Fibromyalia & Gardening #3

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Having Fibromyalia, Post Polio, MS, Arthritis, etc. creates challanges for us. We live with pain and fatigue that limits and controls what we can do most of the time. So we have to find ways to do the usual tasks that will work for each of us. When we think of something we usually share it and often it helps someone else too. That is what makes us family.

Yes, we often get off topic, but that is ok because we are all in the same boat most of the time. We nead a place we can rant and rave and be understood because others on here feel the same way for the same reasons much of the time.

The depression thread is on the Healthy Living forum and is quite well populated. I hope you find the help you need there. Please keep coming back here tho for other issues in your life.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I planted , mulched, dug, pulled grass and weeds and mulched some more yesterday.
Man am I stiff and sore as whatever. Hamstrings are so tight from bending over at my hips ( knees dont work) to pull.
But.......I did it!! yesterday
Today, I missed church but will catch the web recording in the morning. Am watching the final game and commerative celebrationof Yankee Stadium (my team!!) tonite. I saw a lot of great games there when I was a kid.
I am debating on whether or not I am OK without antidepressants.....When I am able to be active and involved in outside activities And studying the Word, that I do fine.....but the more I give into this disease + all my aches and pains here and there, the worse off I get. Increased pain , decreased activity tolerance, sad blue mood, decreased attendance and participation in group activities.... Man it is a drag!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I hear you, BB. When I be outside working in the yarden or just watching my chickens and pigeons I feel better. I'm thankful I no longer have to take antidepressants but do admit to some down days. I really understand about overdoing it one day and paying for it the next. I do that entirely too often.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, my mom is back at nursing home but has been having lots of problems. Her glucose levels are staying in upper three hundreds (389) today while I was there. Along with building a house and taking care of both properties I have been so busy I do not know which way is up. I have to drive almost an hour to see her and I am always having to buy something in the way of building supplies or something on the way. I need another me to do all the housework while I am gone. Do you think my husband could stand another me? Ha ha !!! I could be the first one to have a clone and put the old girl to work around here.LOL! I have run out of fuel/ energy. I have not had time to check dmail and I am sorry to those of you that I was late returning your post. I have missed you all too. But Thanks for the Get well wishes and prayers you sent by way of Dmail. Gotta run now and cook for my dh and dd. They will be home soon. I do not know about you guys but I am ready for fall weather and cooler temps, and no mowing. Have a good evening. Love and prayers to all.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Scraps, I'm sorry to hear about your mother. This obviously has been a hard week for you. You need to get some rest if at all possible. Let DH & DD carry some of that load for you, Scaps. Surely your DD can do the housework for you. Maybe some sandwiches and a salad for a meal or 2 or some soup(canned) and a boughten cake or pie or cookies. Make it as easy as possible for yourself for a while.

The weather here is fabulous. I open windows at night and close them in the mornings. That way I keep the cooler night air inside and it lasts all day. I worked in a raised bed this evening to get it ready for planting it full of garlic. That will be my largest planting of garlic I ever remember doing. I love garlic.

Remember Lee in our prayers tomorrow at 1 p.m. I don't know how long the surgery will take but it will be just the beginning for him. He will need all the support and encouragement we can give him.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Thanks leaflady for the kind words. I don't know what I would do without my DD she is a sweetheart. She will graduate HS this year and go to college so I guess I will find out. She buys most of the groceries because my back hurts so bad when I have to walk alot. She helps with cooking all the time and does it by herself when I am working at houseplace or in yard. She loves to cook and does not like yardwork so we trade out jobs. All I have to do is give her a choice between outdoor chore and house work and she will gladly take the indoor job. She is a hard working teen. She worked a babysitting job full time at age 13 in the summer and every summer since then until this year and she worked all summer at the YMCA. She is so special I do not know how I will survive her being gone. I have a daughter that is 27 also and they are both great girls. It was hard letting go the first time but I had the baby here to hug when worried about the eldest. Now I won't have anyone but hubby and he is too busy to stop for a hug. LOL. You have been there and done that so tell me... How do you get by without them when they grow up and leave the nest? With fibro I have relied on them so much to help with chores that I will have to hire help for that but I do not know how I will cope without knowing she is safe in bed at night. I never go to bed until she is home from work or ballgames etc. I will need your advice on this I am sure. Gotta go to bed, Good night!!Love and Prayers!!!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Scraps, it is hard to let them go. I still feel concern for all of ours. You are fortunate to have such a loving relationship with your teenage daughter. We didn't have that with some of our children and frankly it was a relief when those children left home. It ended much of the fighing between them and their siblings and them and us. The ones we were close to were hard to let go of. I wish all of them lived close to me. But only Kyle is near me. Kris is 90 miles away, one is an over the road trucker, one lives in Houston at this time, and one we never hear from is in TN. You never stop loving them and praying for GOD's blessings and will in their lives.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Leaflady, I appreciate your response, I was not real close with my mom and so I understand that sometimes it just does not happen. I love her dearly but we just do not see eye to eye on things. I am more honest and God fearing and she holds it against me to this day that I was not another boy.LOL. She loved her 3 boys and dad loved me. She always said I messed up her having 6 boys but she stopped trying after 4th child / 3rd boy. So it is not my fault.LOL. I tried hard to be as tough as a boy and now I pay for it with aches and pains from broke bones along with fibro. I hate that you are not close with all of your children. I know it is hard sometimes to be close to someone that does not want it.
I worked on the house place today until I could not move but it was a beautiful day and my brother was here to help so I raked the back yard and he weedeated around some stumps and then I pulled up poison ivy vines. I was careful and washed it off with something that is supposed to remove the oils that cause rash, I can't remember what it is called but it helps. Needless to say I hurt too bad to try to sleep yet. I am waiting for meds to kick in before trying. I love the quite and peacefulness up there on my place and so it was a good day. I will pay big time tomorrow though with stiffness. I would love to have the energy I had before fibro just until house and yard are perfect, at least, if not forever. I wonder how I ever did it all when I worked as a teachers aide to handicap children and drove their bus and raised a family, had a vegy garden and flowers. Oh well, I am Thankful for the Blessings I have . Oh, sorry for being long winded. Love and Prayers!!!!!!!!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

