new colors attract butterflies as well as the purple? Also, does anyone know if it has the health properties attributed to the standard echinacea?

Yes Kathy, the new hybrids attract butterflies just as well as the standard Purple Coneflower. I'm not an expert but the health properties/characteristics seem to be similar although the blooming frequency does vary from hybrid to hybrid. Here's a few new photos taken Thurs Nov 13, 2008 starting with Echinacea "Summer Sky".

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And this is Echinacea "Harvest Moon".

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And here are a couple of pictures of butterflies that like to hang around here in South Florida...especially in the morning. This is a "White Peacock Butterfly".

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And lastly is "Zebra Longwing Butterfly" (the official butterfly of The State Of Florida).

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Lovely butterfly pics to see on a rainy am here:-) We don't have those to my knowlege, so very nice to see them.
Bev

Asheville, NC(Zone 7a)

I love all your pictures! I'm very interested in finding a coneflower that is a definite pink on the (darker side if possible) to match a Heritage rose which is considered a light pink. I've looked in the catalogs but it's so dificult to trust colors all the time. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I would recommend Echinacea "Fatal Attraction" since it is a deeper shade of pink than most of the other pinks. I have "Fatal Attraction" and its definitely a darker pink.

Jon

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I agree 'Fatal Attraction' is a nice clear deep pink. It also has nice dark stems. Another In my garden that is a nice darker pink is 'Ruby Giant'. Good luck with your selection.
A couple of links for you to check out.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/126231/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/79568/

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I don't like the Green Jewel plant. Merlot is pretty. Do you have that one?

No, I don't have Merlot. I have about a dozen different Echinacea varieties and my favorite one is "Green Eyes". My second favorite is "Fatal Attraction".

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I just picked up some pink parasol seeds today. I'm going to sow them over the weekend.

They're a good one pennefeather. I do recall they were fast growers from seed and the blooms are pretty large.

Jon

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Everyone posted lovely pics...and amore...beautiful butterflies too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.