What Makes us Different - please Share #3

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The last thread was over 100 replys to I thought I would start another one.

What makes us different is varied, but most of it has to do with a Can Do attitude that is beyond what most people possess and what someone on here called Creative Flexibility. We each have similar problems tho we react to them differently on some days and in different situations/conditions. On the other hand, we do exactly the same thing at times.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/890417/#new and I'll go and link this thread to the old one.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I think this is only #2, by the way, but thank you for starting this new thread.

I volunteered to help teach musicianship and sight-reading to my daughter's new choir, which has a skills component, and was accepted! (It's something I used to do 25 - 30 years ago as a grad. assistant.) I have to "student teach" for the fall, since there aren't enough rooms yet and we need to establish that we have the same system, vocabulary, technique, etc. That starts in a few weeks, and I'm pretty jazzed!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Bravo!! They are lucky to get you, plus the kids will even more than music from you. WooHoo!

A dear friend just called, he has been diagnosed with MS. I'm thanking you all and God that I know what to do/say to help him.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Cathy, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I'm glad we have helped you know what to say to him tho. That is a difficult diagnosis to handle. Has he suspected it for long?

Great news on the teaching job, Carrie. Everyone at that school will benefit from your presence on the staff.

I cleaned my keyboard this afternoon and now the right hand shift key doesn't work. It was really dirty. I have the bad habit of eating while using the computer. I know they make covers for the straight flat keyboards but mine is one of the split curved ones and I've never seen covers for one of these.

I cleaned house today. Well, some of it anyway. I dusted most of the living room and need to do the floor now. I also cleaned out the console in the van and brought it in to wash in the tub. Cleaned the kitche table of mail, etc. and the dresser beside my bed. All in an effort to find that check. I'm ready to call my son and ask for a new one. But I sure got some cleaning done looking for it. Thursday is my usual cleaning day anyway.

God bless and keep each of you.

I truly wish I was a better house keeping. I have signifigant less frustration and "lost" stuff when my house is clean and organized. I have a DSIL that actually LIKES cleaning, she really doesn't have hobbies either (THAT sure helps with reducing clutter & messes!)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I eat while I use the computer too! It's not a school, it's the Boston City Singers.
http://www.bostoncitysingers.org/
Good job on all that cleaning! I've been trying to get everything together for a garage sale Saturday. My DH has already postponed it 3 or 4 times. If he postpones it again, I may put him in the dumpster with all this junk!!

Ooooooooo.... I'm afraid it would be ME in the dumpster, not my Sweetie! I wish I could get more of this stuff sold and GONE! I am about to give up and donate a lot more just to get it all GONE!!!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I won't really put him in the Dumpster.... how would I get him in?

Carrie my dear, when a woman WANTS to put a DH in the dumpster, I never doubt she will find a way!! LOL

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL, shucks, ok, I don't REALLY want to. I'd rather have the Yard Sale be over in half an hour, everything gone and $500 - $1000 in my pocket. More likely it will take all day, still require a trip to Goodwill,and I'll have $17.50 in my pocket, which would be SO not worth it.

Yes, on one of my yard sales I actually came out in the hole! We had the yard sale at my house, I placed the ad & when lunch time came I fed the "workers" that were there!
Net = LOSS! I generally place a few ads in Craigslist but I don't do the whole yard sale thing, just not worth it to me.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I seldom attend yard sales. Not much that I want so unless something that is sitting up front or is very large and colorful in the back of the sale catches my eye it is unlikely I will stop at one. I figure everything I have is a gift/blessing from GOD and was likely given to me in the first place. So I just donate things to a thrift store and be done with it.

Our oldest son came by the store today and said that if he doesn't get a load going somewhere besides Houston where he refuses to go right now he and his wife will probably come up this weekend and he will work on the electrical project here in the house. I hope he got a load because they need the income, but I hope he didn't because the project needs to move forward. I'll call him in a bit and see which way it is going. Maybe I'll make an apple dessert of some kind if they are coming. The apples are getting nice and ripe and need to be picked in a week or less. However if they fall off I'll pick them up & will pick the ripest ones.

A tornado is suppose to be in the area so I guess I need to close this down. Barb has called me about 6 times in the last 30 minutes or less.

Leaflady, give us shout when the tornado is past and all is well, I don't want to worry and I'll feel better knowing you are OK.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The first wave of them seems to have passed but I hear there are lots more on the way. We lost power for a couple hours but it is back on now. There is some minor(?)damage on the north and south sides of us but none on our place. I don't mean to sound arragant, but I know the power in the name of JESUS and I just stand on that name & tell the storm it cannot come onto our property or damage anthing or anyone including the animals on this farm. I refuse to live in fear. So I'm off to bed. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hope everything's ok by you, leaf!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

It's a lovely morning and the wind chines are making soft tingling sounds from the fans blowing on them. I have windows open to let in fresh air. There is a nice breeze blowing mostly from the SE from the looks of the plant's movments.