With my post polio and osteoarthritis my gardening chores were at a complete standstill for well over a month. Well my rheumatoligist gave me my usual injection to help with the pain in my shoulders and allow me to use my arms above my shoulders with some bearable pain but not as before. But on my last visit he also gave me something new for my shoulders called LIMBREL and I have been taking one a day for the past ten days and it is making a big difference. Check with your doctors! It is expensive but you can get a 50% discount at::
Concord Pharmacy
1150 Lake Hearn Dr
Atlanta, Ga 30342
404 781-2229

Scraps,
God's Word tells us that he loves, protects, guides and cares for His children. Nowhere in there does it mention that He has any grand children. Your child is also His child. You must believe Him ( and I know that you do) and praise Him for the promises and love that He bestows on us., each and every day (and moment) of our lives.

Love,
Sheri

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

hey everybody, It has been a long month with the fibro here. I have also had computer problems but managed to get on line today if it will stay on long enough to type a quick hello. I need to get my cousin over to go over this computer with a fine tooth comb lol. last time it was something i did wrong that messed it up but I think it is a virus slowing it down now. The house is coming along slowly but now the inside part can be done whenever. We have board and batton done but not stained and need to stain concrete still. next big chore is sheetrock. I have missed you guys but it has been crazy month of endless trips to nursing home and lowes. We should have bought stock in the place before we started. It seems like they have beat everybodys price around here on everything. well, hubby is cooking me a steak and says it is done so I better run. DD had classmate age 19 killed in carwreck last night hit by drunk driver who had his grandkids in car 6 and 8 years old killed all of them. Pray for them please. Alot of senseless pain. The student took part in a students for drunk drivers program on monday. Love and prayers, Scraps

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ohh that is terrible! How difficult for your DD! How awful for the family, the town, everyone affected! My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved! And you, enjoy your steak.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I knew there was a good reason for me to be on the computer on a Sunday morning. Now I know.

What senseless pain that man's bad choices has caused. Your DD, the classmates family, and the family of that drunk man all need our prayers desperately. The pain they are suffering now is beyond words. I'm sure the grandchildren are with JESUS and will be spared the trauma of life in a family with an alcoholic. The classmate's must learn to forgive the man. I know that sounds impossible, but if we want forgiveness and mercy we must first give it. So must your DD. Hard? Almost beyond words hard. But the benefits are also beyond words. He can't be hurt by the anger and pain they feel, but if they don't forgive he will be controlling them from his grave.

I spent most of yesterday cleaning one section of the living room. I wiped done the lower part of the wall, wiped off the woodwork, wiped the couch both frame and seat and back and vaccumed the floor over there about 3 times. The rest of the house is still dirty and needs at least a vaccuming. A 30 min. job as I only use 4 rooms, the bath and hallways of this big house. The utility room is closed off most of the time. I use it for laundry and storing food. It is also the entrance room from the back door. But we don't heat it in the winter or cool it in the summer.
I need to open the spare bedroom tho and clean off the bed so our grandson can have the bed to sleep in. He will be here for a week or so to finish the electrical rewiring of the whole house. The kitchen is mostly finished, there is wiring run to my bedroom for the outlets, and the utility room is about 1/2 done. He did most of the work with his mother holding his hand so to speak and our oldest son did some. Grandson Shadoe(Shad)should be here sometime today.

