Bird Watching: Daily Pics - Volume 136

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

We're up to volume 136 of the daily pictures already - Wow!
If you would like to go back to vol. 135, the following link will take you there: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/900240/

A picture of the semi-tame Steller's Jay who comes to visit me.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

hmmm, peanut or strawberry. tough decision!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

My next door neighbor tried to get Jay to take peanuts from him and failed. But, he will take peanuts from me, if I but them on the neighbors porch.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Mrs. Ed, No, the Jay doesn't eat the strawberries, but the Robins spoil quite a few in the strawberry patch. The strawberries do add nice color to the pictures.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

It sure would be nice, if all birds were as easy to "pose" with colorful backgrounds, and photograph at six feet, as this Jay.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Melbourne, FL

Beautiful pics! It's a wonder the Jays don't choke themselves when they stuff numerous peanuts into their throats.

Marlton, NJ

Wonderful pics Gary! Thanks for starting the new thread!

Margaret, I love that Butcher Bird in the last thread!

This message was edited Sep 11, 2008 7:58 AM

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I just adore your jay Gary!

More Gold Finch!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Of my several warbler pics from yesterday, I am pretty sure this is a Blackburnian Warbler...corrected ID...caught by Gary and confirmed on another site!

This message was edited Sep 12, 2008 10:37 AM

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Marlton, NJ

Love the Warblers nanny!

I was so happy to see some Tufted Titmouse in the yard today,they don't come around very often and their very difficult for me to photograph as their very fast and rarely sit still. (2 pics)

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

female Cardinal

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

American Goldfinch (male)

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Black-capped Chickadee

Thumbnail by pelletory
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Quoting:
I am pretty sure this ia a Myrtle Variety, Yellow Rumped...

I'm sure it is not a Yellow Rumped Warbler. My guess would be a Blackburrnian Warbler, fall color adult.

Dang... you maybe right ...I got sooo sick of looking at my book last night...They all started to look alike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marlton, NJ

LOL, that's the way I get about Warblers;very frustrating. :-)

and let's not forget that there is a whole category called "Confusing Fall Warblers"

in my book at least!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Jay stopped by for a photo shoot again today.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Playing in the Pansies.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen

I got this very , very bad pic yesterday evening. I am shooting into the light sooo...anyway I think but am not 100% it is a Red-shouldered Hawk

Thumbnail by nanny_56
(Zone 3b)

Hi ~ pelletory; thanks for the invitation to post a couple of photos.
These Immature Sandhill Cranes are getting ready to migrate.
The field here in Palmer, Alaska, was filled; but most took off as I was driving to the field.
There are certainly some gorgeous bird photos posted here and has been great browsing getting here.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Sandhill Cranes ~ Palmer, Alaska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Palmer, Alaska

Thumbnail by kiska

I can't wait for the Sandhill Cranes to migrate through!!

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pics kiska! Thanks so much for posting them. I love seeing pics of the Sandhill Cranes and those immature ones are adorable!

Please come back and see us as often as you want.

awww, those are so cuteeeee!

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Gary, nice start to the new thread with the Steller's Jay. They are a regal looking bird. Could we trade a few Jay's ?

Pelle, nice series of backyard birds.

kiska, it must be a great sight to see a flock of Sandhill Cranes in an open field.

nanny, good shot of the warbler whatever it is. I, too, find them confusing.

This morning I took a few photographs at one of my bird feeders. One of the visitors was the Red-bellied Woodpecker.

Thumbnail by linthicum

The White-breasted Nuthatch was also a frequent visitor ..............

Thumbnail by linthicum

And, of course, the noisy Blue Jay ...........

Thumbnail by linthicum

A flock of Blue Jay's were making quite a racket. I thought, well, they want some more peanuts. So, as I was walking down the steps to my feeder in flew this Cooper's Hawk and landed on a nearby fence. I walked back up the steps, put back the peanuts and grabbed my camera. Much to my surprise the Hawk stayed put for about 50 photos.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Oops !!! I forgot the Tufted Titmouse .......

When the Cooper's Hawk arrived, they all disappeared.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Melbourne, FL

Senasational shots, Linth. Can't blame them for taking off when the Hawk arrived.....but he sure is gorgeous!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Kiska, nice shots of the Crain's. The weather has been so gray and rainy lately, I haven't been up your way recently.

Linthicum, beautiful shot of the Cooper's Hawk. The Ospreys, you started the last thread with, were fantastic also. I've been rather busy lately, and they had been posted for several days before I saw them,.

Marlton, NJ

Wonderful shots of all the birds Linth! Glad the Coopers stayed around for you; he's a beauty!

PERTH, Australia

Gary, the Steller's in the flower bed is such a riot of colour.

Pelle, I love all your photos, but the Tufted Titmouse is adorable. Serious question - how do you refer to them in plural form?

nanny, gorgeous warbler, no matter what type it is. And remember, someone's away, but I see Gary's donning the mantle in Resin's absence.

Kiska, the cranes are fantastic. What an amazing sight to have seen the field filled with them.

linthicum, beautiful shots. How about that cooperative hawk.

I have to post one from a few days back. I have a bung elbow and shoulder and can't lift my camera. This is one of seven cygnets at our local lake. It's neck is getting longer.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pic Margaret; he's precious! Hope you feel better real soon.

Gary, Linth or someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's still said the same way.

But its funny because I was thinking the same thing today. :-)

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Love the photo, Margaret!

I remember all to well that someone is away...thus the headache from looking at pics and back & forth...yuck!!

Here is another REALLY BAD pic...Northern Flicker this time! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.