In a while I'll call a neighbor whose husband's children live on a road that is suppose to have had damage.

One of the women from my church is a damage assessor for the storm trackers. She came to check on me right after the storms passed by. I didn't know she does that and was very glad to have her check on me.

So glad you are back and posting with no serious damage at your house.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Where have you guys been?? Wow I have missed you.I am hurting so bad. winter is such misery in every single joint.
Sheri

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, Birdie, I'm here, do you have an electric mattress pad to heat your bed? Way cheaper than heating the whole house and the only way I make it through until April or so... I think I know what you mean. For me, cold = stiffness = spasticity = pain. So I try to keep my muscles warm.

I have a heated mattress pad, too, makes ALL the difference. I think good ones are on sale at www.jcpenney.com
My husband uses one now, too, he has low thyroid function and is always cold. He sleeps so much better now. Hugs, Cathy

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

THANK YOU Cathy! DD #2 has been complaining of the cold in her room for a while. Her room is the tiniest room with the same size heater - she is always warmer than I am to the touch - still, I was planning to get her SOMETHING. Plus I was about to make a big order from JC Penney because of their free shipping until Nov. 5 (you know about that, right)? But I never would have thought to look their for a heated mattress pad - you just saved me a lot of ag and probably a few bucks, too! Thanks!!!

Yes Carrie, I knew about the free shipping, and won't tell you how much I spent on insulated curtains for the bedrooms. I've had my eye on them for ages, much better quality than what Walmart had, and totally washable. I bought a pair last winter to see if they were worth the money and believe they are, so all the windows will be changed out as money allows. I also bought an ugly pair of wool mucklucks. My feet have never been cold before last winter, and they made a huge difference. Before we went to visit my son in Colorado, I ordered CuddlDuds. They are thin long underwear, again worth every penny when on sale. You'd think I live in the artic! Grins, C

thanks fro the suggestion. I wear a Fentanyl patch so cannot use any thing that would over heat and maybe overdose the medication. Hottubs are out...heated mattress pads are out.....sometimes it seams that life just *****, sorry, but really difficult time here.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, Birdie, no wonder you are blue! Hmmm, no heat. Cold? Do ice packs maybe take away the pain? Probably not; that is more like for sprains and strains. So sorry, dear. Can we put our collective heads together and think of anything for Birdie? Wool long underwear? (I wear smartwool from October to April. It's expensive but worth it, I think.)

Aw Carrie yoou're sweet!
Sheri

When I lose weight, I always have trouble staying warm. At its worst I could not get my bed warm with my own body heat so I was miserable. Then I discovered the heated mattress pad. I would turn it on, go brush my teeth & wash up, then crawl into bed and shut it off. It took the chill off the bed and made it possible for me to get to sleep.

Now that I have remarried, my husband needs to be MUCH warmer than me to sleep. The thermostat was one of those "adjustment kind of things" that people sometimes go thru in marriage. He knows I can't sleep if I'm too warm, he gets sick if he can't keep warmer than most people would want to be. We bought a heated mattress and he cranks his side up. Works for us!

Birdie, I hope you find some winter products that work for you. Several of the items mentioned are GREAT products like the CuddleDuds, very soft and comfortable.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I use a plain heat pad which I keep under my hips/lower back. I've tried the padded pretty blue ones but haven't had much success with them. So the smaller less expensive one are what I get. I have to wrap it in a heavy hand towel which I tape with duct tape to fit the heat pad. As long as you keep it away from the pain patch you should be ok. As long as I have that and maybe a hot water bottle at my feet in the worst times I'm ok. I also keep my room quite warm in the winter. Hope this helps.

Thanks All you wonderful friends (and fellow sufferers). You have reminded me of my long silk underwear and t/tank/long sleeve shirts- I will search for them. Also I Have used one of those adhesive heat pads on my lower back and it was very helpful~~ Walgreen's frequently has the lumbar sized one on sale for under $2. M mom reminded me of knee warmers. Sometimes I think my "Fibro fog" dumps me in a stagnant or "stalled" mental zone where my problem solving skills just don't work without a jump start.
Soooo...
Thanks Again
Hugs, Sheri

Yes, I've had a friend with "Fibro fog" that sometimes hampers her thinking. I'm glad you got a jumpstart!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Boy, then I guess I have MS muddle.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I like those ThermaCare pads too. They help with back pain a lot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.