Must get moving or I'll miss church again today. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

hello everyone sorry I haven't had time to check in lately but I wanted to take a moment to say Hello. I Thank you for the prayers and response about that awful accident. Things have settled down some now, we were all in shock. It is so senseless and heart breaking to lose a young person in such a way. We did not know the student well but it was tough on all the students but I think they have a better understanding of how dangerous it is to drink and drive. It hit me and DD very hard because it could have been her just as easily because she drives home on the same road everyday. She could not have been more than a few minutes ahead of him coming in from the ballgame. She said it really made her more cautious now so that is a blessing. We never know how close we are to death until it hits close to home. I have another prayer request now, for myself, I had to have biopsy done on breast because they found small 1 centimeter lump/spot. It is so scary. I know none of this has anything to do with gardening but I needed to talk to someone other than family. I do not want them to worry. With fibromyalgia they are always hearing me grunt and complain so I hate to say anything until I have results. Just keep me in your prayers.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have just sent a plea to our Father in JESUS name for a healing and that you will know you are being held in HIS loving arms. Climb up on HIS lap, Scraps, just like you would have done with your earthly father and bask in HIS love and protection. It is a wonderful feeling.

We got some rain last night. I have no idea how much but the ground is wet. I'll go look in the rain gauge afterwhile. This will help the newly planted garlic cloves to make roots before it freezes. I got about 40 - 50 planted last week.

Shad & his mother came Saturday and did a lot of wiring and got the bathroom hook up properly. They did a lot of wire run in the attic so he can just drop wires down to the outlets and hook them up and connect the ceiling lights. He was suppose to have come back yesterday but didn't and was suppose to have called me last night but didn't. I'll believe he is coming when he walks thru the door. He is no longer the reliable person he use to be.

I think all the crop tenents have their crops harvested and the last one is ready to haul them off in his semi & trailer. At least that is how it looks.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We just got an estimate on having some work done on the house - new doors, mostly - and it was so much less than we expected! It's getting cold here but it sure will be nice to have some of the holes closed up! (I mean the holes in the doors... I guess the doors are holes, aren't they?)

Scraps, I wish you all the health that you need and the strength to cope with whatever life has up its sleeve. Keep us posted on your biopsy results - we're here and we care!

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

hello everybody sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I had to buy new computer processor thingy. The biopsy was benign Thank the Good Lord. Amen.They said come back in one year. The house is slowly coming along, we have duct work almost ready and are getting water line dug. Every step is a step closer. I am just so impatient I can't wait. I have so much work to do here to get ready. I have started getting rid of stuff I will no longer need, since my youngest will graduate this year I have alot of things I have saved for school projects and posters etc. I love projects and I have always done crafts in vacation bible school at church and now I am not able to stand the pain standing on my feet doing crafts with kids. So all my pack rat stuff has to go. It is amazing the stuff I saved for kids projects, mismatched socks for puppets and broken jewels for decorating them. I even had a bag of paper towel cardboard tubes that were for some project . I am planning on selling some junk at garage sale too. well, Gotta run, well, mosey or waddle along is more like it LOL but goodnight, and Thanks for the love and prayers it worked Halleluia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, Halleluia is right! Woohoo! Hooray!

We had a garage sale this year - my first ever. We grossed $57 and DH said he would have paid me $57 NOT to have it! There are still boxes of unsold stuff sitting around. Grrrr.

Hi all,
I have just been diagnosed (after MRI of both knees with torn meniscus in each knee (2 in 1) and scar tissue of an old one in the other + baker cysts in both, one that is "lobulated and full of debris.
I see the surgeon Wed morning and am in bilateral hinged braces in the meantime
~~~I have been complaining of severe knee pain for 2 or more years now. they (the VA) have done Xrays, but ever follow up with MRI
Of course there aren't any attorneys that are even interested in taking on a federal case....so we Veterans just keep getting shafted and shafted over and over. I follow my records like hawk, getting a copy of each visit note a couple days after the visit. I have been labeled, of course as a trouble maker. and as a chronic pain sufferer, they have kindly added on that I have Narcotic "issues"
"CYA" is the ONLY game that the Va and our govt plays wholeheartedly.
I am sick of it.....totally sick of it
Birdie .

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Boo hoo, poor Birdie! Yeah, doctors are an 'interesting' bunch. Good for you for being so vigilant!! Keep the faith.

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Hello Birdie, I am sorry about your Knee and that I did not see post sooner. I have been so busy lately I do not have time to stop and chat. I hate you are having so much pain. that is what fibro patients deal with day in and day out and I would not wish it on anyone. Well, .... maybe my exhusband who did not care, LOL. Anyway I hope you are doing better by now. I twisted my knee or something recently and I know it is awful pain. You have my sympathy, compassion, and prayers. Have a good day. Scraps.

Hi there dear friends,
My surgery yesterday went very well. Much faster than expected. The surgeon said my knee was a real mess, but he cleaned it out and I should be much better than I have been in many years.
The really cool part is that when I asked him if he was a believer, a Christian, he very enthusiastically replied, "Yes!". Then I asked if he would pray with me before the surgery and he said "of course!, you want to or me?". I asked him to pray and he said a very touching prayer, asking the Lord to guide him and everything in the OR, help me tolerate anesthesia, surgery post op and everything, ending of course in Jesus' name......Oh, dear friends,I wish I could share with you the peace and serenity that I felt after that prayer.
So, I'm at my Mom's, who doesn't even have a computer, but apparently there is somebody in the neighborhood who doesn't have a security on their wireless router. consequently, much to my surprise, I Am able to get on line and share my good news with you all! Cool, huh!?!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

BB, that is such a wonderful testimony. I wish I had had the presece of mind to do that. My pastor & his wife had been there tho so I wasn't without covering,

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

What a comforting feeling, that must have been, Sheri!

Yes, and my nurse knows the Lord also and was in the little room when Dr L prayed, so......per scripture, "where 2 or more are gathered together in His name, there He is in the midst ..."
I am going to nap now.
Also, if I have somehow tapped into someone else's system, I probably shouldn't stay on too long.
I praise the Lord for His care in both my and Leaflady's situations, as I know He is our ultimate caretaker, and it really could not get much better than that.
Hugs,
Sheri

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Birdie, tap in all you wish. We are always ready to welcome new family members. And family is what we consider ourselves. So much love & compassion on this site.

I'm back home now, and doing great. The other knee will be done Jan 29, so I will stay with my Mom for a few days then too.
While at Mom's when I posted a week or so ago, when I got thru to you guys by some fluke,... I really got slammed about "illegally getting on line", since Mom didn't have an internet connection. I don't know how or why I was able to post to you guys, but I surely don't know enough about computers to have done anything intentionally underhanded. I just turned on my puter and it said that I had wireless connection, so I went on line briefly. Man, did some computer geeks at DG get upset and start hounding me with ugly accusations when all I did was go to their site and ask how it could have happened. the thread was taken off by Mgmt. at the request of some nice understanding person that apparently could tell that I had no idea how it had happened and certainly no lascivious intentions. Wow.....I'l stick with you guys and the gardening people that are kind and friendly!!!
I think God just gave me a way to let those that had been praying for me know that I was OK.
Interesting Huh?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

What a lousy way to treat you!! I'm thankful someone in management came to your rescue even tho the thread was removed.

This part of the DG family is oving & would not reat anyone like that.

Have a bless and joyous HOLY DAY.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wait, DG admin. were being harsh with you? Grrrr. D-mail me?

NO, NO Carrie...some people on the computer forum..please,re-read my text.
DG admin kindly removed the thread.. I assume to get the hounds off my back
(edited for clarity only)

This message was edited Dec 21, 2008 6:37 PM

Oh my gosh, now I wish I hadn't even mentioned it. Lord knows I don't want anything started again

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Yes, we need to forgive these harsh people and let this matter drop since Admin. took Birdie's side and removed the thread. Let us not have hard feelings & unforgiveness in our lives. Especially at Christmas.

So glad I checked back in at this time.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh I GET IT! Sorry, dumb of me...

Carrie, you are funny and sweet and thankyou for being so ready to jump in there to my defense.
(FYI...U no dumb!!) after all -- U R the H2O bringer!!
Hugs,
Sheri

this is a test--Accessible Gardening: Newest I CAN thread

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday to Scraps!

Lena, MS(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the Birthday wish and I am sorry for not being able to get on lately my mom is in hospital and has been since mid december. She had abcess on gall bladder and nursing home did not catch it until it was BAD she has been bad sick and had to get drainage tube put in and it will be in until mid january and then they will try to do surgery if her heart can take it. the hospital is 45 minute drive so all i have done lately is go back and forth. Do laundry and eat and go again. I had to look up a plant in profile for a friend and saw that I had missed my birthday. Oh well I guess if you are to old to remember them they do not count. LOL. have a good day to all and I will try to check in more frequently.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hope your mom does OK! My dad is the same thing - he's in an assisted living place in this area but it takes almost an hour to get there and he usually yells at me when I go visit him, too. We were never close (Dad and I). It's tough when it's your mom.

I will keep you both and yur families lifted up in prayer.
Sheri

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Scraps, You & your mother will be in my prayers. JESUS is with you holding all of your family in his loving arms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.